Author Topic: The "Dude, What _____ Should I Buy?" Thread  (Read 27363 times)

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
Re: The "Dude, What _____ Should I Buy?" Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 01:44:54 pm »
Apple's new Mac Pro and iMacs have the new i processors.  I'm partial to the iMacs, but that doesn't help you if you are looking for something portable.  I've got 2 iMacs, a Macbook, and 5 Mac Minis (one of them is the new one with the HDMI port, hooked up to the TV--I replaced the Apple TV with it).  

The other 4 Mac Minis I have a plan to set up kiosks with my advertising on them around town.  I've sort of chickened out asking businesses to lend me the space, though.  My wife's not happy about the pile of computers that aren't being used.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 04:10:30 pm »
A Mini is something I'd like to get in the future, the latest version is very appealing since it has the power supply inside the computer itself, and my desktop computer is turning six this year. But for now I'm just looking for a laptop. I'll see, I have until whenever the "back to school" thing lasts. Hehe.

For some reason I'm into small things. *wonders*

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 04:13:32 pm »
The new unibody Mac Mini with HDMI has been awesome, except sitting on the couch, it's really hard to read the fonts that you can't adjust the size in, like iTunes and stuff.  I think Apple needs to think about a system update for people attaching the computer to their TV.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »
Quote from: "Emmett The Crab"
The new unibody Mac Mini with HDMI has been awesome, except sitting on the couch, it's really hard to read the fonts that you can't adjust the size in, like iTunes and stuff.  I think Apple needs to think about a system update for people attaching the computer to their TV.

How about using CTRL+scroll?
SEG4GES

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2010, 09:18:44 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"

That's not what I meant.  There are lots of things in the system where you can't adjust text size big enough.  Web browsers aren't the problem.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2010, 09:22:36 pm »
Double post!  

What HD video camera should I buy?  It's mainly for puppet stuff, so it needs to be able to display what I'm doing on a small TV or monitor.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2010, 09:42:15 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"

That's not what I meant.  There are lots of things in the system where you can't adjust text size big enough.  Web browsers aren't the problem.
No man.. That's CMND+scroll. On the mac CTRL+scroll zooms into the screen :)
SEG4GES

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2010, 02:34:59 am »
I'll have to give that a shot.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2010, 04:58:00 am »
I have a Sony HDR-SR11. It's pretty good but it only does 1080i. Since my computers are too old to play video files from the camera (yes really) I'm not sure if you can make 720p out of those files. Youtube converts them to 720p so it may be possible. Depending on your budget I think something Sony would be a safe bet but I really don't know how the camera market is these days. You should also consider a SLR camera. Some of these record really good video from what I hear. Plus, they take photos.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2010, 05:43:07 am »
I love all the Mac talk going on here!

I;m not an Applehead, but doing design basically means I'm committed to Macs for life. Also, it's a great perk to have one of the few macs at work. Makes me avoid any blockers IT might put up for PC. Wahahahaha!

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2010, 05:49:41 pm »
Guys, I'm an Apple nut. Not because I'm a mindless fanboy, but because I truly feel that my computer (Mac) and musical (iPod) experiences are the best with Apple products.

I've been thinking about getting the iPhone 4. But another phone is sparking my attention: the Samsung Galaxy S.
They appear to be up to eachother. I'm having trouble deciding.. Anyone of you has any opinion on this?
SEG4GES

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2010, 10:04:53 am »
Is that the one where they show Avatar in the commercial?  I would get the iPhone 4, unless for some reason the Samsung has better resolution, but they don't say the resolution on the commercial, or compare it directly to the iPhone 4.  I know the picture on the new iPhone is amazing, and the stories about the antenna are just much ado about nothing.  People just want to invent controversy so they have something to write about.

Is the Samsung an android phone?  If it is some proprietary format I wouldn't even consider it, but I hear Android sales are increasing faster than any mobile platform, so there must be something to it.

For me, I'm thinking of setting up 2 Saturns to play Virtual On with the direct commectiom cable.  Do I need the netlink editions of Virtual On, or is that just for playing with the netlink modem?

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2010, 02:21:52 pm »
The resolution is high enough for the pixels to "melt into eachothers" at normal distance. It is Android. It is 200 euros less expensive.
The iPhone is.. the iPhone. The "antennagate" is the most blown-out-of-proportion issue ever. But the Galaxy seems to offer about the same experience for a cheaper price.

The thing that worries me is: is there any way of synchronizing an Android phone with iTunes?
If there is, I'll get the Galaxy. I freaking love iTunes (I use it on a mac).
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2010, 05:35:03 pm »
I the samsung is open source I would go for that. Probably much easier to use it however you want.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2010, 08:09:40 pm »
Apple doesn't like other devices connecting to iTunes. The Palm Pre kept trying, then Apple would come out with a patch to make it not work.  A quick search for a how to connect to iTunes would give you the answer though.