Alien Storm
0 (0%)
Guardian Heroes
0 (0%)
Dynamite Cop
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 06, 2012, 03:48:04 pm

Author Topic: Favorite SEGA "Beat em up" Games  (Read 7214 times)

Offline stevetheman90

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
Re: Favorite SEGA "Beat em up" Games
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 04:37:19 pm »
@max_cady:

Die hard arcade is the prequel to Dynamite Cop, you should vote so the Dynamite Cop series wins!!! ;D I agree the game is just so much fun, not much to say.

http://segaretro.org/Dynamite_Cop
http://segaretro.org/Die_Hard_Arcade

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 06:02:11 pm »
Die Hard Arcade also had a kickass last boss.
http://segabits.com/blog/2011/01/31/the-last-boss-white-fang/

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 11:36:43 am »
I disagree. Guardian Heroes is a beat em up with RPG elements. It counts. The beat em up element of the game is so strong that it makes it a beat em up.

Virtua Fighter is NOT a beat em up because you face ONE opponent at a time and you don't progress through a stage. It may have the fighting element of a beat em up, but it does not have any of the other elements that makes a beat em up a beat em up. (thank god for copy/paste, I can't type beat em up each time I say it).

I do agree thought that RGG/Yakuza is not a beat em up. It has elements of it, but there is a LOT more to the game then just that aspect. Action-adventure would be the proper classification.
GH characters all have weapons in the game so you may as well call it a hack and slash rather than a beat em up so you mauy as well discount Golden Axe as well. Sega and Treasure both call it a RPG abeilt an action based one. That discounts it as being a pure beat em up. Which i may add  using that logic about VF you might as well discount all of the dynamite deka games since you can pick up a gun in any of the games which would briefly turn it into a third person shooter.
In VF you kick and punch. In SOR you kick and punch. The last time i checked that's the pure essence of what a beat em up is meant to be since that's all it is. Anything else added discounts it.

ROJM you have a fine argument but I am going to have to disagree. (Note: Regardless to you, I, or what anyone else says we are all entitled to our opinions on games, and we as human’s can perceive things differently.) First thing I will like to address is the author of this post said, if he didn’t include the game you wanted/like, include it yourself and state why you like it, after all not everyone has complete knowledge of every game Sega conceived.

I do. Just about. That's why i said it.

Next I have to go with the majority on Guardian Heroes being a beat em up, yes it contains a large amount RPG elements, but its core physics and design strongly reflected what is considered a beat em up. A good comparison to this argument can be found in music, there can be a fusion amongst genre’s mixing two styles to make a new style that can  be considered both styles at the same time regardless if it added or reduced instruments, timbres etc; this can apply to video games as well since they are both creative arts. There is nothing wrong with genre mixing and a work of art’s genre’s can be considered two or more things at once. Lastly I will have to agree with Barry; there is no arguing that Virtua Fighter is not a beat em up and is in fact a fighter, I just can’t see any dispute about this. Finally as a future educator and historian I find it necessary cite some sources to help my argument. I recommend you to take a look and see what they have to say. In conclusion, I am not here to change your mind , force an idea on to you or troll you; you are a free being a can think and feel how you desire, but just take a look into what I say and maybe you might be able to agree.
Sigh if you going to site sources don't use one of the most unreliable sources of information on the net. Wikipedia is not and never will be a credible source.

Since we are using Sega as a source...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWMEJr2-Ke8
Check what it says at the end.

Not beat em up but RPG.

Note: These links all hold relevance to our conversation, they are in agreement with the points I made and as public encyclopedias show what the common people classify these games as.
Note: Beat em up and brawler are considered the same genre.
No they don't actually.
 It being VF and "fighting games"  ::) will always and will always be part of the beat em up genre which by definition has grown various sub genres down the years. The traditional side scrolling beat em up, hack and slash, which has grown into its own genre now, the one on one versus beat em up now called fighting, ::) the melee brawlers which is a combination of the two but with many fighters in one arena and so on IE Anarchy Reigns etc. GH does not and will not be part of that genre. You can argue blue in the face but i'm not going to really accept a topic that puts down GH as a beat em up and omits VF with other people saying it isn't one so can't be included. This is the problem with things like this and wiki or any other so called Sega reference sites, its written by people after the fact or too young to remember the actual definitions of video game terms of that particular period when the game was released in and then decide years later to write about some game and labeling it in a genre the company or anyone else at the time never selected it in. This is really nothing about opinion but correctly identifying what that game is and where it belongs to. The fact that we have people calling RGG/Yakuza an RPG in a topic long past and now in this topic, a beat em up without having a clue that its part of the arcade adventure genre which many people not only didn't know what it was but defined it wrong is staggering beyond belief. And now this debacle. It verges on the ridiculous.
Debate is one thing but when people start passing it off as a historical fact and then publishes it one whatever for other people who don't know better and then starts to believe it is where i have a real problem with. 

