Author Topic: Sonic Runners: A New iOS / Android game?  (Read 57204 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Sonic Runners: A New iOS / Android game?
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2015, 04:16:43 am »
Is this out on european iOS yet?
SEG4GES

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2015, 10:04:57 am »
Rad, I understand you work in the industry of films, but really the MPAA is bullshit. Honestly find the whole idea of 'bad language' bizarre. Honestly, who is offended with the term 'damn' and why does the MPAA dictate what is good or bad language? 

Well, from a broad perspective I don't care about language.  I'm not a housewife and it's not as if there's anything morally wrong with knuckles dropping a curse here or there; it just feels out of style imo. 

What I abhor is the notion of shoe-horning curse words into something to somehow make it edgier or more for adults.  It's pretty much everything wrong with ShtH in a nutshell from a tonal point of view.  In this case, it feels more like a careless mistake than an attempt at any kind of appeal to teenagers so it's not a big deal. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:08:03 am by Radrappy »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2015, 10:28:35 am »
Not sure if you guys are kidding or not but

a) 'Damn' absolutely is still a swear/curse word; you're not allowed to have characters say it on any major children's television network and it does officially go towards a movie's language score in the MPAA rating system.

b) Regardless, Knuckles has never spoken like this up until now and it feels super weird coming out of him.     

c) it's probably in all honestly just a poor translation of the Japanese "darn it."

d) the last time sonic characters said damn was in shadow the hedgehog.  nuff said.

this is all probably just a taste thing but it definitely makes me cringe hardcore. 

I find it more cringe inducing that damn is considered a swear word. Damn, or dammit really means very little unless you are deeply religious. Same as bloody hell, which is considered worse, at least in the UK. Both damn and bloody come up a lot in a kids book called Skellig, which is a regular book study in primary school at age 10-11.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVRkWDlJgBk
Made by SEGA

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2015, 12:12:46 pm »
I'm not disputing whether damn should or should not be offensive, I just don't think it sounds right coming out of Knuckles.  Don't bring your language crusade to me, I don't care one bit about the issue. 

Also, cursing in Japanese is not a 1:1 equivalent to English.  Culturally the words do not carry the same weight at all.  You can translate "Kuso" or "Chikusho" as "damn" or "shit," but you're not fully appreciating the nuanced differences between them.  They simply aren't taboo over there.

Also translating "Bakayarou" as "bastard" among other things is extremely loosey-goosey.  It literally translates to "stupid person."

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:21:25 pm by Radrappy »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2015, 01:45:37 pm »
Is this out on european iOS yet?
No. You have to make a canadian iTunes account to get it.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2015, 03:35:33 pm »
I'm not disputing whether damn should or should not be offensive, I just don't think it sounds right coming out of Knuckles.  Don't bring your language crusade to me, I don't care one bit about the issue. 

Also, cursing in Japanese is not a 1:1 equivalent to English.  Culturally the words do not carry the same weight at all.  You can translate "Kuso" or "Chikusho" as "damn" or "shit," but you're not fully appreciating the nuanced differences between them.  They simply aren't taboo over there.

Also translating "Bakayarou" as "bastard" among other things is extremely loosey-goosey.  It literally translates to "stupid person."

I'm not sure I'm the one with the language crusade here...
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2015, 03:57:41 pm »
The game isnt available in my play store either. But there's android apk floating around. Not sure if its wrong to share, since its free to play with in game microtransactions. Which strangely all function correctly with euros and everything.

Ive played a bit more. Thought maybe ive been a bit harsh and gave it a genuine chance. So it is not randomly generated I think. Seems like im going through 2/3 variarion of the same run over and over again. It feels pretty good when u start to handle everything well so I do see a lot of potential. But there doesnt seem a lot of content at the moment. I got to rank 8. Should I expect new environments?

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2015, 04:42:35 pm »
The game isnt available in my play store either. But there's android apk floating around. Not sure if its wrong to share, since its free to play with in game microtransactions. Which strangely all function correctly with euros and everything.

Ive played a bit more. Thought maybe ive been a bit harsh and gave it a genuine chance. So it is not randomly generated I think. Seems like im going through 2/3 variarion of the same run over and over again. It feels pretty good when u start to handle everything well so I do see a lot of potential. But there doesnt seem a lot of content at the moment. I got to rank 8. Should I expect new environments?

Retro Sonic have been pulling out a bunch of assets from playable Metal Sonic to Big the Cat as well as music tracks that seem made for a snow level. So probably expect a bunch more content in future since we're current in the test phase.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2015, 04:45:07 pm »
Yes, I posted the APK here:
http://segabits.com/blog/2015/02/25/sonic-runners-is-out-now-on-the-google-play-and-itunes/

also link to the work around for iTunes users (like always people ignore our hard work on the front page. Thanks, you guys make us feel good like always).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2015, 08:05:15 pm »
Does the current version end at a certain episode, or does it keep going? I am currently at Episode 18.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2015, 09:15:12 pm »
Does the current version end at a certain episode, or does it keep going? I am currently at Episode 18.

Think I read somewhere it goes to Episode 50 or something.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2015, 01:39:53 am »
Retro Sonic have been pulling out a bunch of assets from playable Metal Sonic to Big the Cat as well as music tracks that seem made for a snow level. So probably expect a bunch more content in future since we're current in the test phase.
Lol sounds good. Used to be very informed on this sort of stuff. Should probably visit retro every now and then like I used to.

@George. U know good point. I have the forums on bookmark but its not a bad idea to set the frontpage as my homepage.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2015, 05:35:17 am »
No. You have to make a canadian iTunes account to get it.
Not sure if serious..
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2015, 09:42:02 am »
Not sure if serious..

He's serious, it soft launched in Canada in the same way Crazy Taxi City Rush did to test the game before rolling out to America and Europe. SEGA West says they have "no plans" for other territories at the moment, but this is bullshit as the game is likely to get a wide release in the coming months. Hell, I would not be surprised to see it getting a wide release in a month or so.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2015, 02:14:04 pm »
I really don't understand the purpose of this "soft launch" stuff