Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 703551 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2370 on: February 24, 2015, 03:58:41 pm »
Man, that first part of the battle for Chapter 18 in Valkyria Chronicles... As difficult as that Naggiar Plains battle sequence, if not moar difficult!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2371 on: February 24, 2015, 07:41:26 pm »
VC is the best franchise out of SEGA since Yakuza. TRUE STORY. Name me one more in-house Japanese franchise that had that much SEGA love?

DATS WHAT I THOUGHT, BRRRRRRRRRUDER.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2372 on: February 25, 2015, 10:02:30 am »
VC is the best franchise out of SEGA since Yakuza. TRUE STORY. Name me one more in-house Japanese franchise that had that much SEGA love?

DATS WHAT I THOUGHT, BRRRRRRRRRUDER.

Rent-a-Hero.

Check-mate, atheists.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2373 on: February 25, 2015, 05:20:36 pm »
Stupid Lancers!

I finally figured out how to take out the Marmota, but because of those perpetually spawning enemies, one major mistake and one of those enemy Lancers seem to hit Welkin's Tank in the backside with pinpoint accuracy. Moar level grinding fo' me.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2374 on: February 26, 2015, 08:26:19 am »
I don't remember having to grind away in VC at all. What are these missions you're talking about? I feel like I've forgotten about those. I should play this game again.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2375 on: February 26, 2015, 04:48:03 pm »
I'm referring to the first of two missions of Chapter 18: Shadow of the Valkyrur.

It just so happens that I've been able to finish that mission. It was kinda hard because of them perpetually spawning enemies and those five turrets (the two in the front of the Marmota are harmless). I saw a Youtube video that showed me how to get it done. Basically have one soldier stationed behind each of those tank, send the Lancers up top once the anti-gun turrets are destroyed, destroy the two radiators and fire away at the Giant Lance. Did it in 9 turns and got a C-rank over it. :(

Offline George

« Reply #2376 on: February 26, 2015, 07:24:55 pm »
Rent-a-Hero.

Check-mate, atheists.
?

That game came out in 1991. Yakuza 2005, Valkyria Chronicles came out in 2008. (I said NEW franchise)

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #2377 on: February 27, 2015, 07:59:59 am »
Started playing through the new Oddworld remake, New n Tasty. Been extremely excited about this game ever since it got announced and I'm so glad it's finally on PC. It's a lot harder than I expected it to be.

Also started yet another Skyrim playthrough, trying to take this one really slow and limiting how much modding I do to it. All my previous playthroughs were more mod binging and fixing the resulting mess of a game than actually playing it so I'm trying to make it all last by only going on binges every thirty or so hours. At least it's a pretty game for now.

Been trying to finally get around to actually playing Duke Nukem 3D but just, I dunno, something about it isn't grabbing me like I figured it would. It's a very weird game to me, I've never really seen anything handle like it.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2378 on: February 27, 2015, 04:54:51 pm »
I finally finished Valkyria Chronicles!

Lemme tell you there are some ubber hard battles in this game, so I am actually surprised to learn that the final boss is not that tough, though in this case if you screw up, at least half of your squad is as good as dead.

I've played a ton of JRPGs this generation: Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms, Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Phantasy Star Universe and Resonance of Fate.

I even took the time to get busy with Final Fantasy XII. I would put this PS2 games over quite a few current gens JRPGs. But man, Valkyria Chronicles is something special.

SEGA had a handfull of titles this generation that were pretty good and I'm happy to have played a lot of them with the more recent one being Alien: Isolation. Out of all of them, I had singled out Resonance of Fate as my own personal favorite this gen. I actually hated this game when I got it for my birthday in 2010. Sold it, bought a copy a few years later and kept going. Hard, but rewarding and refresing.

It's everything I wanted out of a JRPG, it was fast, they've cut corners on all the right places, the action was exciting even if it was just a one-trick pony. Plus, new game plus with stuff that I could carry over? F***ing sold.

But man, Valkyria Chronicles has got it all and so much more. At it's core, it's a JRPG, or more specifically a SRPG that doesn't feel like one. Where you station your troops and how you can use the terrain to take out your foes. One thing that puts VC over RoF is definately the story. The story in RoF isn't bad, more like a collection of loosely connected stories that build into a final confrontation. VC's story is rich and detailed, particulatly since it's heavily inspired by World War II. Like RoF, there's no real, OMG Massive Doomsday / World Ending scenario (a just a little, since for the most part, it's about soldiers and war drama).

I love this game.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #2379 on: February 28, 2015, 09:08:25 pm »
Atelier Rorona. it's part of the PSN Vita Birthday sale so I figured why not. Can't go wrong at $16. GAF loves the game. Aside from the performance issues I'm enjoying the game. It's pretty complex and overwhelming, but it also seems pretty fun and addicting. Just gotta keep playing and getting better.

but yeah, the performance. it seems a lot of Japanese games have performance issues lately. oh well. not the end of the world for a turn based RPG, just a bit annoying. Really no excuse for the game to be having framerate issues on the Vita with the graphics it has. Oh well! game is still fun.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:14:08 pm by Happy Cat »

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #2380 on: March 01, 2015, 03:05:44 am »
Top Gear 2 (Genesis) - The soundtrack is replicated nicely from the Snes version. The "swoosh" sound when you pass another race car gives the game a gripping sense of speed. Might be playing this one for a while.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2381 on: March 02, 2015, 05:17:22 pm »
Started my second playthrough of Valkyria Chronicles with New Game +. Finished the first 8 chapters in less than 2 hours and I've just started Chapter 13.

I found a fun and fast way to gain EXP, there's one side story ( What Lies Beyond Hate ), since NG+ allows you to replay any story battle, this one is fast (only takes two turns to finish it) and an A-rank gets you a sweet 40000+ EXP Points. Very awesome. Used all that extra experience to max out the Scouts and the Shocktroopers.

Also, so far so good, haven't lost of my soldiers... yet.

Man, this game is awesome.

Offline George

« Reply #2382 on: March 02, 2015, 05:48:24 pm »
Glad your enjoying it. It was my favorite PS3 game of all time (and the sole reason I purchased it in 2008). Its SEGA through and through.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2383 on: March 04, 2015, 01:03:14 pm »
I just finished Pikmin 3 on the Wii U the other day, and I'm about halfway through Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy on the 3DS.

In between, I'm working my way through OlliOlli 2 on the Vita.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2384 on: March 05, 2015, 02:26:27 am »
Has been a long time soup. Pikmin 3 is a cool game!

Ive sent my n3ds to repair recently, and had some time to screw around with the vita again. Its weird because ive had the thing for some time but i never really gave it any priority. Gave monkey ball splitz to my little cousin(who really loves it)

Ive been playing Final fantasy X on the vita now. I like it a lot!