Offline stevetheman90

• Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »
I was not trying to change your mind, that's not my job and nor dose it matter. I just wanted to show why we who disagree with you. 

Offline ROJM

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 02:05:12 pm »
I was not trying to change your mind, that's not my job and nor dose it matter. I just wanted to show why we who disagree with you.

Its kinda hard to dispute it when the game which genre you are disputing is classified by the very company that released the game. Anyway goodluck on your quest to become a sega historian.

BOT,Other honorable mentions...

Arabian Fight
Memorable for its use of scaling,has all the key elements that was typical for a Sega side scrolling beat em up,two guys and a girl, its magic melee attacks etc. Unique in western arcades because it was very obvious anime/manga looking which a lot of arcade or other video games that was localized
in for the west at the time weren't (or toned that art style down in some cases.)

DD Crew.
SOR is remembered for being Sega's answer to Capcom's Final Fight, but in fact SOR was actually Sega's second attempt to challenge (or third but i won't mention that game) at the, time the crown of Capcom's ultimate side scrolling beat em up.

The first was DD Crew which was more or less a clone of FF. The sprites while designed to be different to Capcom's game was in style exactly like it, including the sounds from the various fighters. Like FF and SOR the game ends in a final showdown in a corporate high tower with a similar looking villian.

Dynamite Dux
A game that at first glance looks like its going to be a platformer until you play it and quickly becomes an enjoyable romp of punching,kicking and blowing up other cute type enemy sprites. No title like it has been made since and shows why Sega is a unique company for even having an idea to create a game like this.

Spider man the video game
Looking at Sega west's recent Marvel titles you wonder how the hell they fracked up the way they did on those games when they had at one point made some of the best marvel video games. In the early nineties Sega's first deal with marvel became one of the best use of the marvel license with Sega of America's Spider Man vs Kingpin and Xmen 2 Clone wars being the high points. Not to miss out on the fun, Sega Japan did an arcade version of the Spider man license, a 4 player side scrolling beat em up with platform elements. The game's visual style imitating the look of a comic book complete with speech bubbles with villians ranging from Doctor doom to the hobgoblin. Often overlooked but a good example on what Sega japan can do with an american based concept. It was too bad  that they weren't involved in doing some of the marvel movie games,who knows what could have been.

Cyborg Justice
Before Ecco, Novatrade came out with this game in which the player constructed or customized their robot which they went on to fight other enemy robots in a series of one on one encounters before you reach the end of the level and fight the boss to get to the next stage. Good idea to combine the side scrolling style of beat em ups to the versus style of beat em ups. Often overlooked sadly.

Comix Zone
Surprised this was never mentioned by anyone let alone included on the list...actually i'm not.
Comix Zone, bar none the best western made Sega beat em up. A game set inside a comic book who then must see the hero fight his way out of it. The use of graphics to portray the comic book style was more effective than what Sega japan did with Spider Man as well as the fact that the game sees you fighting with enemy sprites inside actual comic panels with the main boss drawing in new enemy sprites for you to fight against. Original idea, great use of execution and solid gameplay. One of Sega west IPs that deserve a sequel rather than seeing it get ported or included on numerous collections. 

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 02:23:21 pm »
I'll say it again: Guardian Heroes is a beat em up with RPG elements. It's part brawler, part RPG. FACT. Hack and slash? Sure, that too. Some characters fight with fists, some use melee weapons. So what if a Japanese advert throws up the term "RPG" at the end and failed to mention "brawler". Did Japanese adverts proclaim "beat em up" or "brawler" at the end of commercials for Streets of Rage? Was there even a term for it back then? I'm not arguing that it doesn't have RPG elements, it makes sense that they'd push the RPG aspect in Japan given that the genre is so popular over there. But you can't deny that it is also classified as a beat em up or brawler. Since we're using official sources, I offer up this:

Check out that description: "An Action RPG Brawler where you create your own adventure!"

And before you jump in and say "ah ha!" now you're saying "brawler" instead of "beat em up", but deal. It's the same idea. You progress through the stage, fight hordes of enemies to get to the next section. You're beating up and/or your hack and slashing. You're brawling. But then you're collecting goodies and leveling up, thus the RPG elements. Thus: Action RPG Brawler. Thus, it fits in with this poll which was the original intent of this thread.

