Author Topic: Yo, what if Sega bought SNK Playmore?  (Read 8802 times)

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: Yo, what if Sega bought SNK Playmore?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 04:43:50 am »

@Storm: Did SNK actually formally announce they're just making Pachinko Machines and hentai games or whatever? I know they've been very quiet since KOF XIII but I thought that was them just being conservative with releases and riding on XIII's success for a while.

Yep! They have done a formal announcement last year...

It's hard to believe that SNK has gone... Japanese companies are dying everyday.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 05:55:11 am »
Yep! They have done a formal announcement last year...

It's hard to believe that SNK has gone... Japanese companies are dying everyday.

If it makes you feel any better...

European and American companies are dying everyday! EVERYONE'S DYING! INDUSTRY BURNING! BURN BABY BURN NA NA NAAAAAAAAA.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 09:02:52 am »
If it makes you feel any better...

European and American companies are dying everyday! EVERYONE'S DYING! INDUSTRY BURNING! BURN BABY BURN NA NA NAAAAAAAAA.

Oh no...someone better call the Burning Rangers!

BURNING RANGERS GO!
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 11:20:14 am »
Pretty sure, don't forget that while Acti has COD, which is massive, they don't really have much else at all. They have the occasional Blizzard release, but those are pretty irregular and only on PC. By comparison EA has regular releases of
Battlefield/Medal of Honor
FIFA (which is a juggernaut by itself)
Need for Speed
Various other EA sports titles (Tiger Woods etc).

Activision is really scraping around without COD, they have a few licensed titles like Family Guy and they used to have Star Wars but apart from that?

Well, let's take a look at the numbers, because impressions can be misleading.  I agree that the EA portfolio appears to be a lot more diversified and, frankly, more interesting than the Activision portfolio.  But the Blizzard factor is much more than an 'occasional' release... it's a constant, huge stream of revenue.  COD is in decline, but only a very gradual declline.  Most publishers would wish to have a 'disappointing' debut sales of 'only' 7.4 million, as Black Ops II just had.  Although it looks like EA is starting to turn things around, they have years of losses to make up for, and they aren't publicly stating what they big money burn is... we could speculate that it might be too much spent on marketing without enough return, overpaid execs, etc., but it's not something they have any interest in discussing with the public. 

The fact is that over the last four and a half years, EA has lost nearly as much money as Activision has made.  EA's losses total 2.145 billion, and Activisions profits total 2.411 billion.  Looking at the charts, we can surmise that both companies' accountants have different approaches to moving the numbers around within the fiscal year, with EA trying to show as much of a profit as possible in the final quarter, while Activision tries to show as little a profit as possible in the final quarter.  But the overall picture is clear.

Another way of comparing the companies is to look at their market capitalization, which is how analysts estimate the overall monetary value of a company -- influenced by their recent performance, but with a longer term view based on things like the value of their IPs.  EA's market cap is currently about $4.6 billion.  Activision's market cap is currently almost $13 billion.  For reference, Sega Sammy's market cap is just slightly less than EA's now, at about $4.5 billion.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 12:41:10 pm »
Sega was helping SNK after the fall of Aruze, but it was not really Sega who has managed to work with/help SNK, Dimps or Arc System Works... it was actually Sammy who has brought it all to Sega.

Sega had a policy to not make 2D fighting games, but they have released it all due to Sammy having already developed some titles on the Atomiswave era. Sammy have made a lot of deals with these companies before merging with Sega...so... Sega just ended up what Sammy has started.

Last year Sega gave(sold??) back the rights over the franchises Rumble Fish and Guilty Gear (and who knows which else...) to their respectives developers.

SNK has announced recently that they have quit with the developmente of new games. Oh, they are dead...

Well, SNK is not SNK since the koreans have bought them long time ago... Playmore is a korean company. They are only using the brand name "SNK" to appeal to the public.

Sadly, SNK has no future and would not help Sega on nothing.

If I had money and was Sega's owner, I would love to buy SNK though ;p

That be very hard to do considering Sammy OWNS RUMBLEFISH from the beginning, the rights just went to Sega. GG was never directly under Sega's control either and that still has its problems. The reason is that Sega doesn't want any of the Sammy properties and have treated them with contempt ever since they were forced to take them in.And Sammy isn't going to complain since Sega has plenty of video game titles/ franchises that sell better.  But selling ips to another company is another thing entirely and just wouldn't happen especially when Sammy controls the company overall.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »
Centrale: You might be right about Acti, and as Aki pointed out I completely forgot about Skylanders. It's just that I used to work in gaming retail a year ago or so and remember that the EA account manager had pointed out that they had overtaken Acti to the #1 spot (this was before Skylanders) but I can't remember in what way it was exactly (Profits/gross income/sales etc).

And STORM, do you have a link to SNK saying 'Nah son, we pachinko now'? because I swear I don't remember them ever saying anything like that. I know that KOF fans are still expecting a KOF 14 somewhere down the line. Or KOFXIII Ultimate Match or something.