Author Topic: Would voice acting have to be redone if Shenmue 1&2 HD really came out?  (Read 3704 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
I have replayed shenmue quite a lot back in the days but now haven't played it for quite a long time. I remember really liking it and finding it charming in some weird way; most likely cuz I grew up with it. Now however after not playing it in a long time it sounds kind of goofy.. This is just from watching quick youtube vids. I actually dont even know where my dreamcast is at the moment, but yeah I cant really test how i'd enjoy  the games right now with the voice acting.

Anyway enough rambling. Are you still able to enjoy shenmue in it's original state or do you think voice acting needs to be redone for it to get more appreciation?

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Would voice acting have to be redone if Shenmue 1&2 HD really came out?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:13:21 am »
I actually like it. But would like to see it all redone because the sound quality is terrible.
SEG4GES

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:39:04 am »
Why can't we have both? Have a choice of if you want the original or new voices at the start of both games.

Offline NiGHTSDrEAMS

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 08:26:37 am »
If there were to be a re-releases of Shenmue 1&2, I would think that they would do something to help modify the voices in making the game sound better, but I think seeing the game HD would be the main goal.     

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:37:49 am »
Agree with Nights. Get the main game sorted and see what's left in the budget work with. I think I'd like the VA redone, but this time let SoA or SoE do it. Even if it's just the main characters redone. It would be great.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:48:44 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 12:23:39 pm »
I'm sorry, but I find audio just as (if not more) important than some clean textures or something.
The original score was beautiful, and the DCs sound chip produced crystal clear melody, the voices were utter shite (audio quality-wise) and it really drew me out of the experience. So that's one of the main issues to me.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 03:05:27 pm »
I'm sure the audio by default will get cleaned up just like the textures etc.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:57:02 pm »
That's the problem. You can't just clear up the audio. Not unless they held on to the (almost certainly analogue) master recordings for almost 20 years, which is something I don't expect Sega to do
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 10:59:48 pm »
Why can't we have both? Have a choice of if you want the original or new voices at the start of both games.
Seems like this would be the right thing otherwise you're bound to piss some people off lol. Tbh I would like some new voice acting but i'm almost sure that I would end up not liking it; i'm waay too used to the original. Shenmue 1's original voice acting is pretty decent compared to 2, but I agree the sound quality is baad for it.