Author Topic: I can't belive how retarded our government is  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
I can't belive how retarded our government is
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:54:15 pm »
SOPA is being voted on right now, and it's likely to pass.

This just upsets me so much, Internet is ruined if it passes, I'm gonna have to find a new career to chase, because no one besides big corporations will need websites. worst of all.. all online communities will be destroyed

Why isn't SOPA being plastered allover news sites like occupy wallstreet was? It's like the government is blacking out the news from appearing anywhere.

more info:
http://americancensorship.org/

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: I can't belive how retarded our government is
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:00:43 pm »
This just upsets me so much, Internet is ruined if it passes, I'm gonna have to find a new career to chase, because no one besides big corporations will need websites. worst of all.. all online communities will be destroyed

So you mean no more Americans on my internets? No more Shadowlegend arguing with me about Bayonetta, Yakuza and Binary Domain?! Fine by me bro, fine by me.

Seriously speaking, sorry to hear that, but the Obama adminstration has been terrible, continuing the fine work Bush has done to ruin the United States. And worst bit is most I do not see the current Republican candidates as anything better. I'd just recommend emigrating. Do not fret too much about your career, there are plenty of other countries which require web design, not just America.

And yes Shadowlegend, I was joking earlier too... Maybe.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:05:33 pm »
Yeah, true. I could always move to the UK, but more countries are likely to implement similar rules if the US does =(

according to the site i linked to in the first post, it says people who don't live in the US can help, scroll down to the header that says:

Not in the us? Petition the state department
The US state department constantly speaks out against internet censorship in other countries. Pressure them to speak out against America’s new domestic censorship system.

and enter your email. Simple enough.. =)

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:50:14 pm »
The senate just passed NDAA, now any US citizen can be detained by the US Army for as long as they feel like without a reason

Obama can still Veto it.. hope he does.. god the US senate / congress whatever they are called are incredibly retarded recently

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:58:34 pm »
Wassup with the fucked up laws they be passing around in the states.

And how is SOPA going to destroy the internet? I keep reading people talking about this, but I don't think I fully understand the law
SEG4GES

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 04:02:15 pm »
Wassup with the fucked up laws they be passing around in the states.

And how is SOPA going to destroy the internet? I keep reading people talking about this, but I don't think I fully understand the law

here, check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxPQ320jBLc

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 05:09:37 pm »
It's the thing that I never quite understood about this bill...

Why would websites even put unlicensed stuff online?

I mean, Youtube has a ton of stuff in which movie studios and TV shows can delete videos in less than 15 minutes, so how is this a problem?

And a thing that nobody is asking is: what exactly is the criteria for being flagged or blacklisted?

It's just not pratical...

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 05:35:57 pm »
It's the thing that I never quite understood about this bill...

Why would websites even put unlicensed stuff online?

I mean, Youtube has a ton of stuff in which movie studios and TV shows can delete videos in less than 15 minutes, so how is this a problem?

And a thing that nobody is asking is: what exactly is the criteria for being flagged or blacklisted?

It's just not pratical...

That's just it. It's not practical. All forms of community sites will be black listed or shut down if they are based in the US. I think there is a bigger motive then piracy behind this... unless our government is really that ignorant to technology.. then again.. its a bunch of old men, so i guess that wouldn't surprise me.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 05:42:45 pm »
Then let's say that all community based websites simply moved to UK servers to avoid any wrongdoing... It would making this bill completely worthless and moot.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 05:48:12 pm »
Then let's say that all community based websites simply moved to UK servers to avoid any wrongdoing... It would making this bill completely worthless and moot.

Yeah, but they would probably still be blacklisted in the US. The SOPA bill includes a firewall, like China has. But the government can also shutdown sites if they are based in the US.

It's all just so messy.

Offline SEGA_Portuguese

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 02:17:40 pm »
what do you guys think about this?

http://www.destructoid.com/sega-sopa-is-generally-caused-by-bad-installs-junk-data-219572.phtml?s=50#comments

I have a question: Sterling said something against nintendo and sony?