----

Re-reading your post, it seems you think that any brawler must maintain the fisticuffs-only rule, otherwise it diverts and suddenly becomes of another genre and thus doesn't count? So playing as Ginjirou Ibushi makes it a beat em up action rpg, but as soon as you play as Han it's a hack and slash action RPG and the beat em up element goes out the window? Or if playing Dynamite Cop and you never use a weapon, the game is a beat em up, but as soon as you pick up a gun it can't be classed as a beat em up anymore because it became a third person shooter?

That's pretty fricken picky. By that logic, no game can ever be classed under one genre because it (god forbid) borrows elements from other genres. So only Streets of Rage deserves to be on this poll?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:39:31 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 04:05:12 pm »
Are we really going to ruin this thread by arguing over the difference between a beat em up and hack and slash?

Offline ROJM

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 10:08:02 am »

And you just destroyed your own argument.Using your own words not mine.

I'll say it again: Guardian Heroes is a beat em up with RPG elements. It's part brawler, part RPG.

So you accept its an RPG. Then.  ::)

An Action RPG Brawler where you create your own adventure!"

And before you jump in and say "ah ha!"

Aha. Offical description from the game as it was when the game was released is RPG. Key words RPG. not beat em up. Which is what you said again?
I disagree. Guardian Heroes is a beat em up with RPG elements. It counts. The beat em up element of the game is so strong that it makes it a beat em up.
Its clear that you are advocating it as a beat em up with that statement. Fact Sega describes it mainly as an RPG. An action RPG. That's the main genre the company officially identifies the game in. The  marketing of its original release was also using that description. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its not true. It isn't a beat em up, end of.

That's pretty fricken picky. By that logic, no game can ever be classed under one genre because it (god forbid) borrows elements from other genres. So only Streets of Rage deserves to be on this poll?
Do you actually read any of your posts back? i'm not the one making stupid statements of VF not being a beat em up just because its not a side scroller beat em up while advocating games that clearly isn't a pure beat em up.

Virtua Fighter is NOT a beat em up because you face ONE opponent at a time and you don't progress through a stage. It may have the fighting element of a beat em up, but it does not have any of the other elements that makes a beat em up a beat em up.
And you're calling me picky.  ::)

Sorry, but Mademan is right, this is just getting really fucking stupid. I forgot that you're all about the back and forth pick apart what the other person said arguments. I said Guardian Heroes is a beat em up with RPG elements from the very beginning. It is a beat em up, thus it is a brawler, and thus it fits with the other games in this poll. Now you want to try and make it seem that I never accepted that it has RPG elements? Stop derailing the topic and creating arguments where they never existed.

Back on topic, no more of this nonsense. Any more on this will be deleted.

Apart from the fact that i did go back on topic, it was you who kept going on. And really you should read before you post. Calling something a beat em up when the game has never been called that by the people who made it and then trying to cover your tracks by saying its an RPG when you obviously don't think of it as being one. So don't bother trying to blame me for something that you yourself are guilty of or threaten me because you clearly lost the argument. Grow up for god's sake. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:31:56 am by ROJM »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 10:22:27 am »
Sorry, but Mademan is right, this is just getting really fucking stupid. I forgot that you're all about the back and forth pick apart what the other person said arguments. I said Guardian Heroes is a beat em up with RPG elements from the very beginning. It is a beat em up, thus it is a brawler, and thus it fits with the other games in this poll. That's all I wanted to say from the beginning. But now you want to try and make it seem that I never accepted that it has RPG elements? Or that it is just an RPG? Stop derailing the topic and creating arguments where they never existed.

Back on topic, no more of this nonsense. Any more on this will be deleted. If you'd like to create a NEW topic to discuss if GH is an RPG, a brawler or (gasp!) games are able to fit into more than one genre at once (!!!), please do so, but I'm not going to waste anymore time talking about it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:24:56 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 02:45:29 pm »
I'm right there with Barry.
Pegging games into specific genres doesn't really make sense all the time.
Why can't Guardian Heroes be a beat 'em up And an RPG?
Mass Effect 2's a shooter And an RPG.

You could say the Yakuza games are RPGs with a beat 'em up for a battle system.

I don't think I've seen Madworld mentioned yet, but that was a really solid 3D beat 'em up from SEGA :).

Offline loempiavreter

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 08:48:40 pm »
I use japanese definition, Belt Scroll Game most of the time, a lot more specific.

Either way, pure by belt scroll defination:

1. Bare Knuckle II
2. Dynamite Deka (It's sequel doesn't belt scroll...)
3. Bare Knuckle III
4. Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
5. Golden Axe (arcade)

Taking beat'em up as a genre where you beat thugs & other trash up in the street it would look more like this:

1. Bare Knuckle II
2. Zombie Revenge
3. Dynamite deka
4. Bare Knuckle III
5. Spikeout Final Edition
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:52:54 pm by loempiavreter »