Author Topic: Worst Sega games of all time  (Read 19597 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Worst Sega games of all time
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 10:56:45 am »
Kingdom Valley and Crisis City are the only levels that are orginal, with a decent idea and level art.
Some levels have a decent layout (like Wave Ocean), but most of it is really uninspired and generic.

Even with Generations Mods of 06, the repetetiveness and blandness of Flame Core, Dusty Desert and White Acropolis become really apearent.

Exactly, for a platformer it was pretty poor and it shows in a fixed playable version of it using the Generations engine. It just is not a good game in any stretch of the word.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 01:07:33 pm »
Sonic '06 is irredeemable garbage. It is the worst thing ever to exist with the SEGA name on it. I'm a pretty big Sonic fan, and it is the one game of the main series that I have not beaten because it just killed me inside. So much of it is bottom of the barrel garbage...

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 03:24:25 am »
It is the worst thing ever to exist with the SEGA name on it.

Its not worse than Shadow games or the likes of SEGA Ages 2000 range

Undercover 2025 must  rank as one of the worst SEGA Dreamcast games ever made
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 05:11:11 am »
Sonic '06 is nowhere near as bad as Sonic Unleashed. I mean, if Sega was going to make a children's game, then why is it that even children hate that game? I know Sonic '06 had long load times and a bad storyline. Sonic Unleashed had the worst storyline in video game history. It probably would have had long load times, if it were made before 2006. Think about this, both games had a hedgehog that would talk to multiple humans and both human/hedgehog did not find that strange at all.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 09:39:40 am »
Uh, I'm not even a Sonic fan, but there are countless films, TV shows, games and stories in which human and anthropomorphized animal characters interact. In the present and all the way back through the history of literature. It only seems to be Sonic hater/fans who find this to be some kind of anguishing betrayal of logic and reason.

Offline TruthEnigma

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 10:28:36 am »
Master System: Alex Kidd in High Tech World
Miracle World is great and Shinobi World is awesome, but this doesn't look or feel like an Alex Kidd game. I understand is started life as another game, but so did Mario 2 and it's still fun. Maybe it's too much of a departure from the Alex Kidd formula, but I hate this game.

Mega Drive: Hard Drivin'
Two words. Fundamentally broken.

Mega CD: Entire Make My Video series
Why does this exist? They're not really games and even at the time I could not have cared less about C&C Music Factory, Kriss Kross or Marky Mark.

32x: BC Racers
Terrible Mario Kart clone. I understand the Mega CD version is better, but I never played it. It controls so poorly.

Saturn: Street Fighter The Movie The Game
I hate this movie and I hate the game even more. Why would anyone try to make Street Fighter into a Mortal Kombat clone? That's insane!

Dreamcast: South Park Rally
Speaking of crappy Mario Kart clones. Before the awesome Stick of Truth came out, any game featuring South Park was always incredibly poor.

As a 3rd Party: Sonic 06
Two problems exist with this game. The first is the game is broken. It's so bugged it drove me insane at a number of parts. The thing is that if it had been finished properly, the story is stupid. I have no interest in a love story between a woman and an anthropomorphised hedgehog.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 11:01:34 am »
@TruthEnigma - several of those are not SEGA games, they're only running on SEGA hardware. South Park Rally wasn't even developed for a SEGA console, it's a port.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 04:49:06 am »
Well some of the worst and biggest SEGA letdowns for me would be

Virtual Athlete 2K , AX- 101, Nightshade, Shadown the Hedgehog , Gale Racer Motherbase 2000,Midnight Raiders , Project Altered Beast, Virtua Quest, Sonic 06 and the shit that is Afterburner  III  (mega cd)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline TruthEnigma

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2014, 06:36:07 am »
@TruthEnigma - several of those are not SEGA games, they're only running on SEGA hardware. South Park Rally wasn't even developed for a SEGA console, it's a port.

My apologies. Try this.

Miracle World is great and Shinobi World is awesome, but this doesn't look or feel like an Alex Kidd game. I understand is started life as another game, but so did Mario 2 and it's still fun. Maybe it's too much of a departure from the Alex Kidd formula, but I hate this game.

Mega Drive: Super Thunder Blade
The Megadrive had kind of a crappy launch, with a couple of notable exceptions. The worst of which is Super Thunder Blade. The arcade title is fantastic, but this port is awful. What's really amazing is that Sega keeps putting it on compilations. Why for the love of all that is good? It sucks.

