Author Topic: SOPA is back, this time at a global level  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
SOPA is back, this time at a global level
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:32 pm »
http://youranonnews.tumblr.com/post/16257654698/acta-in-a-nutshell-what-is-acta-acta-is-the

now you Europeans can't laugh at us =P lol, but yeah. this is really bad, we can't let it pass

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: SOPA is back, this time at a global level
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:52:56 am »
http://youranonnews.tumblr.com/post/16257654698/acta-in-a-nutshell-what-is-acta-acta-is-the

now you Europeans can't laugh at us =P lol, but yeah. this is really bad, we can't let it pass

Britain (And France) already has a SOPA like law, a law that has been frozen amidst judicial reviews and contradicting our own laws. In which case, I very much doubt the UK coalition would sign such a law, Conservative backbenchers would think we are trying to please Europe and the Liberals would oppose it altogether. I do not see it getting much support from the Labour party itself (Although there are certain demographs within the party that would support it)

So I still can laugh! Ha!

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:25:35 am »
Aki get into politics and get everyone off our backs about offshore tax havens... I like my tax haven in Jersey and all I ever read about on the Jersey Evening Post is Europe/UK putting pressure to change it!
NO!
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 08:08:19 pm »
What the hell is happening guys? I heard ACTA has been passed allready in the US and in some countries....

Honestly this stuff is starting to worry me more and more. I mean I was against SOPA but that was US only. ACTA is global

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:37:30 pm »
I can't wait till they shut down the site because we don't own the copyrights to Sonic and other SEGA franchises. OK, most likely it isn't going to happen.

I get the idea and why these laws are being proposed. I'm a rational person, I love to understand both sides to the debate, but in the end... fuck SOPA and PIPA.

1st: It isn't the job of the government to help companies make billions. The entertainment industry is so against the internet because its a new business model that they are too old and stupid to embrace. They'll say, "If we offer a pay to watch stream, they will just rip the video and pirate it." No. They won't. Netflix is prove of that. If you have a reasonable package and price, everyone is willing to pay.

Not only that, people that actively pirate music are more likely to purchase music. So in the end of the day the only people getting shafted are consumers.

The entertainment industry thinks that if I pirate an album it is a sell that they didn't make. Not true. Sometimes I don't know an artist, I'll torrent the album to listen to it. Actually, I used to download them, now I just Youtube or Grooveshark it.

That too. Grooveshark (who I assume will be one of the first sites down if this new ACTA bill passes.) has also been having issues and has done stupid shit (just like Megaupload). I'm surprised that no one has tried to take down youtube yet. Literally any song you want to listen to is somewhere in there. You know it, I know it.

IN THE END, FUCK SOPA, PIPA & ACTA. I do no support taking rights of Americans or other countries. You shouldn't either.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:43:22 pm by George »