Author Topic: New Star Wars trailer...  (Read 46411 times)

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: New Star Wars trailer...
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2014, 12:51:19 pm »
ROMJ seems to be assuming that the GAR was the only army in the entire republic that was fighting the separatists. This is an assumption completely destroyed by the first season of the clone wars alone.

Edit: I also love that we're going back to using non canon RPG books now for sources.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:10:30 pm by JRcade19 »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2014, 01:50:44 pm »
ROMJ seems to be assuming that the GAR was the only army in the entire republic that was fighting the separatists. This is an assumption completely destroyed by the first season of the clone wars alone.

Edit: I also love that we're going back to using non canon RPG books now for sources.

And again you prove your stupidity because i clearly STATED remove the EU stuff and you still have the same plot hole.God what an simpleton you really are....

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2014, 02:05:10 pm »
Yay insults. Because nothing says "I'm confident in the strength of my argument" more than calling my opponent names.

Just because the republic didn't have an army until the clone wars didn't mean there was no armed resistance to the separatists on invaded worlds. Both the twileks of Ryloth and the armies of Christosphis(which were more or less human) resisted droid invasions with native armies. The former didn't get any help until a senator from the planet begged the republic, and the latter until they contacted the republic themselves.

This is not even getting into respective war strategies from each side and their effectiveness.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2014, 02:16:36 pm »
Yay insults. Because nothing says "I'm confident in the strength of my argument" more than calling my opponent names.

I'm calling it as i see it because you are too ignorant to SEE there is a plot hole and then try to insult me with you're nonsense on numourous occassions..and even trying to make out i'm using EU stuff to back me up when i clearly said ot wasnt

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2014, 02:47:40 pm »
Because you've made extraordinary claims and have not provided extraordinary evidence.

You have still for example, not answered my question as to why the Empire would need to maintain a militant presence in the majority of the galaxy, let alone a ground presence when they have multiple methods of gathering information, as opposed to simply deploying the imperial navy/army when needed post intelligence gathering.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2014, 04:51:18 pm »
Stop calling people "stupid" in a debate. No personal attacks.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2014, 06:37:39 am »
Because you've made extraordinary claims and have not provided extraordinary evidence.

You have still for example, not answered my question as to why the Empire would need to maintain a militant presence in the majority of the galaxy, let alone a ground presence when they have multiple methods of gathering information, as opposed to simply deploying the imperial navy/army when needed post intelligence gathering.

Oh i dunNo because the Emperor WANTED total control? Wasn't that the point of the Death Star to maintain control and bully the other systems in applying to the will of the empire as stated in the original film? Isn't that the purpose of the clones in the prequels? Considering how big a galaxy is you need numourous numbers of clones to enforce any type of edict if you are going to turn it from a republic into a empire..its just common sense.
Lucas screwed things up when he used the clones gave various numbers and THEN in the special editions which are still being used as canon that the Storm Troopers are clones..since the actor who played the clones and their original template Jango Fett voiced all the storm troopers in these editions..which are curently the only version of the films peole can get now..Now that they have reverted back...to the original concept they still have to cvlear up the frigging mess created.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2014, 09:07:08 am »
Anyway... we have character names!

BB-8 works very well. Rolls off the tongue just like "Artoo" or "Threepio". Wouldn't be surprised if "Beebee" is what they call it, and I wonder if it will lean female in its droid gender? Ball, Ball, shaped like an eight. Cool.

Poe Dameron is my least favorite, mostly because Poe is such a silly first name. Po without the "e" is actually a Star Wars EU first name, which looks a bit better than Poe despite the same pronunciation. Dameron is cool, though not sure if it is dam-er-en or dah-more-in. Shame that in earlier leaks had Poe Darklighter as a potential name.

Kylo Ren is great! Then again, it is just an existing EU name with one letter replaced. Kybo Ren was the space pirate enemy in Droids. Wonder if there is any relation? I recall Ben Burtt cameos in TPM as a background character who was later given the surname Baobab, another Droids reference. The prequels were also loaded with Droids elements, like the diner and the wheelbike and the podrace.

Rey is a pretty short name. Must be either a Skywalker or Solo. Also, wonder if Rey is short for something or a codename as a throwback to Ben? Ooh! Or what if Rey is related to Kenobi somehow?

I like Finn. Fuck Adventure Time, it is not the first thing I thought of. I actually thought of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Like Rey, I wonder if the lack of last name is because he has some important relation? Fans have been throwing about the black characters like Calrissian or Windu, but I wonder if they will throw us a curveball and have him be related to a white character?

The other three cards just reveal that Stormtroopers are still called Stormtroopers, X-Wings are X-Wings, and The Millennium Falcon is still, well, you get it. I kinda sorta wish they had different names for the X-Wings given they are slightly different models, but maybe there is an in-universe name for them, like X-Wing Mark III or something.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:21:09 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2014, 10:05:22 am »
BB-8 is Ballin' /rimshot

Kylo and Rey are fine with me, but I don't like Finn or Poe as names. The X-wings will realistically probably be named a "Mark" something or other.

