9 (29%)
SEGA Saturn
9 (29%)
SEGA dreamcast
11 (35.5%)
Other
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Favourite SEGA console (not design)  (Read 17951 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Favourite SEGA console (not design)
« on: April 30, 2013, 05:57:05 pm »
SEGA mega drive/genesis defenitly for me. It stands for everything I love about SEGA. Great games, great music with a nice edgy style.

Rocket Knight, Pulseman, Streets of rage, shinobi 3 etc. I also love the soundchip even though its limitations.

If I had to choose one era i'd want SEGA to look back upon and use as an example, it'd be the mega drive/genesis era no doubt.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:35:51 am by CrazyT »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: Favourite SEGA console (not design)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:08:48 pm »
This is another tough one, but for me, Genesis takes the lead with Dreamcast as a close second. I judge all games, even modern ones, against the gameplay standards that those two systems established.

The Genesis had too many good games and too many hours sunk into it that it definitely has the most influence regarding my visual, musical and gaming tastes.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:31:30 pm »
Gonna have to go with Dreamcast. I just love the library and all the surprises that can be found. So many unique titles covering every genre there is. The console itself is great and compact, and the features are excellent.

Genesis is a close second.

Offline stang2712

• Total Meseta: 1
    • my deviantart
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:33:59 am »
the dreamcast id say with the game gear a close runner up because the dreamcast is unique it has its own vibe to it not to mention how alot of the games can changes that vibe to for the genre speaking of the games they have variety unlike modern consoles

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:36 am »
Mega Drive.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ungibbed

• Total Meseta: 4
  • hater of haters...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:44:53 am »
The Saturn will always be a treasure to me. I loved that system and seen the theoretical limits of the system pushed further and further time and time again. With or without the RAM expansion cart.

Many IP's were born and died with the system and a shame that many of the greatest are easily forgotten. It went before its time but the ruthless marketing of Sony was like a stake in our hearts at Sega while we pushed to get the best games over to the US shores as possible.

I'm glad that that I had handled all of Working Designs projects on a personal basis with code assistance and keeping the awesomeness coming while I worked at Sega but every Friday, more cardboard boxes in the hall was a scary sight

We fought many battles and lost the war when Sega did a massive downsizing and many were laid off. Many of which I considered key personnel in getting third party support. The Saturn did go down fighting but I still can't decide if I was lucky or unlucky enough to see the end.
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:54:11 am »
megadrive

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 01:52:11 pm »
I CAN'T DECIDE.
SEG4GES

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 02:21:02 pm »
seriously how can some choose dreamcast over genesis. im talking to the ones that actually lived during when megadrive just came out. surely the dreamcast is bad ass, but the md is so so better.

dc has this skies of arcadia which makes it appear number 1

but MD has loads of games to outrank dc so easy
ofcourse i can understand that peeps that found out that sega exists like some of heres first console is the dc. the ones that are young, and i respect that they say dc is number 1 but as for the olskool peeps who lived to buy sms when it just came out and the md?

i cant believe u would choose dc over md
that is weird

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 02:33:09 pm »
Saturn. It was the first SEGA console I bought for myself, along with the 32X. I bought 'em both when they retired. However, the Saturn get's my attention more so than any other console on my shelf. I love the plethora of arcade ports, like Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, Metal Slug, Elevator Action 2: The Return and the list goes on. That reminds; it's very import-friendly. Saturn has my favorite versions of Bio Hazard and Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight. Not to mention its many exclusives, such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, Deep Fear and Die Hard Arcade. In addition, the controller's still my favorite. To top it all off, it even has VCD playback.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Dreamcast. Yes, it has great graphics and sound capabilities, as well as the ability to play VCDs. Still, I have more issues with that thing than any SEGA console that came before, thanks to faulty lasers and GD-ROMs. The VMU is awesome, but it eats through batteries far too quickly. The controller's fine with the exception of the D-pad and face-button layout. I've never been a fan of the "cross" design. The face-button layout irritates me whenever I try to play a fighting game. Admittedly, it has some of my favorite games, but it doesn't have as many as Saturn for me.

Don't get me wrong; I love all my SEGA consoles, but I favor Saturn. Runner's up would be Genesis (SEGA CD/32X), Master System and Game Gear. I've never played the SG-1000, so I can't say on that one.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 03:11:22 pm »
Saturn. It was the first SEGA console I bought for myself, along with the 32X. I bought 'em both when they retired. However, the Saturn get's my attention more so than any other console on my shelf. I love the plethora of arcade ports, like Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, Metal Slug, Elevator Action 2: The Return and the list goes on. That reminds; it's very import-friendly. Saturn has my favorite versions of Bio Hazard and Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight. Not to mention its many exclusives, such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, Deep Fear and Die Hard Arcade. In addition, the controller's still my favorite. To top it all off, it even has VCD playback.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Dreamcast. Yes, it has great graphics and sound capabilities, as well as the ability to play VCDs. Still, I have more issues with that thing than any SEGA console that came before, thanks to faulty lasers and GD-ROMs. The VMU is awesome, but it eats through batteries far too quickly. The controller's fine with the exception of the D-pad and face-button layout. I've never been a fan of the "cross" design. The face-button layout irritates me whenever I try to play a fighting game. Admittedly, it has some of my favorite games, but it doesn't have as many as Saturn for me.

Don't get me wrong; I love all my SEGA consoles, but I favor Saturn. Runner's up would be Genesis (SEGA CD/32X), Master System and Game Gear. I've never played the SG-1000, so I can't say on that one.

have u played battle garaga? the music man seriously

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 03:55:01 pm »
seriously how can some choose dreamcast over genesis. im talking to the ones that actually lived during when megadrive just came out. surely the dreamcast is bad ass, but the md is so so better.

dc has this skies of arcadia which makes it appear number 1

but MD has loads of games to outrank dc so easy
ofcourse i can understand that peeps that found out that sega exists like some of heres first console is the dc. the ones that are young, and i respect that they say dc is number 1 but as for the olskool peeps who lived to buy sms when it just came out and the md?

i cant believe u would choose dc over md
that is weird
I had both a MegaDrive and a Dreamcast, and though I'm freaking indecided, you're ill to think the MD outclasses the DC easily.
SEG4GES

Offline joe

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 06:13:11 pm »
Based on looks...well for it's time The Master System looked so much more advanced than the other consoles out at the time. 
Saturn looked great period.  Dreamcast looked geat as well.
Internal Design The Dreamcast/Genesis/and Master System were nicely done.  Dreamcast had great components....
But as a personal favorite just for where the system "fell" in my lifetime, I got to go with the Master System...then Dreamcast.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 06:49:33 am »
I have decided.

It is the Dreamcast.
SEG4GES

Offline Kevin-N

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:14 am »
Dreamcast, it has the best libary in a short time.
SEGA fan 4 life !