Author Topic: Learn how SEGA is socially responsible in their report  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Learn how SEGA is socially responsible in their report
« on: December 20, 2014, 05:38:23 pm »
From the newest CSR report of Sega Sammy website. It's the initiative of the hodling for social responsibillity. I took the Sega sections:

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
Re: Learn how SEGA is socially responsible in their report
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:29 am »
Nintendo has a similar report on one of their websites.

However, this is a nice find and it's a shame that fellow SEGA members haven't commented on this yet since it's one of the few articles that tells us what SEGA does both gaming and non-gaming related behind their overall business.

The whole employment incentive ideas is a nice insight on how SEGA employs students and doesn't always go for experience.

The only downside I guess is the whole "Global" approach, as it's not something they tend to be very strong at.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:28:32 am »
The only downside I guess is the whole "Global" approach, as it's not something they tend to be very strong at.

Well I'm surprised Sega Sammy even has an english versions of their reports.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 01:02:21 pm »
I'll take a look at this. Thanks for passing it on.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 03:22:50 pm »
a lot of companies do this. whether they are being genuine about it or not we will never know. I personally get a feeling a lot of them do it just for their image and don't really care.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 07:25:38 pm »
Well, having worked for companies that do these sorts of things, I can at least speak for them in saying it can be genuine. I mean, put yourself in the position of power with a company. If you have the resources and money and willing employees, of course you would want to give back. Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I'd like to think that SEGA does this genuinely. I can't imagine them teaming with schoolchildren to educate them and only thinking about how it makes SEGA look good. I think their commitment to doing such a thing says a lot.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 08:36:40 pm »
I'm sure the employees doing such are genuine, I'm talking about the big heads, the ones who are rolling in money. I really doubt the majority of them care. Comcast for example brags about their Social Responsibility and how they help local communities, yet they are hell bent on destroying the internet for those very people they claim to be helping. Most of it is all PR in my eyes.

It's a nice gesture for sure, and it's great corporations are helping out. but when you think about it.. a few millions (or more depending on the size of the company) of dollars is hardly any money at all for the average corporation. It's a small price to pay to try and make their company appear human. I'm sure there is some some corporate heads who genuinely believe in wanting to help people, but I really don't think the majority care. You know how the majority of people get when they get rich, they get power hungry.

As for if SEGA Sammy is genuine about it. There isn't enough evidence to say either way. I do hope they are though, being a fan of SEGA, would be nice being a fan of a company who genuinely wants the best for the people that buy it's products.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:01:59 pm by Happy Cat »

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 09:30:57 pm »
Japan tends to put the betterment of society over the betterment of the individual much of the time, so I wouldn't say it is too far fetched.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 12:34:57 pm »
Plus isn't the concept of employment that lasts more or less for life fairly prevalent in Japan also? Reading all about Sega Japan's planned investments into their employees (education and that supervisor program thing) this has to be much different compared to the West. Also making moves for time off for childcare and nursing is pretty good as IIRC bad worklife balance (even it means "ostensibly" working longhours but actually goofing off most of the time) and inability to devote time to child-rearing is a factor suffocating the birth rate in Japan

In any case lots of initiatives going on and the community involvement/cabinet manufacturing and recycling parts seem pretty cool.

At the same time of course, this is one of those things where they tell what they're doing and not what they're actually doing. i.e., how do the programs work, are they successful. Of course this won't happen at least partially for strategy reasons (don't want competitors imitating them) but I wouldn'ttake everything here at face value
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!