Author Topic: Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin (Kenzan Sequel) [Edo Period]  (Read 69089 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin (Kenzan Sequel) [Edo Period]
« on: August 18, 2013, 03:23:21 am »
Most likely PS4.

You play as Sakamoto Ryouma in Edo Period of Japan, this is pretty much a sequel to Kenzan, something I wanted to play but couldn't.

I really hope they will localize this, will make me buy a PS4!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin (Kenzan Sequel) [Edo Period]
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:58:09 am »
Kenzan's biggest problem was it never made them any money, so localising it would just make the game lose even more money, hopefully that isn't the case with this game. Not that I am hopeful of localisation, them taking so long with Yakuza 5 has me worried.

Anyway, let's watch the Kenzan intro to get hyped, I'll import day one regardless;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBFDJlmdRCE

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:00:58 am »
They should localize it as a new IP and it may be moderately successful in the West.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 06:16:41 am »
KENZEN made money, that's nonsense. And this game is more of a spiritual sequel to KENZEN much like placing Kirryu as the famous Miyamoto, this game places him as another legendary Samurai figure. And if its that particular samura then this definatly wont be coming to the west especially america.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:21:05 am »
Makes me think back to the early PS3 days with Valkyria, Kenzan and Virtua Fighter 5.

Would be neat if a similar line-up repeats.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:44:43 am »
Makes me think back to the early PS3 days with Valkyria, Kenzan and Virtua Fighter 5.

Would be neat if a similar line-up repeats.

It would be better if a similar line up sold around  more than 300K and not under 200K like what happened with Sega's launch PS3 titles.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:51:25 am »
I don't know what Sega was thinking anyways back then to do such expensive (in comparision to other domestic stuff) Japan-only games only on PS3.

I woudn't put it past them to do it again, and bet on that the PS4 will catch on more on fire than PS3 did in Japan.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 01:17:24 pm »
I don't know what Sega was thinking anyways back then to do such expensive (in comparision to other domestic stuff) Japan-only games only on PS3.

I woudn't put it past them to do it again, and bet on that the PS4 will catch on more on fire than PS3 did in Japan.

The only one of those three that was exclusively domestic was Kenzan...

Offline Trippled

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 01:29:35 pm »
The only one of those three that was exclusively domestic was Kenzan...

Valkyria localization and the sales that came out of it were secondary...I think.

Anywho all these 3 games were tailored to a rather small audience. Everyone else was putting their games on PS3 and 360 and wanted a huge chunk out of the west.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 07:53:04 pm »
Valkyria localization and the sales that came out of it were secondary...I think.

Anywho all these 3 games were tailored to a rather small audience. Everyone else was putting their games on PS3 and 360 and wanted a huge chunk out of the west.

Valkyrie did well in the west after a price drop with strong word of mouth. It wasn't a launch game anywhere. It came out in April 08 in Japan and October in the west.

I would hardly call VF small potatoes for Sega. Virtua Fighter has always been a heavy hitter. All sold 1 million plus up to that point; most with ease. VF4 and Evo were major successes in every way a game can succeed. No reason to believe that VF5 would be anything other than a hit. It actually flopped hard... in Japan. And I would wager that has a lot to do with the relative failure of the PS3 circa 06. Numbers in the west were about par for the course relative to VF4.

Kenzan wasn't tailored to a rather small audience; it was tailored to the Japanese.

For the west, I might be mistaken, but Sonic 06 got a fuck ton of hype and a strong marketing push. There was also Condemned, Full Auto and whatever else. Sega wasn't MIA by a mile. They had their heaviest hitters and new IP both ready at launch.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:40 am »
For the west, I might be mistaken, but Sonic 06 got a fuck ton of hype and a strong marketing push. There was also Condemned, Full Auto and whatever else. Sega wasn't MIA by a mile. They had their heaviest hitters and new IP both ready at launch.

