Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668058 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #2010 on: August 23, 2017, 12:44:33 pm »
It's also WIP footage. Stuff is subject to change. That's standard operation procedure. I also don't think Yu's team wants to pull a Aliens: Colonial Marines on us. They've been consistent with updates, there's work being done and we are going to get this game. And if we get a fourth game after this... so much the better.

Now, having said that, as a crowdfunding tool, Kickstarter has lost all it's steam, methinks. Hence why there's more skepticism about it. Shenmue 3 is likely the last major game to have KS as a tool for funding.

I agree. I still think it can fund little projects (Broken Sword was spot on), but the big ones haven't quite landed on their feet. Sure, most of them are still good but they're not quite what we were expecting. As I said earlier, I think they could have pulled back a bit on the graphics and kept it more inline with the older Shenmue games, but we'll have to wait and see on the result. I have a bit more faith in Yu Suzuki mind as he's one of the industry veterans and if the budget won't let him do something, I think no matter how much of a bitter taste it leaves, he'll have to go without.

I am worried of course. At worst, it could be a broken mess. At best, I think it will be good, but nothing amazing unless you're a Shenmue fan. If this bad, I don't think we'll see Shenmue 4 and finish the story. That's what really bothers me. If that's the case, I really hope we see it in book form or something.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #2011 on: August 23, 2017, 01:44:31 pm »
From the interviews with Yu Suzuki that are beginning to be published and translated, it's sounding like the publishing deal with Deep Silver is enabling them to implement some or possibly all of the stretch goals that weren't met by the Kickstarter. For example, he references Ryo having the opportunity to have a wood chopping job in Choubu, which was originally listed as the $9.5m stretch goal.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2012 on: August 23, 2017, 04:36:25 pm »
Wood chipping is in!? :D

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #2013 on: August 24, 2017, 02:48:20 am »
It's also WIP footage. Stuff is subject to change. That's standard operation procedure. I also don't think Yu's team wants to pull a Aliens: Colonial Marines on us.

Remember when SEGA showed off the 1st screens shots of Shenmue real time running on a DC ? The models didn't look worse but almost the same to the final build. So what gives why are the Shenmue III looking so terrible when it comes to their eyes and faces , they really should be better, I mean that new Character fighting with Ryu looks like the Joker out of Batman.

Feell sorry for Yu and the Shenmue IP. It is done on the cheap and its showing.  There's a saying 'be careful what you wish for, because sometimes it comes true'

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Tad

« Reply #2014 on: August 24, 2017, 03:50:16 am »
Remember when SEGA showed off the 1st screens shots of Shenmue real time running on a DC ? The models didn't look worse but almost the same to the final build. So what gives why are the Shenmue III looking so terrible when it comes to their eyes and faces , they really should be better, I mean that new Character fighting with Ryu looks like the Joker out of Batman.

Feell sorry for Yu and the Shenmue IP. It is done on the cheap and its showing.  There's a saying 'be careful what you wish for, because sometimes it comes true'

As I've explained, Shenmue III is funded by a kickstarter which means we see a lot more of the ugly stuff then we would in a normal controlled fashion as it's an expected requirement to keep backers at least somewhat up to date. Shenmue I and II meanwhile had a seperate PR division that cherry picked what to show and what to hold back - they even got a seperate build called "What's Shenmue?". As Barry and George discussed in their recent Segabits  Talk, I think this is the result of not having a PR team controlling the message.

I also agree with them on the logo. I prefered the old one to this one with a giant S and with Barry on how boring the internet hyperbole is over everything is becoming. Neogaf is a cesspit for this with it's users dramatising over every little thing.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2015 on: August 24, 2017, 06:21:55 am »

True, but that's because the game was build for the Dreamcast (even tough it started out as a SEGA Saturn game), so game models didn't look all that different from the final version. They did however use a lot of the renders from the Shenmue disc in the promotional material.

