Author Topic: Why aren't there any Atlus games on Steam yet?  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Artwark

• Total Meseta: 0
Why aren't there any Atlus games on Steam yet?
« on: July 16, 2017, 12:13:59 am »
So I checked any atlus games on Steam and there's not a single game like Shin Megami or anything like Catherine on there...only just a few games published by Atlus USA.

So what gives? Why aren't there any Atlus games on Steam? Didn't SEGA stated that they are interested in the PC Market?

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Re: Why aren't there any Atlus games on Steam yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 07:38:12 pm »
PCs aren't that popular in Japan.

And for SEGA, it's SEGA of Europe who always made contents for PC.
(Not SEGA of Japan, not SEGA of America).
And since there's no ATLUS on Europe (their Europe games were always published by Deep Silver or NISA), may be that's why.

Offline Artwark

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 06:32:18 am »
But that's still really underwhelming considering there aren't a lot who can't afford more than one consoles to just get games like Persona 5...Really, the PC market is the best for most third parties if you ask me.

Offline Draikin

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 11:58:09 am »
While Atlus makes great games, they can also make some really bad decisions. This is the same company that continues to block the PS4 built-in streaming capability for Persona 5, at a time where other companies are making efforts to further facilitate sharing game footage. So I can imagine at least part of the reason for the lack of Atlus games on PC is their reluctance to release their games on a more open platform, where they have far less control over things like streaming.

Of course, it's probably a question a question of when and not if we'll see Persona 5 on PC. It would be foolish to continue to ignore the market.

Offline Artwark

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:56:51 am »
Of course, it's probably a question a question of when and not if we'll see Persona 5 on PC. It would be foolish to continue to ignore the market.

Exactly. I mean, even Indie devs are better than them knowing that their games are niche and they want to make more money as much as possible.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 04:55:39 pm »
My running theory is that, because the majority of PC work is being done by SEGA Europe, and Atlus has shaky relations at best with European markets, there's no interest or even attempts over there to bring games over. I remember when Atlus was first bought by SEGA, everyone's hope was that it'd mean more Atlus games in Europe. But nope, SEGA Europe has no connection whatsoever.

Of course, there's also the issues of SEGA being hands-off with Atlus and all of SEGA's branches working independently. I'm sure there is some interest in bringing the games over to PC, but probably not at Atlus Japan, and getting that conversation going is likely difficult.