Author Topic: What Books are you reading?  (Read 46161 times)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: What Books are you reading?
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2012, 01:28:12 pm »
@Barry:
I've been a Tintin fan since watching the animated series in the early 90's. I still have a Tintin collectible plate from a family trip to Belgium when I was 8.
I'm even playing through the game right now with my girlfriend. (Not the best game in the world, but pretty fun.)

I haven't picked up any of the books, but I've been planning on buying the French copies to work on my French.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2013, 04:32:27 am »
Watch this. Bam, bumpin'

I have been reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. HBO will be making a TV show, so why not get it out of the way before everyone starts talking about it?

Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite comic book writers, why I haven't read any of his novels is beyond me. Though, I got to say, his novels are very... comicish, so I love it.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2013, 09:52:58 am »
Bought "Perks of being a Wallflower"

Seeing how accurate this is to me.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2013, 10:19:31 am »
Thought I'd re-read Michael Crichton's Sphere. Damn good book.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2013, 12:00:49 pm »
Reading: What To Expect When You're Expecting - No joke, my wife is due in like 7 weeks, gotta be ready, haha.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2013, 09:16:28 pm »
CONGRATS, SIR! *hands you a cigar*
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline max_cady

« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2013, 12:54:47 pm »
The Art of War - Sun Tzu

Sun Tzu would be the best CEO ever...

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2013, 11:13:04 am »
CONGRATS, SIR! *hands you a cigar*

Thanks dude, my boss gave me a cigar too, haha.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »
gonna be doing some "light reading" later tonight

LOL

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2013, 10:33:58 pm »
I'm reading "comics" like always: Ten Grand is so fucking good.

First issue has a big 'Hellblazer' vibe to it. Basically its a dude that worked for the mob, fell in love with a girl. Said he was doing one last job, he has to kill some 'enforcer, just like him'. When he finds the dude, he summoning some demons, the demons chase him and kill/torture him and his girlfriend. She goes to heaven, he is going to be sent to hell forever, but an angel makes a deal with him. Do enough work for his sins, he will be let into heaven..

In the first issue some girl comes to him with a job, there is a satanic cult and her sister is invovled. He now takes work of people 'in the streets'. 10 grand he charges because (its not alot of money, but just enough to get the no serious people out). The guy that runs this 'Satanic cult' is the dude that killed him and his wife.

Pretty good start.

Also finished American Gods, so now I'm reading 'The Blade Itself' (this is the fantasy book, not the crime thriller), book one in the 'First Law' trilogy. So far into the book, they just introduced like 3 of the main characters. The first one is Logen Ninefingers which seems like the typical viking warrior type. In the start of the book he is being hunted by 'flatheads' whatever they are, he falls into a river with one, barely survives. His 'group' was separated. Later he ends up in his village which has been burnt down by King Bethod, who his group used to serve. He backstabbed them and burnt their village. The second character is a Sand dan Glokta who is a crippled, fucked up Inquisitor working for the union. He has to 'get the truth' out of people that break kings law. Though, they are 'corrupt' of sorts, since merchants and guilds with big bucks pay them off.  Glokta is at the age where he doesn't give a shit and starts going after guilds to make examples, the leader of the Inquistor gets complaints about him and tasks him to go after the 'riches' of the guilds. His past is cool, in a war he was captured and tortured for 2 years, when he got let go (everyone else that was held captive died) they didn't think he was going to walk. After he hospitalized and came back he decided he wanted to be a Inquistor and do what people did to him.

The last guy is Jezal dan Luthar who is noble and rich. He rather flirt with girls, drink wine and gamble than train. But it seems he is going to be in a tournament in 4 weeks and is being trained in the start of his chapter, even though he doesn't seem to be into it.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2013, 09:49:09 pm »
Speak, Memory by Nabokov. Easily one of the best authors of the last century. Very bizarre man.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2013, 05:37:19 pm »
Just finished World War Z by Max Brooks.

I have to admit, after the movie, I was only morbidly curious about the novel. Turns out, it's actually pretty good. A smartly written fictionial post-war documentary with 1st hand accounts through all of the events of the major war. A real fun read, I must say.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2013, 02:08:53 am »
Just finished re-reading Weaveworld, the new limited 25th Anniversary Edition for my podcast. 

Offline max_cady

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2013, 01:12:14 pm »
The Call of Cthullu by HP Lovecraft. Damn good short story.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2013, 07:28:48 pm »
Been reading this:

Really an awesome book. Takes tidbits of Scrooge's past from the original 70 Uncle Scrooge comics and tells a complete life story.