Author Topic: Yakuza 0 coming West!  (Read 12435 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: Yakuza 0 coming West!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 09:27:49 am »
Hopefully they realize that it will benefit the series sales in the West if they pick up the pace of the localizations.

I think it'll be an interesting story, although I must admit, seeing a younger, meaner, more ruthless Kiryu is a bit off-putting. But it's cool that the series' longevity has allowed for a grand character arc.

As for the European release... I think it's in the best interest of all of us Western fans of the series that Europe gets in on the action ASAP.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 10:19:34 am »
A lack of a European release would only lend credibility to the rumors that Atlus, not Sega, is behind the sudden push for Yakuza in the West.

Hopefully this is disproven soon with the announcement of a European release.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 11:24:27 am »
A lack of a European release would only lend credibility to the rumors that Atlus, not Sega, is behind the sudden push for Yakuza in the West.

Hopefully this is disproven soon with the announcement of a European release.

As SEGA of America and Atlus USA basically operate of out the same building now I think they are, name aside, basically the same company sharing assets and workers but as far as I know the translation is done by SEGA's side. They have no reason to say otherwise, they let Atlus handle Stella Glow and made no effort to hide it.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 01:18:18 pm »
While I think they are using Atlus staff and resources, legally they cannot say that Atlus proper plays a part. Those working on the game are being classed as SEGA staff as it is a SEGA game and falls under SEGA's umbrella. To say Atlus plays any role at all would mean a whole lot of things legally and logistically.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 09:03:00 pm »
John Hardin, Atlus PR guy, posted on a Yakuza 5 thread earlier this week in response to people complaining about SEGA using Atlus stratey and ignoring Europe. He basically said it's either this or things go back to the way they were before. Pretty much indicating this is all happening because of Atlus. I'll see if I can find the post, but theres been so many Yakuza threads on gaf recently, so no promises.

I guess Atlus just doesn't have the resources needed for a complete EU localization which is why they ever only do USA. Interesting snippets from a recent yakuza stream by SEGA and Gamesradar. I didn't capture these, @SSF1991 on Twitter did.

Certainly leaves many questions. SEGA Japan has spoke in their financial reports how they want to localize games again, yet it seems SEGA West doesn't want to localize games still? So now it's happening through Atlus instead?

Atlus is the best thing that's ever happened to SEGA in a long time, if that's the case, IMO.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:06:02 pm by Happy Cat »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 11:04:07 pm »
I feel stupid after cheering for its release. Didnt know it was US only untill yesterday. Time to make a US account if that works

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 11:18:33 pm »
I feel stupid after cheering for its release. Didnt know it was US only untill yesterday. Time to make a US account if that works

If your thinking of Yakuza 5, its been released in Europe. You can download it now if you haven't. It's Yakuza 0 that isn't coming to Europe as of now. PS4 is region free though, so you can always just import a disc copy if SEGA Europe doesn't want to localize it.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 11:32:01 pm »
Nah was talking about 0. Y5 already bought. Gonna play it tonight and maybe post some impressions

Offline Ben

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 01:36:54 am »
While I think they are using Atlus staff and resources, legally they cannot say that Atlus proper plays a part. Those working on the game are being classed as SEGA staff as it is a SEGA game and falls under SEGA's umbrella. To say Atlus plays any role at all would mean a whole lot of things legally and logistically.

I only say that because typically Atlus hasn't had the best track record as far as releasing their games in Europe goes, something that Sega hadn't struggled much with in recent memory, especially with this series, which I thought did better in Europe than North America, honestly.

Seems strange to me to suddenly not have a European release.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:40:13 am by Ben »

Offline Sharky

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 03:54:08 am »
I am confident there will be a European release.

I think in the end this is kind of good news either way. I think SEGA America/Atlus USA are basically the same company now sharing the same business model, assets and staff and that bodes well for localization of more niche Japanese SEGA games in general. Even on the Yakuza 5 live stream the guy said he think's we're going to see a lot more of this sort of thing in the future.

SEGA Europe are obviously doing their own thing and are in charge of Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight and even Relic in Canada... But I think, Yakuza being already basically in English SEGA Europe wont have much trouble localizing it, but of course Europe has the added problem of multiple languages to cover.
Made by SEGA

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 08:55:47 am »
Reminder that the PS4 is region free, so even if the game isn't released in PAL regions you can still import the game with no catch.

It's basically a win-win situation in that sense.

Offline Ben

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 09:29:57 pm »
but of course Europe has the added problem of multiple languages to cover.

I understand that, but seeing as how this issue hasn't been a particularly big one for Sega in the past, I really hope it won't become one going forward, as the European SEGA fanbase has been quite good to the company over the years.

It's true that smaller companies like Atlus struggle to put out European releases for this reason, but Sega's a big enough company where it shouldn't be a problem for them to release games in the PAL market.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:31:58 pm by Ben »

Offline Sharky

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 05:52:18 pm »
Well don't quote me on it but I think Europe will still get these games, I think what this really shows is simply that unlike before when SEGA Europe and America were basically the same outfit doing the same things on different sides of the pond, they're now very different.

Still I think SEGA Europe will see the benefit of localizing these games, but it'll be their own decision on their own terms.
Made by SEGA

Offline Ben

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2015, 01:51:16 pm »
I think what this really shows is simply that unlike before when SEGA Europe and America were basically the same outfit doing the same things on different sides of the pond, they're now very different.

Hmm. Yeah I s'pose that could be a possibility.

Guess we'll see.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 12:40:25 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_k3u7mdMds

European release has been confirmed, also will be released in early 2017. Like in the US, it'll get a physical release.