Author Topic: Haruki Satomi apologizes for low quality games  (Read 62706 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Haruki Satomi apologizes for low quality games
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2015, 02:10:52 am »
So releasing a early access game = great prospects for the genre?

Hardly... Sales over a million for the likes of Project Cars in less than a month are . Drive Club, Mario Kart 8 and F1 2015 have all sold well What Dirt as shown, is that even with the game totally incomplete  and over a year from being released and being sold at the price some finished games are,  its sold well and the fanbase has responded to the series going back to its true Rally routes and not trying to sell out trying to capture the USA market. This title will be a very decent seller on the PC and on the consoles too and sould be a million seller on all platforms

The market for good driving games has come back a little (not massive but its came back)  and SEGA could do very well, since no-one makes a better racer than SEGA Japan.   

I know you're, like some others on here, are  desperate to try and get one over me, but you're going OTT a little here. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:12:24 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2015, 02:22:33 am »
I can't believe people are so gullible to actually bother with early access/betas.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2015, 05:39:11 pm »
I swear if SEGA releases a driving game it will do less than 500k copies.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2015, 08:56:04 pm »

Depends I think on the game and how it's marketed. 500k between three markets and three platforms isn't exactly a big number.

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2015, 09:05:51 pm »
Arcade racers fallen a bit out of spotlight over the years.  Upcoming stuff are mostly indie (FAST, 90s Arcade Racer, Drift Stage).  I wouldn't mind they take baby steps bringing this side of the genre back by finally porting Daytona USA 2 while they still have the license.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #185 on: July 29, 2015, 09:57:20 pm »

Well lets face it.. not many SEGA Japan games sell more than that . SEGA Rally could be a million seller on the PC/PS4/One if its done to the standards of the 1st 2 Rally games in the Arcades and builds on the 10 year mode in the DC and it wouldn't cost millions to make the title either
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2015, 10:01:47 pm »
Well lets face it.. not many SEGA Japan games sell more than that . SEGA Rally could be a million seller on the PC/PS4/One if its done to the standards of the 1st 2 Rally games in the Arcades and builds on the 10 year mode in the DC and it wouldn't cost millions to make the title either
Except that most do. Vanquish did over a million on two platforms, so did Bayonetta and so far Valkyria Chronicles did 500k on Steam alone. Yakuza and Sonic have all constantly done more than that since their debut. So, can you point at SEGA style arcade racing games that have done more than 500k?

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2015, 02:22:18 am »
Except that most do. Vanquish did over a million on two platforms, so did Bayonetta and so far Valkyria Chronicles did 500k on Steam alone. Yakuza and Sonic have all constantly done more than that since their debut. So, can you point at SEGA style arcade racing games that have done more than 500k?

Ever or in the last decade? Because Sega Rally used to do that and better back in the 90s. So did Daytona.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2015, 03:43:47 pm »

Sigh.. I was on about SEGA Japan developed games and SEGA Japan got little IP that sells or appeals to games on the work wide stage.  But since you ask and you since this is about Rally, both SEGA Rally on the Saturn and Sega Rally II on the DC sold over 500k, didn't Initial D PS2 come close to sales of 500k.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline parallaxscroll

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2015, 12:33:12 pm »
Hey guys, my first post here  8)

Just wanted to say, even though we're not "owed" these games, I think it would be great if Sega did an HD racing collection of their Model 2 and Model 3 arcade games. There's Daytona USA on PSN (PS3) and XBLA (Xbox 360) which is exceptional in quality. With that HD port as the basis,  Daytona USA 2, Scud Race (aka Sega Super GT) and Sega Rally 2 come to mind first.  Indy 500 and Manx TT Superbike from the Model 2 board would be great also.

There would be a huge userbase to sell a Sega racing collection to:  PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2015, 01:08:24 pm »
Hey guys, my first post here  8)

Just wanted to say, even though we're not "owed" these games, I think it would be great if Sega did an HD racing collection of their Model 2 and Model 3 arcade games. There's Daytona USA on PSN (PS3) and XBLA (Xbox 360) which is exceptional in quality. With that HD port as the basis,  Daytona USA 2, Scud Race (aka Sega Super GT) and Sega Rally 2 come to mind first.  Indy 500 and Manx TT Superbike from the Model 2 board would be great also.

There would be a huge userbase to sell a Sega racing collection to:  PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Hello, welcome!

I agree that would be pretty cool. Just don't hold your breath for it!
Made by SEGA

Offline George

« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2015, 01:54:02 pm »
I dunno man, I would have said it would never happen but you never know. Tho I agree Daytona 2 and Scud Race are WAY over due for a console port. The reason I think it might eventually happne is becasue Yosuke Okunari seems to be getting more publicity and this dude's job is basically bringing classic games over. He was the one that started the Heritage Collection, is in charge of the SEGA 3D Classics on 3DS. Now the SEGA games Co new CEO even pushed for ports of Sonic CD, 1/2 on mobile (cuz at the time he was in charge of SEGA's mobile division and not console)

Not to mention Yosuke Okunari is a massive SEGA arcade fan, which shows on the titles they selected for the SEGA 3D Classics (mostly arcade titles).

Also Okunari will be the Japanese guest of honor at this year's Otakuthon:
http://www.otakuthon.com/2015/guests/goh/

Sounds like he is getting more support for his endeavors over the years on porting classics.

Offline parallaxscroll

« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2015, 02:12:39 pm »
We only got a "taste" of Scud Race & Daytona USA 2 at home, with OutRun 2 on the original Xbox. It had two bonus courses, one made from all the tracks from Scud Race and the other with all the tracks from Daytona USA 2 Power Edition.  It was a nice touch by Sumo Digital although almost all the animation was gone and textures, lighting, etc were lower-quality. Still it was a nice tribute to those games.

One thing I would be adamant about, if Daytona USA 2 ever came home: Have both versions, Battle On The Edge and Power Edition.
BOTE had that beautiful forest dome with waterfalls.

Certainly not gonna hold my breath tho...

Offline George

« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2015, 03:17:40 pm »
I agree its nice that Outrun 2 had it but its not the same as actually playing them, those courses where designed to be used with the handling of their respective games. But its nice and its why I like Sumo Digital and hope we get another All-Stars game sometime soon.

Offline parallaxscroll

« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2015, 05:32:20 pm »

Exactly, it's nothing like playing either of those games. It is merely OutRun 2 gameplay with Scud Race or Daytona USA 2 scenery.

Video comparison of arcade Scud Race and the Scud Race bonus track in Japanese Xbox OutRun 2. The Japanese release had some updates to the graphics over the U.S. and EU versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYXkj_M0Uw

Daytona USA 2 arcade vs its OutRun 2 bonus course. Again, Japanese version used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m59F7eCYXOY