Author Topic: Recommended Genesis games  (Read 10793 times)

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
Re: Recommended Genesis games
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 02:51:32 am »
There is no Master System games on Steam right now so no package contains Master System games (including original Phantasy Star).

Well that's just sad.  :/ Then again I suppose there isn't much of a demand for them compared to Genesis.  Ah well, Sega Forever should fix that. 
Be like water.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 03:30:23 am »
Phantasy Star I also appears as an unlockable game in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
SEG4GES

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 05:56:38 am »
Phantasy Star I also appears as an unlockable game in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

-.- i have no player 2 or second controller.  even on my own, that shit be expensive.
Be like water.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 07:44:26 am »
-.- i have no player 2 or second controller.  even on my own, that shit be expensive.
What? Why would you need 2 controllers
SEG4GES

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 09:43:55 am »
What? Why would you need 2 controllers

To unlock Phantasy Star 1, you need to clear the first zone and boss in Sonic 2 with 2 players, and it won't let me access 2 players without a 2nd controller. 
Be like water.

Offline OriginalName

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 08:57:08 pm »
Hm... you might want to hold off for a bit and see what happens with Sega Forever before you make any purchases, but I'll throw in my input from a current perspective.

The Genesis went through two distinct phases: pre-Sonic and post-Sonic. The earlier phase was typically more gritty/realistic as though they were trying to emulate 80's film/broadcast quality, and most of the games were from the arcade or played like they were (Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Gain Ground, Golden Axe, ESWAT, Alien Storm, Altered Beast...).

A lot of Sega fans are nostalgic for this era, myself included, and you'll find that this pre-Super Nintendo era is what people generally associate with the Genesis. However, I think that the very best of the console came after Sonic changed its image. Things got a lot more imaginative and off-the-wall, and the programmers' mastery of the hardware brought out some really great ideas and effects.

Looking at the list on Steam, my Top 10 list would go as follows...

Sonic the Hedgehog (main series; original, CD, 2, 3, & Knuckles)
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Gunstar Heroes
Ristar
Streets of Rage 2
Phantasy Star IV
Shining Force II
Alien Soldier
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Ecco: The Tides of Time

The Wonder Boy/Monster World games are also incredible, but Steam doesn't have Monster World IV, which is widely agreed to be the best one, so I'd recommend grabbing it on the "Wonder Boy Vintage Collection" on PSN/XBLA.

Overall, I think that "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" for PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 is the best place to start outside of a regular PC emulator, and the unfortunately excluded essentials (Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Monster World IV) can be picked up for a couple of dollars elsewhere.

Now that Sega's bought the Technosoft catalog, be on the look out for Thunder Force IV, too!

Have fun!

P.S. Most people consider Phantasy Star IV the best of the series, and it can easily be played as a standalone game. Some fan service will fly over your head, but it's nothing that'll detract from your ability to play, understand, and enjoy the experience.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:02:10 pm by OriginalName »

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 06:57:05 pm »
I recommend Earthworm Jim as it's far superior to the Nintendo version.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 08:22:32 pm »
I recommend Earthworm Jim as it's far superior to the Nintendo version.

I believe what Artwark asked is Genesis games on Steam
which unfortunately Steam version of Earthworm Jim is from PC DOS version, not Genesis version.

Offline NiGHTSDrEAMS

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 10:57:19 pm »
Here is a quick list of games that I have that I think you might like:

- Vectorman 1&2
- Wardner
- Mickey Mania
- Toejam & Eral 1&2
- Plusman
- The James Pond Serious
- Socket
- WeaponLord
- Bonanza Brothers
- Technocop
- Generations Lost
- Beyond Oasis
- Mystic Defender
- Light Crusader

That's just a few from my small collection, I hope you enjoy and have fun with the games I have recommended!!

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 07:14:17 pm »
Sailor Moon for Mega Drive is actually a decent beat em up.  If you can't get the original cart, emulate the rom.  It's worth it.  Each Sailor Scout has their own moves and you can pick any of them.  My favorite bit is kicking enemies off the elevator through broken glass from a 20 story building.  :p
Be like water.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 09:41:48 am »
A few suggestions from me:

Ghostbusters - Developed by Compile and a really solid platformer. Probably the best Ghostbusters game of the era.

Dick Tracy - Developed by Shinobi developers, this is a really fun game. You shoot and punch and use a machine gun on background enemies. You're constantly switching between killing enemies on the foreground and background. The horse bit from Shinobi is a a police car chase and the mini-game is a shooting range.