Oh i dunNo because the Emperor WANTED total control? Wasn't that the point of the Death Star to maintain control and bully the other systems in applying to the will of the empire as stated in the original film? Isn't that the purpose of the clones in the prequels? Considering how big a galaxy is you need numourous numbers of clones to enforce any type of edict if you are going to turn it from a republic into a empire..its just common sense.
Lucas screwed things up when he used the clones gave various numbers and THEN in the special editions which are still being used as canon that the Storm Troopers are clones..since the actor who played the clones and their original template Jango Fett voiced all the storm troopers in these editions..which are curently the only version of the films peole can get now..Now that they have reverted back...to the original concept they still have to cvlear up the frigging mess created.

People weren't afraid of the death star because it had stormtroopers. People were afraid of the death star because it could blow up planets. This is an argument in my favor, as discussed a page or two back. The US military isn't the top ranking Global military because it has the most troops. Any sufficiently advanced war capable technology reduces the need for an available land force and subsequently reduces the need for deploy-able troops as such efficiency increases.

Your second point is a good one, if Lucas was still the go to person for all things canon. He isn't. Let us explore this. Which is actual canon? The original, or special edition? There was an essay written on canonwars that concluded that the Special edition was the true canon, but like this, it based its argument on the fact that Lucas was head honcho. So how do we now determine what is canon?

Simple. Whatever the Lucasfilm Story group says or otherwise approves as they are in charge of the canon now and they had this to say.
He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.

Which means that every story going forward will have to consistent with the events in these properties.
So have we received any media to indicate either the original or special edition as canon? Yes we have: Star wars Rebels.

Storm troopers have differing voices. Lining up with the original films.
Imperial Academies on Lothal and Mandalore train young cadets to fill the roles of various imperial personnel, most commonly storm troopers. Lining up with the differing voices.
There was even at least one part in the original trilogy, even in the special edition(ROTJ) where the stormtroopers were different heights, something that didn't happen with clone troopers.

Even without such things, if the prequels were GL's "Original Vision", then the prequels would have been made to maintain continuity from the originals and the originals would have been produced with the prequels in mind. Instead what we got was GL rushing to change the originals to fit the prequels, a move that made him more of a laughing stock than he already was.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:08:05 am by JRcade19 »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2014, 01:08:46 pm »
BB-8 is Ballin' /rimshot

Kylo and Rey are fine with me, but I don't like Finn or Poe as names. The X-wings will realistically probably be named a "Mark" something or other.

People weren't afraid of the death star because it had stormtroopers. People were afraid of the death star because it could blow up planets. This is an argument in my favor, as discussed a page or two back. The US military isn't the top ranking Global military because it has the most troops. Any sufficiently advanced war capable technology reduces the need for an available land force and subsequently reduces the need for deploy-able troops as such efficiency increases.

Your second point is a good one, if Lucas was still the go to person for all things canon. He isn't. Let us explore this. Which is actual canon? The original, or special edition? There was an essay written on canonwars that concluded that the Special edition was the true canon, but like this, it based its argument on the fact that Lucas was head honcho. So how do we now determine what is canon?

Simple. Whatever the Lucasfilm Story group says or otherwise approves as they are in charge of the canon now and they had this to say.
Which means that every story going forward will have to consistent with the events in these properties.
So have we received any media to indicate either the original or special edition as canon? Yes we have: Star wars Rebels.

Storm troopers have differing voices. Lining up with the original films.
Imperial Academies on Lothal and Mandalore train young cadets to fill the roles of various imperial personnel, most commonly storm troopers. Lining up with the differing voices.
There was even at least one part in the original trilogy, even in the special edition(ROTJ) where the stormtroopers were different heights, something that didn't happen with clone troopers.

Even without such things, if the prequels were GL's "Original Vision", then the prequels would have been made to maintain continuity from the originals and the originals would have been produced with the prequels in mind. Instead what we got was GL rushing to change the originals to fit the prequels, a move that made him more of a laughing stock than he already was.

I never SAID the systems were afraid of the storm troopers. Can't you fucking read you idiot?! And then wonder why i get frustrated. The emperor wanted TOTAL control so he needed a large army to maintain and enforce control. The death star star was the back up of that agenda. Geez you obviously the film properly.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2014, 02:22:58 pm »
A Large army was never in debate. It was how large the army needed to be. There are 2 contentions:

1) Your assertion that the army needed to be in the trillions. A number that was never supported outside of your personal belief.
and
2) That the stormtroopers were clones by the time of the galactic civil war. Something which, again isn't supported by canonical evidence. Evidence has strongly stated the opposite, that the clone troopers from the clone wars were phased out in favor of recruitment/conscription. Humans are plentiful enough in the star wars universe as demonstrated by the movies.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:26:54 pm by JRcade19 »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2014, 04:10:52 pm »
Can't you fucking read you idiot?!

This sort of thing right here needs to stop now. Debate, but stop with the insults. One more will result in a temporary ban. That goes for anybody in this discussion too.

Offline JohnOfRage

• Total Meseta: 2
  • "Bare Knuckle"
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2014, 11:08:45 am »
That sword looks so crazy. Cant really tell tho trailer didn't give much for me to go off of in my opinion. i hope its good tho  ;-D   

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2014, 06:44:35 pm »
Finn is such a cracker name for such a ghetto fella
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2014, 08:15:10 am »
Finn is such a cracker name for such a ghetto fella

They named him Finn because they wanted the whitest name possible to avoid giving him something 'too black' that would be misconstrued as racist.