Author Topic: Tokyo Game Show 2014: Godzilla saves TGS and revives Japan.  (Read 21074 times)

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
Re: Tokyo Game Show 2014: Godzilla saves TGS and revives Japan.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 02:25:47 pm »
I haven't played a DW or SW since DW6. My poor favorite Wu faction got a bit shafted, in terms of the sort of restricted story mode and stage selections. Though perhaps not as bad as Wei since KT had to make room for Jin. What was the game where they ended the Wei story mode at Fan Castle? :S

At least they made some good additions to the Wu roster recently.

DW games have some cool soundtracks, especially DW3 and DW6.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 04:29:34 pm »
Hmm.. Not really seeing the difference in games from last gen to this one. Which games are you referring to? I mean we're getting another mgs, ffxv looks western, bloodborne does too. Are there games I missed that seem more Japanese centric?

Theres been so much news i can't keep track of it all. I just feel like the Japanese game industry is making a huge come back after this TGS. Sony said during their TGS conference that they were working very closely with 3rd parties to revive the Japanese game industry on consoles. They obviously have been judging by this TGS.

Square Enix never had to finish FFXV, they could of let it fade away, would cost them less in the long run. They will never make back the money they have spent on FFXV development. At this point in time I think the only reason FFXV is being completed is pride, showing that the Japanese industry still has development chops. The Square Enix guys seemed really proud showing off FFXV on the live stream.

FF Type-0 was one of the most requested games by PlayStation owners to get localized according to Sony. They probably worked with Square Enix to get it on next gen consoles. Just because something is multiplatform doesn't mean Sony wasn't involved. Microsoft never cared about FF Type-0. Probably even never heard of it.

Not to mention all the PS3 and PS Vita Japanese games that are getting PS4 ports now. Obviously another move caused by Sony. Persona 5 being the big one. These devs had no reason to make PS4 ports with the low install base of the PS4 in Japan. Sony obviously talked with them.

After Microsoft was done money hatting every Japanese developer under the sun, the XBOX 360 killed most Japanese console development. Not saying the PS3 didn't, it was way too overpriced. But XBOX 360 changed the industry, for better in the US, for worse in Japan. Instead of making the kinds of games we love Japanese developers started making games aimed at western audiences. They quickly realized they just couldn't compete with AAA western development and gave up on making console games for the most part. There has been the occasional Japanese console game from big name Japanese devs or niche PS3 games, but nothing major until Persona 5.

This TGS tells me Japanese developers feel hyped about making console games again. Games that feel Japanese, not western. I'm really hyped about that. They seem to be banding together (thanks to Sony) to give the console industry one last shot. If they fail.. well.. at least they went out with a bang.

That is how I feel. I'm so hyped by this TGS. I'm really hopeful the Japanese industry can revive itself.

Also Bloodborne is very Japanese. It's a certain dark Japanese art style. Forgot it's name. my friend told me about it once. It's used in Japanese Manga. not all Japanese art styles are super bright anime.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:52:51 pm by Will »

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 06:09:53 pm »
Also, lol at this pic

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 10:03:42 pm »
When talking about Bloodborne being very Japanese are you referring to Berserk?

I wouldn't exactly say it Japanese per say. Kentaro miura has said many times in interviews that his biggest influneces were movies like Conan the barbarian and Excalibur. He also admires Sam raimi and Tim Burton. I mean the whole setting of berserk is medieval Europe and got the idea of Gutz from a German Knight.

I guess I can see what you're saying, but I still think it's more Western than Japanese.

Also. That pic is hilarious, haha.

I honestly couldn't be more happy that the Japanese industry doesn't have as big of an impact as it used to. I feel like their decline has humbled them a bit, especially Sony. It was something that they badly needed. As much as I enjoy my Japanese games, I needed something different. Their style of storytelling, gameplay, was getting stale.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:09:07 pm by pirovash88 »
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 10:50:23 pm »
Yeah, I would say that Dark Souls and also Bloodborne are both very western influenced and even before that King's Field (which these games are all spiritual successors of both). But is that a bad thing?

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 12:56:25 am »
It's possibly a game design difference. Aesthetically yes for example the Souls games look like...Skyrim or whatever, maybe something like traditional Western fantasy modeled after Middle Ages, I don't know what the words are. and Bloodborne has this gothic vibe going on. However, I've seen some people say that certain elements of the way the Souls games are designed with regards to their gameplay mechanics make it "distinctly Japanese" , mentioned sometimes in tandem with its punishing difficulty. Which...I mean I don't know, I never paid too much attention to those because I was never much interested, but maybe it's that.

I think at least this year's TGS was distinctly better than the last one. It seems clear that Square has been plagued by hostile management what with FFXV's handling. And there are also their statements throughout the course of this year on how they plan to make room again for JRPGs and traditional console games, and the SaGa series may actually come back.

