Author Topic: Yakuza 5 heading West.  (Read 23417 times)

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
Re: Yakuza 5 heading West.
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 12:40:44 pm »
One thing for sure, this game will need the same push that had VC last month.

It's not gonna be the same situation and price but at least something similar if we really want Y0 in the West.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 01:55:41 pm »
One thing for sure, this game will need the same push that had VC last month.

It's not gonna be the same situation and price but at least something similar if we really want Y0 in the West.

Agreed, the fact that the fan effort during the campaign actually got the attention of Sony should be a good sign/first step, fans AND SEGA need to continue pushing to create awareness/interest if they want this to succeed even with Sony handling this.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 03:05:03 pm »
Either way it's good to see the series has another chance, perhaps it's last one. Hopefully it gets some good marketing behind it now that Sony is more involved.

Not going to happen This will be lucky to sell in any great numbers really . Nice to see it coming to the west, but its too late in the PS3 lifespan to make any major impact and you can bet in a few months time this will be given away free to PS+ users - which may make it see many new users come to the series. 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 05:10:02 pm »
Agreed, the fact that the fan effort during the campaign actually got the attention of Sony should be a good sign/first step, fans AND SEGA need to continue pushing to create awareness/interest if they want this to succeed even with Sony handling this.
There was a Yakuza 5 campaign? Because this is from Sony's Gio Corsi holding his own campaign in which he asked people on Twitter what games they'd want localized or on Playstation systems.

Speaking of which, someone on GAF met him at the Playstation Experience, and apparently the game that got the most requests was Shenmue. However, there are a lot of issues preventing it from being released.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 06:01:25 pm »
Imagine it has to be the licensed tech SEGA used to produce the game with.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 06:57:55 pm »
There was a Yakuza 5 campaign? Because this is from Sony's Gio Corsi holding his own campaign in which he asked people on Twitter what games they'd want localized or on Playstation systems.

Speaking of which, someone on GAF met him at the Playstation Experience, and apparently the game that got the most requests was Shenmue. However, there are a lot of issues preventing it from being released.

I should have been clearer, I was referring to Sony's Build the List campaign and Adam Boyes mentioning Yakuza as one of the top requested titles when he commented on the campaign last year.  Of course, Shenmue was also mentioned (along with FF Type-0) so it's not surprising.

Not surprising to hear about the restriction issues however...didn't one of the companies who created the technology close down? causing a lot of legal red tape?

Personally I'd argue if Sony could fund a David Cage project, Shenmue isn't TOO farfetched...but then again neither of those projects had the bombing stigmata that Shenmue carries.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 02:49:44 am »

I don't think there's ever been any sort of concerted campaign. There's a looser one sort of in this NeoGAF thread but that was just a collection of people hoping for Yakuza 5 and just posting whenever related news would come up. Beyond that you have other stray stuff like people in the official SEGA forums making petitions for Yakuza 5's localization.

In any case SuperSonicEX is probably just talking about fans seizing the opportunity (buildingthelist) to make themselves heard. The timing was such that lots of people were pissed but hadn't quite given up. Leading up to that we also had stray gaming media writers asking for Yakuza 5's localization.

edit: whaaaat...I missed the above post. :X
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 05:58:11 am »
In the beginning of SEGA 3rd party life, we saw the console holders supporting SEGA, then we had Sammy backing things, but then they also backed out. Come on Nagoshi, remove your pride and let Sony help you in the west!

That's not true..most of them backed out in the west because Sega didn't perform the way they wanted to. And in reality it was really one who backed out..Microsoft. Sony decided to market Sega games and tie them to an exclusive deal for the next big games because Sega games sold strong on Sony in japan.Nintendo did the same but with Sonic and a few other titles because Sega sold strongh on nintendo. Microsoft didn't. It had to take SOA under Jeffery to position Sega as a strong third party..which they managed to do..until things got messed up again..mainly towards the end of the last cycle and the mass cancellation. If things went correctly they would have been in a more solid position with the console manufacturers in carrying more big game exclusives.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 06:12:27 am »
Like Aki, I do wonder how much Sega lobbied for this. I think it's a interesting move on Sega's part and I wonder if we can expect more. Valkyrie and Yakuza represent a trend, or if they're unrelated to one another

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 06:25:00 am »
Like Aki, I do wonder how much Sega lobbied for this. I think it's a interesting move on Sega's part and I wonder if we can expect more. Valkyrie and Yakuza represent a trend, or if they're unrelated to one another

Not much I would bet, but there's always a small core of people inside the group that will really push for moves like to happen (like with Outrun 2) . I wouldn't say it's a trend, just that people have really pushed for it and its suits SONY to have more content on PSN.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 09:29:55 am »
Unrelated..its just coincidence..but we don't know if Y5 will sell well on PSN...I wouldn't be suprised if this is also available for Japan as well..which to me would explain Sony helping Sega with the translation. Sega did release VANQUISH on PSN before so its nothing really new..

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 11:59:17 am »

Offline Centrale

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 01:35:53 pm »
Is that a hack?! 8|

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2014, 03:20:41 pm »
Yes it is a hack.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2014, 07:06:55 pm »
Yeah, they hacked a put in Haruka/the T-Set girls in the place of Kiryu, Saejima etc, it's a funny watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV9RrdIUpTI

That's not even the best one though. What happens when you replace Haruka's model with the other cast members of Yakuza 5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbE43fdr6lA