SEGA Japan  In-House Teams was really late to the park on next gen development - that was somewhat helped by Lindberg and the easy of porting the likes of VT 3, VF 5 to the PS3/XBox 360 . But many of their In-House Japanese studios were late and their next gen pipelines way behind the rest

It doesn't seem to be much better for the next gen of console this time around .

Everyone else was putting their games on PS3 and 360 and wanted a huge chunk out of the west.

Yep its the only way to grow and get serious sales . You need to be multi platform and making games with an eye to the west really . America and Europe are really where the major sales are for consoles (non Hand held )

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 06:19:25 am »
SEGA Japan  In-House Teams was really late to the park on next gen development - that was somewhat helped by Lindberg and the easy of porting the likes of VT 3, VF 5 to the PS3/XBox 360 . But many of their In-House Japanese studios were late and their next gen pipelines way behind the rest

It doesn't seem to be much better for the next gen of console this time around .

Yep its the only way to grow and get serious sales . You need to be multi platform and making games with an eye to the west really . America and Europe are really where the major sales are for consoles (non Hand held )

VF5, VT3 etc were made in house, in Japan. Lindbergh was next gen. Most of Sega's biggest titles are arcade games. That'd be like saying Square wasn't ready for next gen; they just got lucky they happened to have a next gen Final Fantasy lying around.

It seems to me that just about every team was working on next gen projects in 04, 05 and 06. AfterBurner, House of the Dead, Monkey Ball, VF, VT, Fifth Phantom Saga, Psi Phi, Sonic 06 and so on. Some were canned, some were great, some were dismal. But they weren't just sitting around with their thumbs up their arses.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:28:44 am »
08 wasn't that late at all tbh.

Capcom beat them to the punch, with Lost Planet, Dead Rising, DMC4, but Konami didn't come out with MGS4 until 08, and SE with FF13 in 09.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:49:48 pm by Trippled »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 02:43:56 pm »
VF5, VT3 etc were made in house, in Japan. Lindbergh was next gen.

? Lindberg was hardly state of the Art when it came it and in almost every area (bar Ram) was totally outlcassed by the 360 or PS3 . So porting game over wasn't that hard and in the end most of SEGA In-House teams were late to the Next Gen and way behind most in terms of tech and multi platform engines .

It seems to me that just about every team was working on next gen projects in 04, 05 and 06. AfterBurner, House of the Dead, Monkey Ball, VF, VT, Fifth Phantom Saga, Psi Phi, Sonic 06 and so on

I don't count Arcade games has anyway being SEGA working on next gen consoles games and I would hardly class a MonkeyBall game on the Wii as next gen either . Compared to Capcom, FromSoftware SEGA In-House Teams seem behind and it seems no different for next gen of consoles coming soon .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 07:13:52 am »
? Lindberg was hardly state of the Art when it came it and in almost every area (bar Ram) was totally outlcassed by the 360 or PS3 . So porting game over wasn't that hard and in the end most of SEGA In-House teams were late to the Next Gen and way behind most in terms of tech and multi platform engines .

I don't count Arcade games has anyway being SEGA working on next gen consoles games and I would hardly class a MonkeyBall game on the Wii as next gen either . Compared to Capcom, FromSoftware SEGA In-House Teams seem behind and it seems no different for next gen of consoles coming soon .

Well yes, Lindbergh was outclassed, but then it also wasn't designed to have an eight year shelf life, like the consoles. They stopped making Lindberg games in what, 08? I don't remember Sega really having to add a layer of spit and polish to Virtua Fighter before porting it over to the PS3, so I would say that the Lindberg was doing work on par with early PS3. Now obviously the Lindberg was not designed to handle something like The Last of Us, but it didnt have to, given the nature of arcade gaming and the lifespan of arcade cabinets. Even the various Model cabinets and Naomi had a three year lifespan. I would consider Lindberg next gen, because a PS2/XBox/GCN/DC could not handle VF5, just like Saturn couldn't handle VF3.