Author Topic: Tarzan, Civil War, Rogue One and Batman - The Movies of 2016  (Read 22628 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Tarzan, Civil War, Rogue One and Batman - The Movies of 2016
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 09:54:22 am »
I really liked X-Men Apocalypse. While nowhere near as good as the past two X-Men movies, it mopped the floor with the wreck that was X-Men The Last Stand. It was refreshing to be back in that First Class setting, where cast members from the previous trilogy set in the not too distant future were kept at a minimum. I loved Days of Future Past, but it did detract a bit from spending more time with the new cast. This felt like more of a sequel to First Class than DOFP did, thanks to returning characters like Moira MacTaggert and Havoc and plot threads from First Class being picked up.

I can see how some reviewers disliked Apocalypse, but I liked him. Sort of an Emperor Palpatine character, seducing the weak minded mutants to join his cause. Some have said Oscar Isaac is lost in the makeup, but so what? He is an actor, actors lose themselves in costumes and makeup all the time. He wasn't meant to look and sound like the actor, he was playing a character. Ian Mcdiarmid is lost in the Palpatine makeup, as was Boris Karloff lost in the makeup for Frankenstein. I'm just happy they went full makeup rather than a CG villain like the MCU constantly goes for.

Really looking forward to the future films. The post-credits scene opens up some fun possibilities.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 10:09:13 am »
It completely passed me by that the new xmen film was out. Thanks for the spoiler-free opinion. I'll go see it...eventually.

Seen Alice 2 has flopped. I'm sure it'll make its money back. It's still in cinemas, then they have rentals, dvd sales etc.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 11:56:55 am »
I'm a bit annoyed that people are so gung-ho about lodging "plot hole" and inconsistency arguments at the X-Men movies. For starters, I'd argue that there are very few - if any - actual plot holes. Mainly there are just inconsistencies in some dates and mutants appearing at different points in the timeline. But let's remember that this is a superhero franchise that is 16 years old. The MCU, meanwhile, began with Iron Man in 2008. MCU is a baby compared to X-Men. As such, the X-Men movies were not initially produced under the "cinematic universe" multi-film plotting that later franchises would be. Such a template really did not exist. So to bemoan the series because there are inconsistencies between the 2000 film and the 2011 film in when Charles and Erik first met is kind of stupid.   

Outside of the actors changing for Sabertooth, the original X-Men through to X-Men Origins Wolverine are actually very consistent. First Class, which acted as a prequel and light reboot to the series, did introduce a bulk of the inconsistencies but then again many are minor. More often than not, the problems are characters appearing in the present/not too distant future setting and the past, but most of these can be explained away with the fact that characters are not named on screen. So in-universe, the girl who looks like Jubilee in X-Men (2000) is not actually Jubilee. Out of universe, it was a visual easter egg for fans to spot Jubilee in the first film. But since she went unnamed and did virtually nothing on screen, there is no problem. For Emma Frost and Psylocke, we saw characters in Origins and The Last Stand who had similar powers, but again they went unnamed. So the character credited as Psylocke in the credits is not Psylocke, just some unnamed mutant. The Emma in Origins is Emma Silverfox and the Emma in First Class is Frost. Same with Warren Worthington/Angel. The guy in The Last Stand was Warren, the guy in Apocalypse was Angel/Archangel. Warren was not referred to as Angel in the film, and Angel was not referred to Warren in the other film.

The only few characters that pose actual problems are the two Toads and the two Wade Wilsons. Toad's age could line up as him both being in First Class and X-Men, but he looks very different. But I guess you could say he was experimented on and his appearance was mutated or some nonsense. The two Wade Wilsons, one appearing in 1979 and one in the present day makes no sense. Not even the Days of Future Past timeline can clear this up, as it would make no sense for the exact same man to be born 20+ years earlier.

---

Anyway, I love the series aside from The Last Stand and Origins. And even then, I found both of those to be entertaining. The Last Stand's negative qualities are at least lessened thanks to Days of Future Past, which make The Last Stand more of a path to the darkest timeline rather than a shitty end to the trilogy.

Offline Tad

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 02:00:08 pm »
Try not to let it bother you. I don't actually get how people can scrutinise comic book films that much because personally, I find them nothing more then popcorn films anyway. You'll probably watch it once, enjoy it, but that's it. Very few films really sit in the category to watch again and again and even those have issues.

