Author Topic: Alien Isolation discussion topic  (Read 55745 times)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Alien Isolation discussion topic
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:18:01 pm »
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Alien-Isolation/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025345085e

Artwork:

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131211095305/avp/images/3/36/Isolation_small.jpg

http://www.onlysp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Ba5QO6ZCIAA5YxK.jpg

"Discover the true meaning of fear in Alien: Isolation, a survival horror set in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger. Fifteen years after the events of Alien™, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, Amanda enters a desperate battle for survival, on a mission to unravel the truth behind her mother's disappearance. As Amanda, you will navigate through an increasingly volatile world as you find yourself confronted on all sides by a panicked, desperate population and an unpredictable, ruthless Alien. Underpowered and underprepared, you must scavenge resources, improvise solutions and use your wits, not just to succeed in your mission, but to simply stay alive."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:34:29 am by Will »

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: "Alien: Isolation" shows up on Xbox Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 05:27:47 am »
This is made by a new team at Creative Assembly (A Console team separate from their Total War team).
So how it turns out is anyone's guess...

The premise sounds good, at least.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:58:31 am »
Like many people have said before: the concept sounds good on paper.

If they can have something along the line of Outlast, then that's a good idea.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:03:47 am »
I'm just hoping (but I'm sure it'll happen) that people don't call the game shit at this point just because of Alien: Colonial Marines. I mean, yes, they're the same franchise. But a different developer makes a WORLD of difference. Ghostbusters on NES and Master System is pretty shitty, but on the Genesis and the 360/PS3 ones were awesome. It wasn't some curse the franchise carried, it was just who developed it.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: Alien Isolation discussion topic
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:34:46 am »
game has been announced, updated topic title

see our post on the front page for more info

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/01/07/sega-officially-reveals-alien-isolation-trailer-official-site-and-platforms-revealed/

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:11:05 am »
http://www.destructoid.com/alien-isolation-captures-the-mood-of-ridley-scott-s-film-267596.phtml

destructoid hands on preview, dude says the game is really "fucking scary". xD
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:15:31 am by Will »

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:08 am »
I'm just hoping (but I'm sure it'll happen) that people don't call the game shit at this point just because of Alien: Colonial Marines. I mean, yes, they're the same franchise. But a different developer makes a WORLD of difference. Ghostbusters on NES and Master System is pretty shitty, but on the Genesis and the 360/PS3 ones were awesome. It wasn't some curse the franchise carried, it was just who developed it.

I loved Ghostbusters for the Master System at the time. 

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:51:36 pm »
I hope people don't call the game "shit" at this time either, but I think they have every right to be skeptical. I'm pretty skeptical myself.

Aliens: Colonial Marines had some great-looking trailers too. And Gearbox was a similarly noteworthy developer.

I think Sega needs to make this game playable, both to the press at large and to the public, as soon as possible so that they can quickly see that what we're glimpsing now (hopefully) isn't another stunt.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 04:52:51 pm »
I loved Ghostbusters for the Master System at the time. 

Me too. It trimmed a lot of the fat the NES version was forced to carry for whatever reason. I still enjoy it to this day. It's not as good as the Genesis game, no, but I think it's "crap factor" is grossly overstated.

Based on the trailer, I feel it's gonna' be better. The story's a bit baffling though. Why must we bring Ripley's daughter into this? Feels a bit unnecessary. However, the gameplay looks a bit more like survival horror than action, which will be welcomed after the plethora of action/first-person shooters we've received. Also, it's being developed in-house using SEGA's Creative Assembly, so there shouldn't be any production issues like with Colonial Marines. Certainly looks freaky.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:54:33 pm by mylifewithsega »
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 08:02:31 pm »

I never played any other version of Ghostbusters besides the SMS version.  How was the Genesis one better?  Besides 16-bit of course.

I like that it's about Ripley's daughter.  We know she'll die in her 60's though.  It's a cool tie in to the first 2 movies.  I really want to know how the alien got on that space station that looks like the interior of the Nostromo.  The Nostromo blew up.  As long as they put some thought into the reason, I'll be happy. 

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 08:45:53 pm »
Genesis Ghostbusters was a platformer developed by Compile and SEGA with upgradable weapons and a non-linear level select. Art style is very much Japanese, with some really inventive bosses. Really great soundtrack too.

---

Regarding Isolation, I think we're all smart enough not to be so leery about the quality of the game. Sure we still don't know if it'll be AAA, but it's certain to not be the mess that was Colonial Marines for a number of reasons: handled in-house, competent dev, solid concept, very positive hands-on impressions.

Not to say they still can't mess it up, but I'm positive about this one. Though... I'm afraid to play it.

Offline nuckles87

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 08:58:53 pm »
I hope people don't call the game "shit" at this time either, but I think they have every right to be skeptical. I'm pretty skeptical myself.

Aliens: Colonial Marines had some great-looking trailers too. And Gearbox was a similarly noteworthy developer.

I think Sega needs to make this game playable, both to the press at large and to the public, as soon as possible so that they can quickly see that what we're glimpsing now (hopefully) isn't another stunt.

There is a world of difference between how the two games are being sold to the press: Colonial Marines was only demonstrated hands off until the year before release, where they then only demonstrated the multiplayer mode, which was the only part developed by Gearbox.

Isolation has already been made playable to the press, and was announced at the same time several hands-on previews were released. Not just Destructoid, but CVG as well.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 10:51:18 pm »
please be good please be good

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 12:50:20 am »
There is a world of difference between how the two games are being sold to the press: Colonial Marines was only demonstrated hands off until the year before release, where they then only demonstrated the multiplayer mode, which was the only part developed by Gearbox.

Isolation has already been made playable to the press, and was announced at the same time several hands-on previews were released. Not just Destructoid, but CVG as well.

People aren't going to remember that. I don't remember how Colonial Marines was being promoted 5 years ago, or whenever it was announced.

Anyway, Creative Assembly is certainly an acclaimed developer (as was Gearbox, albeit they were a bit more hit or miss) but they aren't necessarily experienced with this type of game, so I think some healthy skepticism is allowed. 

I hope for Sega's sake that the game's good. And I hope that, if it is good, that people are willing to give it a chance.

Offline nuckles87

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 01:58:38 am »
I'm not talking five years ago. I'm literally talking the year before it came out. And you were just saying that SEGA needs to make this playable to the press and public as soon as possible. I'm pointing out that they already have made it playable to the press, and will probably be playable at public events before too long. I'm not saying people aren't going to be skeptical, I'm just saying that SEGA is already doing what they can to alleviate that skepticism.