Author Topic: Post your current thoughts thread  (Read 1115717 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Post your current thoughts thread
« Reply #3930 on: September 12, 2014, 05:17:12 pm »
I agree, Aki-at I'll let you do the honors, because I'm a lazy cunt, frankly.

Frankly MadeManG, I'm thinkig tjat I'm lazier than you. infact I am so lazy i refuse to fix up the spelling and grammwr issues in this post, thats how lazy i am.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #3931 on: September 12, 2014, 05:18:46 pm »
I'm probably lazier than the both of you, hence why i'm browsing this site while at work. =)
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3932 on: September 12, 2014, 08:41:08 pm »
I'm probably lazier than the both of you, hence why i'm browsing this site while at work. =)

You just earned yourself a kudos.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #3933 on: September 14, 2014, 10:41:44 pm »
I'm so frustrated with our comments system right now. I fully understand how wordpress comments work now and got all our code correct yet the comment replies on segabits 4 won't nest... sigh. Worked on this issue like 4 hours tonight. so burnt out. Will try tackling the issue again another day when I'm not so frustrated feeling.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:43:49 pm by Will »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3934 on: September 15, 2014, 02:14:08 am »
That Windows 9, man... Friggin' sold.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #3935 on: September 15, 2014, 07:37:40 pm »
That Windows 9, man... Friggin' sold.

I've heard that Windows 9 is going to be a slight upgrade to Windows 8. Will be interesting to see how everything works out. Apparently Windows 8 users will get it for quite cheap.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #3936 on: September 15, 2014, 10:38:20 pm »
You just earned yourself a kudos.

Haha, thanks dude. =)

Glad the sites back up though.

So MS buys out Mojang, gonna be interesting.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #3937 on: September 16, 2014, 02:34:38 am »
I had initially saved this text while drafting a response to the discussions earlier about all the previous stuff about making games, zoe quinn and etc., and hadn't put it up because I got caught up doing other stuff while working on it. ignore if so desired, it doesn't require a response or debate but I figured I'd just put it up for posterity.

---

I don't often see people calling for games to flat out not exist. Criticizing an artistic direction as tasteless or offensive and desiring people to move away from that isn't the same thing. And besides, I think that the reasons for disliking a game for its craftsmanship or design, genre, etc. are different than noting that a certain aspect of one game, whether it's portrayal of a character or dialogue, can reflect and reinforce certain demographic trends and what's "popular" in society. there's a decent logic in saying that money moves with it. Just look at this NeoGAF thread for another example: "...but don't make them TOO black." It's about the "soft whitening" of characters like Vanessa from Virtua Fighter and Jade from Mortal Kombat.

I don't think creativity is a divine force. Make no mistake I appreciate people who are creative, but it can be as much contingent and a reflection of one's tastes, favorite games and art, upbringing and environment as it is a function of willpower. I feel creativity is like personal taste in that sense, influenced by all those things, and not a fixed essence that is eternally true to one self. I don't really see why it's an issue when people criticize a game for being pandering or sexist. It can't be an issue just about content control, because gaming marketing and demographics already creates narratives for how to showcase characters and the presence of designing by committee is already known. Nathan Drake is a prime example of that. Also, project management sometimes demands the cutting of content. I just think it's overestimated, the ease and virtue/merit of maintaining something true to the self or one's vision - or at least, it's not always clear. I don't see an author's absolute control over creative production as an absolute good.

Sure, I don't think anything that shows off a woman with little clothing is sexist - I don't think Morrigan Aensland is sexist, and feminism has a history of believing a women defining her sexuality can be a means to empowerment. But the audience for games with fanservice content that appeal to straight white dudes simply seems to receive the most mainstream attention and the idea of just making more games that appeal to other audiences isn't going to work by itself. It will take ages for the audience to organically appear without sympathetic people already drawing more attention to it. And besides, art with personal values or messages imbued in it is as old as Guernica, and older. the same applies to art with subconscious meaning and influence.

As for the Reddit and NeoGAF thing, NeoGAF has exercised discretion over coverage of certain things in the past. They disallow "cool story bro" and "PC master race". They already disallow links to vgchartz, I believe dualshockers, and some bad news sites. They recently disallowed topics on Criminal Girls because the resulting discussion is often toxic ("fanservice/pedo trash", posting waifu pics, ensuing vitriol) and requires more attention than other fanservice-y games and more time than the moderators are willing to devote. It's a volunteered job, moderation, and I can understand if they say that they are tired of devoting free time to consistently toxic discussion that often retreads the same things regarding content (read: Criminal Girls) that they already find in poor taste generally. This is why they say they can't always create hard, strictly defined rules, because some moderation policies are purely in response to the userbase (read: creepshots) and aren't universal, fundamental principles. FWIW, the decision was democratic amongst mods, which is what sometimes happen on big issues, and there were a couple of dissenters IIRC but none objecting more strongly. That being said, this, in tandem with what I'm putting below, is why I understand their decision - which is to centralize the discussion into one thread.

as for Reddit, eh, that varies upon subreddit because there's a tendency in reddit for ideological congregation (neither bad nor good, necessarily) and I'm less familiar with that discussion in general because unlike GAF there are too many discussions going on in reddit at once.

