Author Topic: iPad: Who gives a shit?  (Read 50005 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: iPad: Who gives a shit?
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2010, 03:09:10 pm »
The fact that anyone would defend a product by saying "LOL HTML 5" is the future, is mind boggling. It is not the future yet, it COULD be. But that gives the devices no excuses to use flash and HTML 5, it is better for the consumer.

Sadly, some fanboys don't see what is best for the consumer, they just see what Apple supports.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2010, 04:40:01 pm »
So I need to earn over $100,000 a year to justify this but I'll still be a moron for buying one?
Well I only earn a bit over $40,000 an apparently flash is mega important for some reason so maybe I shouldn't touch these things.

message sent from my iPhone.

Offline George

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2010, 04:50:35 pm »
I'm more forgiving about lack of flash on a phone, since I hate watching videos from phones. But a laptop replacement (aka what Steve said iPad was) is totally out of the question. you don't have to justify anything, it is your money  and you are allowed to purchase what you want.

I'm personally disappointed that Apple does not allow Flash or I would have most likely gotten one. (What with the update coming fall)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2010, 04:56:36 pm »
Quote from: "George"
The fact that anyone would defend a product by saying "LOL HTML 5" is the future, is mind boggling. It is not the future yet, it COULD be. But that gives the devices no excuses to use flash and HTML 5, it is better for the consumer.

Sadly, some fanboys don't see what is best for the consumer, they just see what Apple supports.
I do not understand your gripe with people that buy Apple products. If these "fanboys" like them, why wouldn't they buy them?
And don't say that they argue on the internet, cause they're not arguing alone.

I buy Apple products mainly because I like their interfaces. I like to have an array of products that all function similarly and are easy to use.

If like me Apple fans think that Apple products are better, why would they not buy Apple products?

Also, one of the triumphs of HTML5 over Flash is that the iPhone/iPad/iPod support it. Whether you like to admit or not, if a large chunk of people like Apple and use Apple products then this should be the target market for the evolution of technology. Hence, shove Flash up Adobe's ass and use HTML5. It is the only way to get to this booming number of people.
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2010, 05:07:58 pm »
HTML5 (or rather video over HTML5) implies there is a definite decision over the codec to be used. There isn't one yet, two codecs compete: h264 (proprietary) and Ogg Theora (open source). Steve Jobs said he doesn't like Flash because it's not an open technology. H.264 isn't an open standard as well yet Apple support this codec for their HTML5 solution. I can't understand this logic.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2010, 05:14:48 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
You have, on multiple occasions, come out and insulted me, so why should I be friends with you?

Please PM me a list of the times I outright insulted you (use "learn to read" as an example). I'd be happy to see what you find to be a personal insult.

And as a mod I am simply telling you to watch it. This is the last I will be talking about this in this thread.

As for the iPad, I agree with George. The iPhone is one thing, but the fact that the iPad is supposed to be a laptop inbetween should give it flash support. I mean, the thing even has the ability to connect to a keyboard and sit upright like a laptop would. I, for one, won't be buying it. However, I'm a big fan of the iPod Touch. :)

Offline George

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2010, 08:04:11 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Quote from: "George"

I do not understand your gripe with people that buy Apple products. If these "fanboys" like them, why wouldn't they buy them?
And don't say that they argue on the internet, cause they're not arguing alone.

I buy Apple products mainly because I like their interfaces. I like to have an array of products that all function similarly and are easy to use.

If like me Apple fans think that Apple products are better, why would they not buy Apple products?

Also, one of the triumphs of HTML5 over Flash is that the iPhone/iPad/iPod support it. Whether you like to admit or not, if a large chunk of people like Apple and use Apple products then this should be the target market for the evolution of technology. Hence, shove Flash up Adobe's ass and use HTML5. It is the only way to get to this booming number of people.
Flash + HTML5 = best for consumers.

Sorry that I like a choice.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2010, 04:33:55 pm »
Yes, but you end up being a minority. In the end, most everyone doesn't give a shit, that's why those things sell like popsicles. So Apple just does whatever it wants..

It's their way of pushing their own ideals into the market I guess.
SEG4GES

Offline George

« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2010, 05:15:26 pm »
Minority?

Majority of sites use flash. Minority of people use apple OS's. I guess I'm the majority in actuality.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2010, 05:32:51 pm »
Minority of people use Apple OS's? Just look at the freaking iPhone sales. That's a huge market right there that newer developers want to get a hold on. If Flash doesn't work, they use other stuff (HTML5 for example).
SEG4GES

Offline George

« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2010, 05:56:07 pm »
iPhone? Hardly counts. Not many phones support any type of flash. Does not change the war of Flash for adobe at all. Android is getting Flash support soon and Nokia's already got it.

OSX has gotten less than 10% of the market share.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2010, 02:51:34 am »
iPhone OS is a form of OSX.

Offline George

« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2010, 03:29:40 am »
Android is a form of Chrome OS. So now it should count to that or the browser count as OS numbers?

Regardless, its childish of a company to have a grudge against someone and say "NO MORE FLASH, EVEN THOUGH TONS OF SITES SUPPORT IT. WE DON'T CARE" then having fans actually rally behind them and say "YES, THIS IS GREAT".

The open debate is not true. the reason that Apple does not support it, is because it won't have control of content via Flash. Meaning, users won't have to buy flash games at the APP store, some site will already have them playable. Its against their restrictive TOS and I don't know why anyone would support restrictions on devices.

- Can a device be good with restrictions?
YES.

- Will I buy a heavy restricted device?
NO.

I think Apple's hardware biggest downfall is Apple themselves. IMO.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2010, 10:49:11 am »
If the "iPhone hardly counts" then what the fuck are you talking about dude? :/

OSX has flash. iPhone OS doesn't.
It's the iPhone and iPad we are talking about here.
SEG4GES

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2010, 01:04:41 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
If the "iPhone hardly counts" then what the fuck are you talking about dude? :/

OSX has flash. iPhone OS doesn't.
It's the iPhone and iPad we are talking about here.

Yeah that argument doesn't make any sense.  You can't say iPhone OS doesn't count, then say it's bad that it doesn't support flash.  George, you do realize it's iPhone OS 3.2 on the iPad, right?

Quote from: "george"
The open debate is not true. the reason that Apple does not support it, is because it won't have control of content via Flash. Meaning, users won't have to buy flash games at the APP store, some site will already have them playable. Its against their restrictive TOS and I don't know why anyone would support restrictions on devices.

You don't get to decide why Apple doesn't support Flash in iPhone OS.  There's a letter from Steve Jobs explaining it.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/