Author Topic: 15 years on...time for a new Sega system?  (Read 28432 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: 15 years on...time for a new Sega system?
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2014, 09:12:57 am »
I'm not arguing competency, I'm arguing resources.

It takes Feral Interactive between 3-4 years to port a Total War game to OSX(usually 3). The Creative Assembly is more or less on Track to port Rome II over a 2 or 3 year cycle at this rate. Sega Hardlight has only ever ported to mobile and Windows.

I'm saying, that these games take time, so while Sega is capable of porting(Which I never argued), it will still be a considerable wait.

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realise how few games work on SteamOS.

The other point would be is it worth Sega's time? They would probably make so much more money just leaving it dedicated to Windows rather than trying to make a Steambox work.

Maybe if Steamboxes become a hit when some dedicated hardware guys try them out, then Sega might decide to play in that space, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2014, 12:01:32 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realise how few games work on SteamOS.

The other point would be is it worth Sega's time? They would probably make so much more money just leaving it dedicated to Windows rather than trying to make a Steambox work.

Maybe if Steamboxes become a hit when some dedicated hardware guys try them out, then Sega might decide to play in that space, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

That is the thing as I mentioned, Feral handles the OSX TW ports.

The only Linux port to my knowledge(excluding potential 3rd parties) Sega has themselves funded is FM14, and the initiative was apparently at least somewhat successful because FM15 is also getting a linux port.

With regard to OS ports, Sega doesn't actually publish the porting of TW to OSX. Feral interactive port it themselves and they are the publishers for Total war on OSX. So I assume either Sega funds *some* of the porting or none of it. So as of now, Sega is currently funding FM15, Rome 2, and COH2 I assume due to the fact that it has linux code in the SteamDB entry all internally.

Empire looks like it is being ported by feral again, similar to how Aspyr ported and published the Mac and Linux version of Civilization 5. So Sega doesn't have to port all the games internally, they can contract companies or even individuals like Ryan Gordon to do their ports.

Again, my main concern is that even in the even that sega pursues a steambox, games will not be ready to launch with it for some time, and that is a problem.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:03:44 pm by JRcade19 »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2014, 01:51:36 pm »
Again that's ridiculous.Resources isn't really an issue with Segasammy..they have money to burn at this point..more so than Sega enterprises ever did. Also If someone knows they are going to use a system using SBX tech they are going to apply the time to make the titles ready and fit the launch date around that schedule. Even then Sega has the best tech wizards in the business and can get around obstacles like this. They've done it numerous times in their history with game and arcade systems. But as i said Sega would more likely license the games out to be ported rather than commit as a first party console provider..

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2014, 03:21:43 pm »
Almost every licensed company Sega has ever worked with has either folded, been purchased, or is currently busy/working at Max capacity.

If you have suggestions feel free to present them, because I don't see many options available externally, studio-wise, even less if we're talking native ports.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2014, 08:46:01 am »
Almost every licensed company Sega has ever worked with has either folded, been purchased, or is currently busy/working at Max capacity.

If you have suggestions feel free to present them, because I don't see many options available externally, studio-wise, even less if we're talking native ports.

That's nonsense. Majesco has licensed many Sega products and they're still around...So are many others ...you're acting that they don't have the resources to do it..they do...they just DON'T spend the resources as much as they use to. Big difference.
And licensing is such a big thing it wouldn't make a difference if one company was no longer around when another company will takes its place to license Sega products. Which there are many who currently hold licenses of Sega IP and tech.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2014, 10:19:09 am »
There you go again...equating resources to money when I quite clearly defined Sega's greatest issue as available manpower.

Sega needed to be expanding, or at least properly maintain itself the last gen. It didn't. Instead it decided that it was not going to expand on successful IP, decided not to take into account what they did wrong but always blame the market, and has fragmented its userbase over and over again.

They should have been exploring with more 3rd parties last gen
They should have looked into publishing partnerships harder last gen for localizations
They should have been creating an maintaining new studios, not closing them down(within reason).