Mega CD: Entire Make My Video series
Why does this exist? They're not really games and even at the time I could not have cared less about C&C Music Factory, Kriss Kross or Marky Mark.

32x: Slam City with Scottie Pippen
The 32x had this along with NBA Jam Tournament Edition. NBA Jam is a classic. This is near unplayable. Who though this was a good idea?

Saturn: Sonic R
The controls are so poor and the pacing is slow. Perhaps they could have developed a 3D exploration game, but as a racing game, it sucks.

Dreamcast: Sonic Shuffle
I hate Mario Party and this is a poor clone of a game I hate. Not a good recipe.

As a 3rd Party: Sonic 06
Two problems exist with this game. The first is the game is broken. It's so bugged it drove me insane at a number of parts. The thing is that if it had been finished properly, the story is stupid. I have no interest in a love story between a woman and an anthropomorphised hedgehog.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:41:06 am by TruthEnigma »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2014, 09:51:56 am »
Sonic '06 is nowhere near as bad as Sonic Unleashed. I mean, if Sega was going to make a children's game, then why is it that even children hate that game? I know Sonic '06 had long load times and a bad storyline. Sonic Unleashed had the worst storyline in video game history. It probably would have had long load times, if it were made before 2006. Think about this, both games had a hedgehog that would talk to multiple humans and both human/hedgehog did not find that strange at all.

Story wise Sonic Unleashed was horrible, but at least the Sonic sections were half-way decent at times. Sonic 06 was just a mess through every character's gameplay segment.

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 10:52:51 pm »
Last Action Hero (Genesis) - Barely made it past the 2nd stage
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Genesis) - A very stiff and cheap platformer. I remember using a Game Genie to see what the rest of the game was like and still couldn't beat the last stage. A real disappointment since there have been some great Indy titles on other platforms.

Offline DreamsDied13101

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Dreams Died on 1/31/01
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 03:58:30 pm »

Alex Kidd in High Tech World was a western port of Anmitsu Hime (old manga). Shinobi World was first being built as another game and then changed midproduction to an Alex Kidd game for western audiences.

I liked Sonic Shuffle, but I know that a lot of people hate the game.

Dreamcast: Sonic Shuffle
I hate Mario Party and this is a poor clone of a game I hate. Not a good recipe.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 02:27:18 am »
SEGA Master System - Altered Beast

This is an awful port of the arcade original. While it both looks and sounds decent on SMS, movement is incredibly choppy and the control is atrocious. You have to press 'UP' to jump, which is problematic. In addition the response time is slow.

SEGA Genesis - Last Battle

I'm sure this one is obvious. I've been told that the Japanese version is better. Sadly, I never played that game. The graphics are dull, sound effects are recycled from Altered Beast, and the translation is almost as bad as Metal Gear on NES. This game is pure shit.

SEGA CD - Wild Woody

It's a side-scroller where you play as a pencil. 'Nuff fucking said.

SEGA 32X - N/A

I've yet to play a game developed by SEGA for 32X that I didn't enjoy.

TO BE CONTINUED....
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Centrale

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 12:45:14 pm »
SEGA Master System - Altered Beast

This is an awful port of the arcade original. While it both looks and sounds decent on SMS, movement is incredibly choppy and the control is atrocious. You have to press 'UP' to jump, which is problematic. In addition the response time is slow.

Games like this for the Master System that have unusually large characters are often achieved by using background tiles rather than sprites. (The huge enemies in Space Harrier are another example). But the tradeoff is that background tiles have to move in increments of 8 pixels rather than in increments of 1 pixel, like sprites can. So you're grappling with the system to control a character that always moves up to 8 times the distance as a sprite-based character. You can see that some of the enemies are sprite-based - they move more slowly from frame-to-frame, and they have a lot of flicker.

It's a cool way of using the system in a way that wasn't originally intended (possibly invented by Yuji Naka who developed the SMS version of Space Harrier) but it's got its tradeoffs.

An example of a Master System game with large characters done really well, IMO, is Shadow Dancer. It's a really faithful conversion of the coin-op game (although due to memory limitations, one stage from each level has been omitted) - as compared to the Genesis/MD Shadow Dancer which is a complete re-imagining of the game (also very cool, though). The characters are made of groups of sprites, and are animated really nicely and move precisely. But the tradeoff in this case is that there are much fewer enemies onscreen at once.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:55:39 pm by Centrale »

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2014, 01:15:16 pm »
That's interesting. I just wish the game was playable. Not that it matters very much seeing as how we have the Genesis version, as well as the arcade version, on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 and Xbox360.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q