The Zoe Quinn thing also had to do with the publication of a female game dev's sex life without consent. The ex-boyfriend's motivations are murky at best- he's at least as much bitter as he is apparently invested in a narrative about industry corruption. And the boyfriend admitted that he was bitter when he made his expose - every right to feel bitter but here's the thing. nepotism is a thing in the industry, and I think it's bull that Eron Gjoni became more concerned then about nepotism and used an ex's sex life and dysfunction to make his point, because this has obviously been something on his mind for a long time. When he was confident he was done with their personal relationship, and decided that publicizing private FB and Gchats was appropriate.

I still think that there are things that Zoe Quinn has done that are exceedingly ugly but the narrative that produced the airing of this in public is gross as is the obfuscation of the reaction to it. She's immature and messed up and she admits to it repeatedly, and on some level over the course of whatever term described couldn't stop her destructive behaviors. I'm sure she dealt with some major stuff in the past, and she will probably insist on changing and have immense difficulty stopping. The totality of what she's dealing with will take a long time to change. I feel bad for Eron somewhat because he was cheated on (with an unconfirmed number of guys) and Zoe told him what he wanted to hear sometimes because my guess is she wants to maintain a relationship with someone who she thinks knows her. It's hard to know, from Eron's POV, exactly who you're dealing with in that sort of situation. But he handled this poorly and a bit dishonestly, and hopefully some things change for both of them (for example, it's not true that when you have sex with someone there has to be something emotional there.) All of that has less to do with an overarching narrative about corruption in the industry than it does with immature people. Which is both of them by the way - look at some of his responses and attitude like the five guys thing, even though he didn't cheat. You'd find similar behaviors to what Zoe Quinn's accused of in most any industry and either gender - it's a human dysfunction question. But that the core of this issue is about defending or supporting her, and that taking either side affirms some sort of stance on corruption in the gaming industry is nonsense.

I'll end all that with this, which sort of covers what I was getting at above:

"In a well-run media organisation, advertising and editorial are separated, everyone understands the boundaries. But often, from the outside, these interconnections can be read as subjectivity"

"...There’s a sense that social justice warriors are going to “ruin games”. But how? This is a tiny subset of writers and developers sharing a left-leaning ideology – they are big on Twitter, but they are not going to convince Activision, EA, Capcom or any other multinational games corporations to stop making games that conflict with their beliefs.

The games industry is a global, multi-billion dollar giant, fuelled by money, not dogma. There will be no social justice revolution – just as the rise of feminist film criticism in the 70s and the explosion of indie cinema in the 80s did not stop Hollywood from making blockbuster sexist action flicks..."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:39:37 am by inthesky »
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3938 on: September 16, 2014, 10:49:38 am »
^ I can't read all that right now, but it sounds like a good read. I also made a post in General Gaming for this stuff if anyone is interested.

I just want to say NeoGAF seems like it's full of people racing to be offended about anything they can, and it makes me laugh.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #3939 on: September 16, 2014, 08:45:46 pm »
Manned Spaceflight is finally returning to the United States

Won't officially start until around 2017, but it is happening.

Also, Amazon and Boeing are going a step further by attempting to source production engines in the US as well.

It's about time Space race 1.5 started! I am thrilled.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #3940 on: September 17, 2014, 01:05:45 am »
I also remember seeing this a while ago

http://news.discovery.com/space/alien-life-exoplanets/curiosity-watches-the-martian-clouds-drift-by-140905.htm

Little more evidence that life exists, existed, or can exist on Mars. Seeing actual photos of the planet is something else. It's just like vast nothingness. Typically I find huge landscapes like that cool, even in nature but it just looks like arid desert. Maybe it's the lack of color or something.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:14:47 pm by inthesky »
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3941 on: September 17, 2014, 09:49:43 am »
Manned Spaceflight is finally returning to the United States

Won't officially start until around 2017, but it is happening.

Also, Amazon and Boeing are going a step further by attempting to source production engines in the US as well.

It's about time Space race 1.5 started! I am thrilled.

That's great news! I went to Canaveral after the program ended and it just didn't have the same spark. It was a lot of fun, but to know that launches were in the past was sad.

My wife's grandmother has a condo that overlooks the ocean and you can watch the launches from there. Great to hear that they will soon return.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #3942 on: September 17, 2014, 11:34:49 am »
I myself live about 10 or so minutes from the Kennedy space center Visitors complex and about 20 or so from Canaveral.

Going down to the water to oversee the launch pad and control centers is always so thrilling.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3943 on: September 19, 2014, 05:36:31 pm »
Ahhh yeaaah!

Supergirl is getting a Live-Action TV show and a Suicide Squad movie is all but confirmed. Go, DC, go, DC, GO!

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #3944 on: September 19, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »
Finally getting a chance to play Destiny tonight, gonna stream on Twitch.