These aren't problems that you can simply just make go away. Money isn't the problem, Management is.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2014, 03:34:20 pm »
There you go again...equating resources to money when I quite clearly defined Sega's greatest issue as available manpower.

Sega needed to be expanding, or at least properly maintain itself the last gen. It didn't. Instead it decided that it was not going to expand on successful IP, decided not to take into account what they did wrong but always blame the market, and has fragmented its userbase over and over again.

They should have been exploring with more 3rd parties last gen
They should have looked into publishing partnerships harder last gen for localizations
They should have been creating an maintaining new studios, not closing them down(within reason).

These aren't problems that you can simply just make go away. Money isn't the problem, Management is.

Yawn..you clearly have no clue what you are talking about. Sega is one of the big companies that does an annual mass recruitment. Manpower has never been a problem at Sega.

As for the management..well this is all hypothetical anyway. No one expects Sega to do what were proposing. What's the point of arguing that they can't because of this and that when its just a hypothesis question?
They have the resources to di it which i said at the beginning and i also said they would more likely license it out rather doing it directly themselves. You are the one who has started to make the case that Sega hasn't this resource..or the licenses or this and that..which isn't true BTW..but i have never stated at the beginning that Sega would do it themselves but more likely license it for someone else to do it..if they were interested.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2014, 07:52:26 pm »
The irony. Oh the irony.

Anyway yes, let's look at Sega's wonderful examples of Annual Mass Recruitment.

As for the management..well this is all hypothetical anyway. No one expects Sega to do what were proposing. What's the point of arguing that they can't because of this and that when its just a hypothesis question?

Red herring.

Whether something is or isn't a hypothesis/hypothetical is irrelevant. It is a supposition, an idea, a presented situation, conjecture ect....Thus is open to appropriate criticism.

Simply stating "well none of this is going to happen anyway" is not a valid defense and shows sign of a weak foundation.

But alas as you said, we are done here, so I bid thee adieu.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:49 pm »
Some of those firings where more management then developers, one of them is when SEGA Europe and SEGA America merged into SEGA West and they had lots of people doing the exact same thing.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2014, 04:33:24 am »
Most of it are QAs and management like George said, the closing of Secret Level, SEGA Racing Studio and SEGA Studio Australia would be a better example to cite.

But between that SEGA recruited/purchased Relic, Three Rings Design, Atlus and greatly expanded both The Creative Assembly (From 100 dev team to over 300) Sports Interactive has a Korean division now, Hardlight was setup with the remains of SEGA Racing Studio and SEGA Networks was created with some 300 odd developers assigned to the division.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2014, 08:05:01 am »
The irony. Oh the irony.

Anyway yes, let's look at Sega's wonderful examples of Annual Mass Recruitment.

Red herring.

Whether something is or isn't a hypothesis/hypothetical is irrelevant. It is a supposition, an idea, a presented situation, conjecture ect....Thus is open to appropriate criticism.

Simply stating "well none of this is going to happen anyway" is not a valid defense and shows sign of a weak foundation.

But alas as you said, we are done here, so I bid thee adieu.

In other words...you have no idea what you are talking about couldn't back it up and are now running away..and to boot two other people have backed me up.

Listen kid..if you are going to join these type of discussions. LEARN THE SUBJECT MATTER.
Don't think that coming here makes you an automatic expert on this type of thing. This forum..this place is KNOWN to be one of the leading places for sega smart fans..because of its material and in depth discussions. Over a ten year period now from where the core group was at sega nerds to where we are now. Its been known to reveal games months even a full year before they're revealed. WE had discussions about the inner workings of SOJ...in particular SOJ  vs SOA way before it became the topic for everyone in the past month. Financial reports that are common place now was started by ME..jonboy and Aki back in the old Sega forums went to SN and to now wghere he does it on his own. And that's the tip of the iceberg. In fact anything that many sega sites have followed if not all game sites have come so because of what that core group of fans has done. So i really don't need some one who was probably in his nappies when these discussions originally took place around here coming to me and talking about stuff that he is clearly wrong about.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:07:39 am by ROJM »