For a while now Bandai Namco (they even successfully launched a new multimedia franchise with God Eater! albeit in a popular genre) and Nintendo have been pretty consistent but this year other companies put up a strong showing beside them, like say...Sega.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 03:53:38 am »
Another lame Toyko Game show for me . Sad to see how much all of Japan have fallen behind their Western counterparts . But what goes around, comes around and Japan will no doubt have their time again
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 09:18:36 am »
I just wish the Dynasty Warrior games actually had... you know, an AI. Its like they use the same engine and skin it, resale, make profit.

What you're looking at is the higher difficulty levels, that being said the mainline Musou games and their licensed spinoffs are vastly different games.

I honestly couldn't be more happy that the Japanese industry doesn't have as big of an impact as it used to. I feel like their decline has humbled them a bit, especially Sony. It was something that they badly needed. As much as I enjoy my Japanese games, I needed something different. Their style of storytelling, gameplay, was getting stale.

You needed to play better Japanese games! For example, Yakuza.

Alas that's too late now.

In regards to being Japanese, you can share or even be inspired by English, American, German etc designs but still have a flavour that resonates more with the country of origins style than where you were inspired by. Think about shows that American television pick up that are based on English, French etc shows, whilst they have no doubt a lot of influence from the original media, they have very distinctive American designs.

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 01:38:08 pm »
I more or less agree with what Aki-At's saying.

And yes, try out Chaos difficulty! When I really got into DW5 and 6 that was the most fun, even if I mostly stuck to my preferred characters.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 02:41:31 pm »
Tokyo Game Show is over, some surprise announcements that came out during the last press day;

Final Fantasy Tech Demo presentation;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGYHpvvRHUA

Project Scissors, spiritual successor to Clock Tower for Vita/iOS/Android (Stop laughing, it sounds promising!)

Working on the project are game designer Hifumi Kouno (Clock Tower director), creature designer Masahiro Ito (Of Silent Hill fame, designed Pyramid Head and Bubblehead Nurses) and Takashi Shimizu (directed the Juon films).

Interviewer: The horror genre has changed a lot since the release of the original CT games. Has Kouno's opinion of how to make horror games also changed?

Kouno: Many recent games focus on action, and/or zombies. Others like FPS games try to be horror, but aren't. If Project Scissors isn't focused on being a real horror experience, there's no reason to make it.

As a fan of the original on the SNES, get hyped!

Overall brilliant showing, I think this has got to be the best showing from a press conference this year. I didn't think Gamescom was going to be topped but have to hand it to Tokyo Game Show. This event brought announcement after announcement, hopefully means Japan has got it's act together finally.

Now to wait and see if three of my anticipated games (Ryu Ga Gotoku Zero, Godzilla and Dragon Quest Heroes) get localised : (

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 04:47:42 pm »
interesting data from gaf

http://i.imgur.com/VEIPZ6M.jpg

Anyways as I said I'm quite satisfied with the show. Things will never be perfect. but they would be better if SEGA ever started localizing their games. All I know is I need a PS4 in 2015.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 10:29:52 pm »
Well, these are the games I would buy if they came to AMERICA:

• Dragon Quest Heroes (if they can bring the One Piece games, yes they can bring this)
  • Yakuza Zero
  • Metal Gear Solid V (A bit tired of MGS, but Big Boss games are usually good)
  • Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (Want more SEGA fighting games, love 2D games)
  • Guilty Gear Xrd (Can't believe its 3D, looks gorgeous)
  • Phantasy Star Nova
  • Persona 5
  • Fatal Frame: Nuregarasu no Miko

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 06:44:55 am »
Well, these are the games I would buy if they came to AMERICA:

• Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (Want more SEGA fighting games, love 2D games)
  • Guilty Gear Xrd (Can't believe its 3D, looks gorgeous)

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax I believe is in a similar position as Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was in how many licenses they'd need to obtain just to bring it over here. At the very least, Ecole Software/French-Bread's other fighter, Under Night in Birth ex-late, is scheduled to be released in America and Europe next year. And Guilty Gear Xrd is coming out later this year, there's just no American release date yet.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:48:11 am by Chaosmaster8753 »

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 08:40:21 am »
This TGS has started and ended really good. Lots of new announcements, previews, new builds and information regarding games that are coming in the end of the year and  2015.

Also, Japanese and World gaming's press representatives and gaming enthusiasts already have much expectations for this list of awarded games a.k.a "Best of TGS or Future CESA awards" that includes 2 Sega Games.
http://awards.cesa.or.jp/en/press/pdf/140921.pdf

Congrats to this event by make this last quarter of the year fantastic. :)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 09:08:07 am »
Another lame Toyko Game show for me . Sad to see how much all of Japan have fallen behind their Western counterparts . But what goes around, comes around and Japan will no doubt have their time again

Doubt it. I think japan has had its day. American development is defiantly peaking. I think its going to be a very long time until we see japanese development get to a strong position again. 20 years if at all.