I didn't hate Last stand as such, but I do think it was a mistake. Mainly because they clearly had more to tell, yet they killed off quite a few characters and put themselves into a corner for future stories. Again though, when it was released, I watched it, thought it was okay, then never bothered again just like most comic book films.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:23:05 am by Tad »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 06:33:50 pm »
Here's a brief summary of all the comic book movies I've watched thus far:

- Deadpool: Mindblowing;
- Batman v Superman: I hate to say this out loud but f*** the critics who hated it! Sure it had it's problems but it's living proof that Batman figthing Superman can work in live action;
- Captain America 3 Civil War: It's very good. But Winter Soldier was better;
- X-men Apocalypse: I was kinda dissapointed by it. It had it's fair share of good moments but it felt like Bryan Singer was just exhausted;
- TMNT - Out of the Shadows: Massive and I mean, MASSIVE improvement over it's predecessor. It's still stupid and silly, but it's the good kind of stupid and silly;

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 10:19:31 pm »
And here's a brief summary of some "family" movies I've watched thus far:

- Zootopia : Definitely my Movie of The Year. How could such kiddie movie brought some heavy messages.
- Deadpool: Cool but bothered to see there are so many kids on the theatre. Didn't rating matter anymore to parents?
- Batman v Superman: I'm one of the few who love this movie. I can see why my non comic reader friends hated it, but as a comic reader I love it. Still it feels like Batman Movie featuring Superman than a sequel for MOS.
- X-men Apocalypse: Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse was enjoyable to see, but the fact that he could be defeated easily by Phoebix dissapoint me. Make me wish Jean Grey stay dead so that the battle between X-Men vs Apocalypse will be much longer.
-Finding Dori : Is this a sequel or spinoff? If it's a sequel it's dissapointing, but if it's just a spinoff then it's okay.
- Catch Me If You Can 2 : It's good, but lack the element of surprise which made the prequel's better.
- TMNT - Out of the Shadows: Good popcorn movie. Love how Rocksteady & Bebob are such BFF in this movie. But the battle between TMNT and Krang is not as intense as the prequel's TMNT vs Shredder.
- Captain America 3 Civil War: Enjoyable to watch, and I love this movie more than Batman v Superman, but mostly because of Iron Man and Spider-Man. Without them, I'd say Winter Soldier is better.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 10:37:46 am »
The Ghostbusters remake, which I thankfully didn't spend a dime on to see, was such garbage. Ignore the remake backlash, ignore the inflated "baww they're women" backlash which was largely orchestrated by Sony (shame on Sony for that btw). The movie is just awful. Badly written, badly edited, no sense of a consistent tone. The move shifts from being a horror movie to a slapstick comedy to an "Airplane!"-style spoof to a gross out comedy to a edited-for-tv Paul Feig movie.

The villain has these terrible monologues while sneaking around the city, talking about how he was bullied as a kid. His plan is literally drawn out in a "secret" journal, complete with cartoon drawings of how the third act is meant do go down. For no reason whatsoever he can die and become a powerful ghost.

The editing, as mentioned, is awful. Characters will shift between poses between cuts and full sequences have been terribly removed. Like, there was this dance number that was cut because test audiences hated it, so out of nowhere the military snap into this disco pose. No reason given, they just freeze in place. Music, written for the film, will play over a scene and fade out just as the lyrics start. Remember in the original you got a good chunk of the original music and lyrics playing over montages? Not here. You get a snippet of the theme over the intro while the word GHOSTBUSTERS in a lazy font floats over the city. No effort to animate the intro or show anything of interest. Just stock footage of camera flyovers and lazy font and a too brief play and fade out of the theme.

Paul Feig goes out of his way to thumb his nose at "tha haterz" with a lame YouTube comments joke and making most of the men look like idiots. Kevin is the worst offender. The guy is... how do I put this... he's retarded. Like, he actually does some of the stupidest shit for laughs. It's beyond Homer Simpson levels of stupid. It's supposed to be funny, but it is not. It's just baffling as to why they thought "put a pretty man with brain damage" into the story. McCarthy and Wiig are pretty one dimensional and just not that interesting. Wiig basically plays her usual neurotic character and McCarthy plays her usual loudmouthed character. Both are apparently old friends, but it never plays out that way on screen – both when they are apparently butting heads and when they are friends again in the end. McKinnon's character is awful, chewing scenery left and right and overacting every moment she can. It's like watching a little kid in a movie they made with their friends, where they try and act as batshit insane as possible to make their friends laugh offscreen but it does not translate at all for the audience's enjoyment. Jones is not as awful as I expected, but the loud angry black woman shtick gets pretty bad at times. The original two movies never played up Ernie Hudson's race, but here Jones relies on it way too much for failed laughs.

