Author Topic: Let's talk about Final Fantasy 7.(overrated?)  (Read 13133 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Let's talk about Final Fantasy 7.(overrated?)
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:51:46 pm »
So 2 major events happened relating to FF7 this year, and both times they have induced some strong reactions from people in general, but mostly from fans.

It seems to have a major impact on people. Hence one is meant to believe that it must be a really good game. But is it really though? Or is it just nostalgia from kids younger years?

The game has aged terribly when it comes to visuals. I mean just look at this

And yet even that makes me still love the game deeply. I dont know what it is. But I do feel like this is a really good game personally. A very special game. To me it isnt just a special part of my youth, but the overal setting and the main character (cloud) is just really cool. Lets not forget about the adventure aspect. There are few games that make you go through such unique and well orchestrated scenes like ff7 does. I wish I could recommend it to people. But then you hear how it hasnt aged well etc and I get confused lol. I guess maybe you just had to be there at the time? Or maybe not?

What are your experiences with the game? Did the ancouncements of FF7 remake or cloud in smash induce the same reactions from you?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:08:05 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: Let's talk about Final Fantasy 7.(overrated?)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 03:11:45 pm »
I own the original Playstation version (and a non-greatest hits version at that), but I've only ever played like an hour and a half of it. I'm not a fan of JRPG's unless they're Mother or Undertale, and FF7 didn't really tickle my fancy. I love the art design and style, but the actual gameplay put me to sleep and the dialogue was the not-fun kind of bad. Maybe it picks up a few hours in, but I just couldn't get invested.

I've spoken to some pretty big Final Fantasy friends and they're pretty bummed about Cloud being in Smash only because they say he's overused and they could've picked a more interesting protagonist (I've heard Cecil and Terra thrown around as suggestions). My main problem is Cloud has nothing to do with Nintendo. At least Snake had a slight presence on their consoles, but FF7 is entirely an iconic Playstation game. If they were going to have FF representation, at least pick one of the (several) games that DID appear on Nintendo platforms...unless the only reason Cloud is in is to promote the FF7 remake, which makes absolutely no sense because I can guarantee you that's not going to be on Wii U.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 04:42:39 pm »
FFVII is a fantastic game and i feel most people "choose" to dislike it now because it's the cool thing to do, or they just weren't old enough to recognize the significance of the game in 97'.

Aside from the pretty complex and interesting story, the OST to this game was absolutely fantastic. The gameplay is traditional, so i have no issue with it and always appreciated the Materia System.

I'm a HUGE FF fan, i've beaten all of the originals with the exception of VIII and the more recent 12, just couldn't get into those. I'm pretty psyched to see Cloud in Sm4sh.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 04:50:13 pm »
For me, yes. That's not to say it's bad, but I do think it's gained this reputation from adults who were kids at the right age when FF7 was released.

I think the universe it's set in has a very different and unique feel to it, some of the characters are great, but the main story is very hit and miss. Some parts are great and are iconic, but others just felt convoluted and made for the sake of content.

The battle system was okay for the most part, but I hated how you were limited by slots at times. My main issue is the difficulty in the later parts of the game. I get that it's later on and I expect the difficulty to spike, but in this, it felt too much and too frequent with the bosses.

Think FF8 and 10 were the big ones for me.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:51:57 pm by Tad »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 05:54:08 am »
One of the most overrated games of all time . Didn't really think it looks as good as some loved to make out and the story for me was rubbish.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:48:54 pm »
By no means bad, but very overrated.

Not as much as OoT though.
SEG4GES

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 07:23:36 am »
By no means bad, but very overrated.

Not as much as OoT though.
great post and I agree and both counts.  Most of the Zelda games are vastly overrated but not a badly made game.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 05:32:30 am »
I'd say I find that about all Nintendo games really. They're fun and well made, but few actually do much more each iteration. Again, I think nostalgia plays a huge part in this.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 03:45:49 am »
I'd say I find that about all Nintendo games really

Quite a lot for me too. That said Mario IV, Pilotwings, F-Zero, Mario Galaxy 1 and II, Super Metroid are gaming perfection really
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 06:08:26 am »

Quite a lot for me too. That said Mario IV, Pilotwings, F-Zero, Mario Galaxy 1 and II, Super Metroid are gaming perfection really
No.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 06:46:47 am »
My best friend in high school, who was a huge SEGA fan, was also a big original Playstation fan. He turned me on to Tenchu and Wipeout, but he dropped the ball on FF7. He really tried to get me into it, but I guess my problem was while the music and graphics were great, and the story was interesting, I wasn't all that invested in the characters and I found the gameplay to be not all that exciting. I guess its because I'm more of an action RPG guy. I loved stuff like PSO and Kingdom Hearts at the time, and Skies of Arcadia (while turn based) had a certain speed and rhythm to its combat. But FF7 just didn't do it for me. I do own the game, and have played around 6 hours of it, but I never could get back into it and complete it.

Oddly, that same friend convinced me to buy FFX and the same thing happened. The graphics were nice and I got into the story, but the gameplay bored me. Guess I'm not a turn based type of guy. Unless they throw something in their that mixes things up.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 10:56:06 am »
My best friend in high school, He turned me on
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 02:32:10 pm »
I'll tell you the full story in the private forum ;)

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 10:31:03 pm »
It was mostly poopularized because of the soundtrack. It had an amazing soundtrack. I admit, the graphics were bad, the gameplay was ok. I liked the storyline though. That's why I remember it as being a classic. It still wouldn't really be able to compete with its predecessor. It definitely wouldn't be able to compete with The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, which is by far the best video game in history.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 11:10:26 pm »
It definitely wouldn't be able to compete with The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, which is by far the best video game in history.
There it is again. It's as if something repeated many times over turns true
SEG4GES