Author Topic: Last thing you spent money on  (Read 414056 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Last thing you spent money on
« Reply #1125 on: August 20, 2012, 04:00:23 pm »
Yeah. Really, it should have been $15 and a 3DS eStore exclusive.

Like, I walked into Gamestop, looked at the shelf and it was NSMB2 and SM3DLand side by side, both for $40. The equivalent of that would be SEGA selling Sonic 4 Episode 2 on a 3DS cartridge for $40, alongside Sonic Generations 3DS.

Nintendo is lucky that fans will buy any Mario game, regardless of how much is reused assets or the fact that it really looks like a slightly improved DS game visually.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #1126 on: August 20, 2012, 04:58:51 pm »
Panzer Dragoon Saga money wise (a pretty beat up box but hey, it's the games that matter, right?) for about £90 but the Saturn I bought a few months back refuses to run any Saturn disk.  :'(
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #1127 on: August 20, 2012, 05:43:45 pm »
You could pop the game into a PC and play it using an emulator.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #1128 on: August 21, 2012, 09:27:37 am »
You could pop the game into a PC and play it using an emulator.

I could, but our Home PC's motherboard is fried. :(

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1129 on: August 21, 2012, 10:24:36 am »
Bummer :(.

I guess another used Saturn would probably be cheaper than a new computer.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #1130 on: August 21, 2012, 11:54:42 am »
Bummer :(.

I guess another used Saturn would probably be cheaper than a new computer.

It's the best option so far.

I'll probably buy another nearer my birthday as I'm not planning on playing on the game just yet.

We had a look inside the Saturn to see what's wrong but I think it's just that the laser isn't very strong to read the games fully as it looks very old now (the guy I bought it from didn't look like he took care of it despite the box being with it).

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #1131 on: August 21, 2012, 05:04:04 pm »
Got Sonic Adventure on the PSN for $5. I haven't played it for a few years so I'm looking forward to playing it once again!
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #1132 on: August 21, 2012, 06:15:37 pm »
ordered GTA IV... LOL

never played thoroughly through a GTA game before, only played bits and pieces at friends house, 25 dollars on amazon and comes with all the extra DLC on disc, i figured it was finally time to give this game a go. Intro i watched on youtube was entertaining.

feels wrong lol, I'm not a huge supporter of games like GTA.. but.. it will be something different.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #1133 on: August 21, 2012, 06:22:50 pm »
ordered GTA IV... LOL

never played thoroughly through a GTA game before, only played bits and pieces at friends house, 25 dollars on amazon and comes with all the extra DLC on disc, i figured it was finally time to give this game a go. Intro i watched on youtube was entertaining.

feels wrong lol, I'm not a huge supporter of games like GTA.. but.. it will be something different.

The only GTA game I've played all the way through to the end was Vice City. The thing is whenever I do play those games I always get this guilty conscience, and I feel like such a thug.  :P Anyway, hope you enjoy it Will!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:25:08 pm by CosmicCastaway »
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #1134 on: August 21, 2012, 06:49:17 pm »
The only GTA game I've played all the way through to the end was Vice City. The thing is whenever I do play those games I always get this guilty conscience, and I feel like such a thug.  :P Anyway, hope you enjoy it Will!

hahah well.. yeah.. xD

I heard from a friend that GTA IV has an actual story with connections to the characters and isnt just thug life, like the older GTA's, but i shall see. lol

i was also looking at red dead redemption, but decided on GTA IV since it came out before read ded.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1135 on: August 25, 2012, 05:25:56 pm »
A nice Blu-Ray player as a wedding gift for a great buddy of mine.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #1136 on: August 26, 2012, 07:49:05 am »
Game wise, Batman Returns for the SEGA CD, Last Battle and Steel Talons for Genesis. Otherwise, cigarettes. Only way I can endure the last two titles mentioned. AVGN has Rolling Rock, I have American Spirit.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1137 on: August 26, 2012, 08:51:18 am »

I was dead set on not getting this new, nor did I want to get it at Gamestop's bullshit $5 less used price. Thankfully, I found it at a used shop for $30.

Really great game, probably my favorite Mario game since Super Mario Land 2.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #1138 on: August 26, 2012, 09:23:43 am »

I was dead set on not getting this new, nor did I want to get it at Gamestop's bullshit $5 less used price. Thankfully, I found it at a used shop for $30.

Really great game, probably my favorite Mario game since Super Mario Land 2.

I very recently made it to the secret worlds and I'm liking it a bit better then I thought I might despite this game getting similar complaints as most other Mario games in terms of originality or something.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1139 on: August 26, 2012, 09:39:05 am »
I think the problem with Mario is that, unlike Sonic, Mushroom Kingdom is very very iconic. You can't mix up the enemies and environments too much, or it loses that Mario charm. This leads to a lot of the titles to being very samey and lacking of originality. At least in terms of visuals. They do mix it up gameplay-wise, but again if they do it too much it becomes something other than Mario. Like, Super Mario Sunshine is a fun game, but that water mechanic just ain't Mario. Thankfully, unlike Sonic who mixes it up TOO much (at least from 2004-2008), Mario has rarely diverted from the basic gameplay mechanics. Galaxy 1&2 are great games, but again, I think they divert too much from the formula. I got tired of running about on spheres and navigating the hub world. Also, I didn't like waving the Wiimote at the screen to collect items. I really just wanted a flat surface and a standard controller.

Which is why I like 3D Land so much. Its the best marriage of 2D and 3D Mario I've ever seen. I think being on a handheld title helps, because they try not to go too big with the environments and keep things restrained to a linear path.

I will say that I really appreciate how Sonic Team handles callback to the Genesis originals. I mean, look at Mario. A callback to the NES days happens all the time. Mario fans LOVE their nostalgia and Nintendo loves giving them what they want. But I think this over saturates things and makes it less special to see a reference to the 80's games.

Sonic, Meanwhile, has just started this trend but is quite reserved about it. Sonic 4 and Generations were the only titles to really go all out in the homages. But Colors, I think, did it perfectly. It was awesome encountering an old badnik in a new setting. Like the massive Motobug in Starlight Carnival. That was great! I hope SEGA keeps these homages and callbacks coming, but not at the Mario scale so they continue to be special.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:44:30 am by Barry the Nomad »