Jokes fall flat all over the place. In the original movie, jokes stemmed from the plot and moved things forward. In the remake, there are so many non-sequiters like this weird running gag on McCarthy's character wanting more wontons in her soup and a scene where a guy is giving them the finger in various stupid ways.

Also, in-universe rules make no sense. They apparently kill ghosts with their beams instead of capturing them, and there is no containment unit, just a trap. Ghosts can be dragons for some reason, and evil parade floats. Did a dragon and parade float die and become a ghost.

Anyway, I'm glad this movie is a flop. I hated it. Probably the worst movie I have ever seen based on a franchise I love, with only The Amazing Spider-Man 1&2 coming a close second and X-Men: The Last Stand a distant fourth.

1/10

Offline Tad

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 12:17:00 pm »
Finding Dory

Really enjoyed it. The days of Pixar dominating the 3D movie scene are gone as others have built off what they initially created. That doesn't mean they can't and don't make good films though and this is no different.

Not sure what it's like yet, but Movie Bob has highly praised The Shallows as a great film. He's said of all the flops this year, this comes out as a great film.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:24:51 pm by Tad »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 01:36:26 pm »
Finding Dory was fun and had a very sweet message about raising children with disabilities – something you would never expect from an animated movie. I can't see them making a third, and I don't want to see one, but I felt that this was a sequel that while unexpected actually felt like a natural story to come from the original. I mean, Dory was just sort of lost and they never explored why she was where she was further.

I'm really looking forward to Toy Story 4 since they plan to bring back Bo Peep. Going to be crazy to see a Toy Story love story.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 03:38:27 am »

So I came back from the Suicide Squad screening... I expected the worse after the RT onslaught but instead I had two hours of sugary fun. Yes, the critics have pointed out some glaring flaws that I 100% see and I get it. However, Suicide Squad works because the essemble cast works. Will Smith as Deadshot is good ol' Bad Boys Will Smith, Margot Robbie is awesome as Harley Quinn, Jay Courtney who is so bland in everything he stars in, this is his best performance, like ever. Rick Flagg is servicable and the rest of cast does a good job. Especially Viola Davis as Amanda Waller.

Offline Tad

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 10:40:00 am »
How was the Joker?

Offline max_cady

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 11:00:24 am »
It's hard to describe, at first glance, Heath Ledger is still the superior Joker in my mind. But Leto's take on the Joker is certainly different. He's not the nihilistic psycho Joker that we saw in The Dark Knight, he's more big crime boss that has a few quirks. Truth is there not enough Joker in this movie to make give a clear answer.

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 06:15:41 pm »
Saw Lights Out opening weekend. Not bad. Has a good cast and some effective scares, but I feel like it hits you over the head too much with its message about loneliness and staying together.

Personally, I think the last 10 years have delivered some great horror films: 1408, Sinister, The Conjuring, It Follows. Glad we're past that phase of receiving watered down american remakes like Shutter and The Grudge.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 07:07:05 pm »
Saw Lights Out opening weekend. Not bad. Has a good cast and some effective scares, but I feel like it hits you over the head too much with its message about loneliness and staying together.

Personally, I think the last 10 years have delivered some great horror films: 1408, Sinister, The Conjuring, It Follows. Glad we're past that phase of receiving watered down american remakes like Shutter and The Grudge.

Do you plan to watch "Don't Breathe"?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2016, 05:27:00 am »
I watched Suicide Squad. I walked in there thinking it was going to have terrible pacing issues and such and it really didn't. Sure some of the 'back story' cuts were a bit weird but it was a overall enjoyable movie. I was very impressed that I liked most of the characters I thought I would hate. For example Deadshot by Will Smith and Diablo by whoever played him. They did a fantastic job. Yes, some of the jokes they had fell flat and some lines where cringe worthy but overall it was a good movie. Not great, but it doesn't deserve the score it got via RT.

As for Joker, I agree there isn't ENOUGH sample size. There are parts where Leto did pretty good as the Joker and others where he didn't deliver the lines that well. This Joker is more like the comic book compared to Heath Ledger which is nothing like the comic Joker. I just think Leto needs a good writer and he could deliver 'The Clown Prince of Crime' everyone has been waiting for. I still don't like the tattoos. He didn't have enough lines to really judge him and didn't have big monologues. He didn't talk much. In the comics, he has a way that he is written that still hasn't been shown sadly due to how little Leto's time on screen was.