Author Topic: Brock Crocodile - Has now been Greenlit (See latest post)  (Read 63398 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Brock Crocodile - Aki makes a platformer because we need more crocodiles.
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 03:21:43 pm »
Sorry for the late replies chaps but better late than never!

Trust me, experience has taught me thus so far xD.
SO many assignments that took longer than they should have because I was coding first thinking later x.x

Haha tell me about it, but now I feel that if I ever do a sequel or another game, it'll probably take me half the time it did to get this one, the learning experience is invaluable.

This is so frigging sweet. Very inspiring!

I've invested lots of time learning programming and such in Unity, after knowing most of the art pipeline, so I dig that other people are tipping their hat towards game design.

Truth be told I've always wanted to design games since a kid and I've been using this program in and out of my teenage years but I finally decided to just do it. A bit of a nostelgia trip for old school SEGA fans too I hope.

-

Right not much to say but I was wondering where to take the project from here in terms of raising awareness. Should I be posting up screens of WIP stages? GIFs of some of the sprite work in the game or maybe videos showing off the systems and level design? As for progress I'm just about to finish off the 8th stage and working on designing the 4th boss, almost to the half way point!

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 03:38:34 pm »
Yes to all of the above.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 06:16:14 am »
Yes to all of the above.

Yeah I thought that might have been a response.

My only worry is if I reveal too much of the game, I'd love people to come into it without knowing what they've gotten themselves into but I suppose I'd have to sacrifice that in order to ensure the game gets the sort of exposure that's needed.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 08:21:50 am »
Perhaps just show a single screen from later stages and only show off the first half of the game?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 09:27:49 am »
Throw up some spoiler warnings for those who want to go in 'blind' but others can spoil the twist that Brock is really an Alligator.

Offline Operationgamer17

• Total Meseta: 0
    • https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCl8h0HL50XoxBP5xnZ8uI4A
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 10:09:52 am »
I had no idea that anyone here is making a game.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 12:29:57 pm »
Perhaps just show a single screen from later stages and only show off the first half of the game?

That's a good idea actually, showing off the first 5 levels in playthroughs should be enough and then just WIP screenshots of the later stages + 1 actual screenie.

Throw up some spoiler warnings for those who want to go in 'blind' but others can spoil the twist that Brock is really an Alligator.

Actually the twist is Brock is a dragon and not a crocodile. So obvious you should have seen it coming, he's red after all!

I had no idea that anyone here is making a game.

I think I'm the first to show off a game but we've got a bunch of creative people here. I've been working on it for a while so I hope you like what you've seen so far!

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 06:52:31 am »

Just an idle animation of a baddie from the fourth level, City Lockdown, Russell the Ape. He's life goals are throwing wooden barrels at you and generally making life difficult for you.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 01:19:39 pm »
That looks great, Aki!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this title. How much is the game challenge from baddies vs platforming pitfalls in your opinion?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »
Just an image for Screenshot Saturday, Brock having a delightful conversation with the boss of Museum Mayhem.

https://twitter.com/BrockCrocodile/status/554059157197041664

That looks great, Aki!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this title. How much is the game challenge from baddies vs platforming pitfalls in your opinion?

Good question and I'd like to say its a mix of the two but depending on the stage, one might be more common than the other. The fourth level City Lockdown so far has the most baddies in the game but the following single stage level Breakout Prison is just traps and puzzles, also at times it'll also depend on which route you take.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2015, 01:56:55 pm »
Got another developer's blog up on the site

Developer's Blog #2: Updates and Progress

First before we start this developer blog, Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyone had a warm and fuzzy festive period with friends and family. I thought I might try my hand at giving a bi-monthly report from now on. It lets you guys know the the project is alive and kicking whilst also letting everyone interested know how everything is coming along. So without further ado, let's get the second developer's blog running!

Some concept art for the fourth stage, City Lockdown. Also introducing Stick bean Brock!

A quick recap on what occurred during December that ended up being far busier than I anticipated but I still had more than enough time to contribute to my project. Working with my level artist Matthew I quickly drew up the concepts for the fourth level and he helped produced the majority of the art. I also completed the set up for both stages for City Lockdown and now leaves me with working on the fourth boss, Lankeyarms (Name just a placeholder.)

One of the baddie's from City Lockdown, Russell the Ape

So far this January I've started planning out the level design for Breakout Prison and working on the concept art. In order to keep things fresh I've decided to exclude any sort of baddies from the stage safe for a few secret ones used to help boost a player's score. In terms of the speed I'd describe each stage as the following; Gazadiaz Ruins (Fast) Beehive Battleship (Fast) Museum Mayhem (Slow) City Lockdwon (Moderate) Breakout Prison (Slow) I'm really hoping that this mixing up would help differentiate the levels apart from another, of course it's a dangerous method too, I don't want the gameplay to slow down excessively that it'd bore players.

Concept art for Breakout Prison

Although it does share a gimmick from Museum Mayhem (Laser beams to turn on and off.) the stage is also equipped with flamethrowers that are activated when the player is spotted by a search light, retractable spikes, floors, doors and also a mini-puzzle where you'll have to insert coded boxes into the floor to open a door. It definitely is aiming to be a bit more time consuming than the prior two stages (That should be completed within 3 to 4 minutes in total.) since it's the only level in the game that has a single stage baring the final level. And again barring the final stage, this one has the lowest number of alternate routes. Coming off of City Lockdown that had upwards of 16 different paths, I'm gunning for a more linear straight forward level with maybe 2 or 3 different routes the player can take.

Work in progress sprite for Lankeyarms.

Now back to Lankeyarms, just like with the stages I'm hoping to keep the bosses fresh. An elderly primate dressed in a fashionable sharp white suit, he jumps around from the stage using his steam powered gauntlets that jettisons him into the air and tries to land a spinning roll on Brock. Failing that he always has a few handy banana grenade's to throw at our scaly protagonist. Lankeyarms leads a group of monkeys and apes to assault Serena City and capture it's mayor after botched attempts at stealing the artifact Brock recovers in the first stage. A thing to note about him is that he is so far, the shortest boss Brock encounters in the game and the second shortest overall (Brock's rival, Egaunodon, is the shortest being as tall as Brock) so trying to take him out with anything but your whip could be difficult.

That wraps up this developer blog, I hope you enjoyed reading it and one of my goals for this coming year is to start churning these out on a more regular basis. Until then folks!

http://brockcrocodile.com/2015/01/12/developer-blog-2-updates-and-progress/

https://twitter.com/BrockCrocodile/status/554728640702058496
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:27:05 pm by Aki-at »

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2015, 10:43:20 pm »
Absolutely lovely round of Updates Aki.

This deal is getting better all the time =P

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2015, 04:50:02 pm »
Absolutely lovely round of Updates Aki.

This deal is getting better all the time =P

Glad you're liking them, from time to time I'm worried if people are reading up on them haha.

https://twitter.com/BrockCrocodile/status/556551274414751745

New screenshot of the fourth stage, just a tease for now but I'll be showing it off in a week. Also put up a Facebook page for the project!
https://www.facebook.com/BrockCrocodile

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2015, 01:55:03 pm »
Love it. Looking really good :)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 08:44:42 am »
This is too cool.
Seriously hope there's a pescadores reference there somewhere...

PESCADORES PESCADORES PESCADORES PESCADORES PESCADORES PESCADORES
SEG4GES