This game is being developed / rebuilt from scratch using an entirely new engine, so I imagine that changes have to be made and that includes some compromises. Heck, I'm more curious about how the game controls, because the original was developed with the Dreamcast gamepad in mind. You move the Ryo with the stiff D-pad and use the analog to look around. Surely they're not going do it with the ps4 pad.

I also agree with Barry, having a kneejerk reaction to any information or any new media regarding this and other IPs is becoming very tiresome. If there's one thing that no longer moves me is graphics. We've peaked as far as game graphics are concerned. No matter how much money you throw at something they'll never look more than great looking cartoons.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #2016 on: August 24, 2017, 09:39:47 am »
Some more interesting details emerging from various interviews. Thanks go to Yokosuka at Shenmue Dojo for posting these notes:
- Pinball, punching ball and whac-a-mole as mini games.
- The new QTE system consists of QTEs based on "sounds" and "lights".

source: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/700176/gamescom-2017-shenmue-3-souhaite-moderniser-son-heritage.htm

- According Julo from Gameblog, YSnet got a technical issue with a build of the game two months ago and it lead them to disable the facial animation in the trailer.

Note that these newer minigames and QTE elements are in addition to the previously confirmed return of arcade minigames QTE Title and Excite QTE 3.

Yu Suzuki says that the game will take most players about 30 hours to complete.

The number of NPCs in the Choubu area has recently been increased from about 50-60 to about 200.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:43:03 am by Centrale »

Offline Tad

« Reply #2017 on: August 24, 2017, 09:50:41 am »
Thanks Centrale.

The bug with facial animation makes sense as to why they weren't there. The new mini games sound great too.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2018 on: August 24, 2017, 10:13:50 am »
I also agree with them on the logo. I prefered the old one to this one with a giant S and with Barry on how boring the internet hyperbole is over everything is becoming. Neogaf is a cesspit for this with it's users dramatising over every little thing.

That's actually most gaming sites these days; Kotaku, N4G, Dualshockers, etc.. It will never end though. The norm is the entitled gamer, that shit will never go away, especially with Social Media.

Anyways, anyone know if they'll be featuring any SEGA Arcades like the previous ones?
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Centrale

« Reply #2019 on: August 24, 2017, 10:24:28 am »
Anyways, anyone know if they'll be featuring any SEGA Arcades like the previous ones?

As far as I know, there hasn't been any mention of that yet. Although Yu Suzuki has maintained a great relationship with Sega, so it could theoretically be something they agree upon, there is also the factor that Shenmue III takes place in generally more rural settings where high-end arcade games might not have been found. We'll have to wait and see.

By the way, I wanted to share a link to a great site that features numerous translations of interviews as well as interesting explanations of some of the many details of the world of Shenmue, and even travel directions if you ever want to visit Yokosuka... the site is http://www.phantomriverstone.com/ and it's written by a great member of the Shenmue community, known as Switch.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2020 on: August 25, 2017, 10:13:16 am »
Well, i figured the setting may play into why there won't be any arcades, but it was definitely such an incredible idea on the original games. I remember spending so much money on Shenmue playing Space Harrier, lol, pretty ridiculous to play a game, through a game, but it was incredible.

Thanks for the link bro, had never heard of it, lots of great info there.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2021 on: August 30, 2017, 11:01:36 am »
I have the original games, but it would be really nice to actually have a PC HD version of the first two right now. I'm getting that itch to play them again.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2022 on: August 30, 2017, 12:46:37 pm »
I've never played Shenmue 2. I've had it on XBOX for probably 8 years, but never got around to it... Yeah, i know it's bad.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2023 on: August 30, 2017, 04:28:35 pm »
Think they run on all Xbox consoles now, so you should give it a go. I have got both on the DC and S2 on xbox and they're both fine versions, but the xbox version is in english so it is easier to play I find.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2024 on: September 08, 2017, 01:01:11 am »
I've never played Shenmue 2. I've had it on XBOX for probably 8 years, but never got around to it... Yeah, i know it's bad.

It's bigger and better than the first one.  :D 
Be like water.