Author Topic: Comics and Graphic Novel General Discussion!  (Read 80876 times)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Comics and Graphic Novel General Discussion!
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2011, 02:59:20 am »
@Chaosmaster8753:
How was the JLA book?

I'd say it's more of a Titans story, but it's not a bad read if you're a fan of them.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:15 pm »
I donk I've ever read a Titans story. JLA was one of the first comics I ever read though. Back during the Morrison/Porter/Dell run.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2011, 04:08:38 pm »

Body Bags vol1.: Father's Day - Image Comics

Lookin' foward to this one. I ordered it online yesterday, but I doubt it will make it here before X-mas.

When I saw a couple of preview pages I thought it was actually a modern GN, but this is a 1996 comic book mini-series. The premise sounds a lot like Kick-Ass.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2011, 06:56:43 am »
Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns showed up in the mail, so I can finally continue on reading through the rest of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run :D.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2012, 11:45:46 am »
I've finished reading through Blackest Night. I'm a bit curious as to what the deal is with some of the Brightest Day stuff. The original plan was just to stick with the main Green Lantern stuff, so I don't really know that Brightest Day or Emerald Warriors are going to be that nessecary to enjoy the whole story or not.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2012, 05:41:57 am »
Finally, damn it!

I got my Image Comic's Body Bags graphic novel yesterday and read it in one sitting.

I wrongly assumed that this was a Kick Ass type of story. While it does feature the same over-the-top violence and gore, as well as some level of self-parody, the plot is completely different.

It's a story of a runaway teen(the most well endowned 15-year old teenage girl in the world)  that wants to get along with his father, who is working as a bodybagger, which seems to a cross between a hitman for hire and a vigilante.

The comic book's world takes place in a mix between the present and a semi-futuristic world, where bionic limbs are commonplace.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2012, 09:29:37 am »
Sounds pretty interesting.

I finished up Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern, and I'm going back to the beginning of Grant Morrison's Batman run. I've got the whole thing (minus two issues of Batman Inc.). With these two runs being pretty much the only things that didn't get changed up with the New 52 relaunch, I figure I might as well get up to date now.
I'm also hoping Final Crisis makes a bit more sense now that I have a few of the supplemental issues.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2012, 11:53:44 am »
I recently finished reading Flashpoint, and one thing I gotta say is [spoiler]Reverse-Flash's brief appearance is kinda funny seeing how not only does he give a somewhat hard to understand explanation about the whole thing and him now being a living paradox (then again, time paradoxes never make sense,) then he gets killed really quickly by Thomas Wayne Batman.[/spoiler]

Offline SOUP

« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2012, 12:18:38 pm »
@Chaosmaster8753:
Is Flashpoint worth reading at all, or is it more of a means to the end of rebooting the DCU than anything esle?

Offline max_cady

« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2012, 06:49:35 pm »
Based off the reviews I've read and so forth, the second option you listed is the closest one.

But the result just ends up with [spoiler] The Flash fixes everything as well as change time and space by simply running![/spoiler]

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2012, 08:10:33 pm »
@Chaosmaster8753:
Is Flashpoint worth reading at all, or is it more of a means to the end of rebooting the DCU than anything esle?

Well, [spoiler]I wouldn't say it's the best kind of story to use to end the original DCU, and it's pretty short and doesn't really have much tension at the final battle, but I kinda like some elements of it mostly because I can be an occasional sucker for alternate reality type stories. I guess since it mostly focuses on Barry and not the rest of the DCU, that might one major reason why it's not the best way to end the original DCU. Admittedly, I'm still a bit of a noob at comics despite reading quite a few stories these past few months, so I wouldn't say I'm the best person to talk to about comic opinions.[/spoiler]

Offline SOUP

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2012, 02:47:30 pm »
Thanks for the impressions either way. I probably won't get around to reading it any time soon with all the New DCU stuff going on. Just nice to know that I'm not missing out on anything super groundbreaking.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2012, 08:51:31 pm »

I downloaded all 52 #1 issues of the DC reboot. I read a few so far and probably the biggest surprise was Batgirl and Batwing. Batwing #1 is a fantastic issue, really surprised. Can't wait to see what happens next and get more information on Earth Strike.

Also why like 4 comics for Green Lantern shit and only one flash? Come on.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:02:09 pm by George »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2012, 09:40:49 pm »
Aquaman #1's the only New 52 issue I bought. What are some more good ones?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2012, 01:32:52 am »
I've been reading through Garth Ennis' 'Hitman' series.

Really digging it so far. It's basically a contract killer in Gotham City gains powers of telepathy and X-Ray vision and then...continues being a hitman. Only now he charges extra and will take on Super-Human contracts. It's got all the hall-marks of Garth Ennis with some great characters, lots of action and great sense of humour. I've bought all the Trades so far, but they only have 5 trades and apparantly theres a number of issues that were never collated. I might have to download those or track down individual issues (which I imagine would be really expensive and difficult).

I don't think it's Ennis' best stuff (Preacher is still number 1 for me, followed by his Punisher stuff), but it's very good. Much better than The Boys at least, which I really didn't enjoy very much.