9 (29%)
SEGA Saturn
9 (29%)
SEGA dreamcast
11 (35.5%)
Other
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Favourite SEGA console (not design)  (Read 17950 times)

Offline joe

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Favourite SEGA console (not design)
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 07:03:24 pm »
I agree, but I would like to know what this Sega Spectrum is all about!!

Offline TJKitsune

• Total Meseta: 13
  • That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:06:46 am »
I'm going to go with the Saturn.  I have more imports for that system than any other Sega system.  The controller is one of my personal favorites.  I'm also a larger arcade fan, and with all the fighting games and shmups the Saturn has, it's hard to cast it aside.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 06:12:29 pm »
Saturn was the peak of 2D animation in RPG's and platformers.  I'm almost 39 years old, I owned a Master System when they were new.   Genesis was cool, but the Saturn is the peak of the 2D era.

Offline ungibbed

• Total Meseta: 4
  • hater of haters...
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 01:51:10 am »
Saturn was the peak of 2D animation in RPG's and platformers.  I'm almost 39 years old, I owned a Master System when they were new.   Genesis was cool, but the Saturn is the peak of the 2D era.

All this time I thought I was one of the oldest people here... 39 is coming at me fast as well.
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 03:04:26 am »
It's past now.   Next birthday might be a little depressing.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 09:53:20 am »
I too am 39... and LOVING IT!

Offline Truesonic

• Total Meseta: 0
    • Live Sega Game Stream
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 05:33:48 pm »
Gotta give it to the Sega Saturn Model 1, so sexy, sleek, and looks like a true gaming beast of a machine. I remember seeing this at my mom's friends house when I was young in Japan. I was amazed by it, based on appearance alone. Then I got to play it... Sega Saturn you were so under appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:35:50 pm by Truesonic »
SEGA Madness Stream: Join us for happy time! - http://www.twitch.tv/wolfpackcomms

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:42 pm »
Gotta give it to the Genesis.

I still remember when i first played Sonic. It was my bro's b-day and my parents surprised em with a Genesis that came bundled with Sonic. Man.. Game blew me away, i remember not being able to keep up with Sonic's speed.

There were also other greats like Shinobi III, Toe Jam & Earl, Shining Force, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage, etc.. The list goes on and on.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 10:45:23 am »
Its a hard choice. If were talking about legends then no doubt, SMD and DC are the top because of what they represent in the history of Sega. MD the rise and popularity of sega and the DC wose affect on gaming as well as sega gamers with what appeared on that system is still being felt today. If were talking about sega hardcore, for me it has to be Saturn GG and SMS but the SMS stands out on top for me. The MS to me is the one as it is the essential representation of what Sega is about, its also the only Sega system that represents two different eras in sega gaming, Sega arcade ports/Sega and Sega after sonic.
Sega as an arcade port was getting games at that time to western gamers that at least looked like their arcade counterparts, and too me is the only system that did a proper port of Operation Wolf. The other part is Sega doing the job alone and coming up with titles you wouldn't think exist or get on any other system. After Sonic: is also important because the MS was boosted not only by a Sega who was great at its programming skills and made some cool games for it but it had titles from third  parties with games that MS owners didn't think would ever appear on their system.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 06:48:46 am »
Saturn is mine it marks the time when SEGA Japan really got serious about In-House console development and also put its AM team to work on their own conversions and thanks to that AM#2, AM#3 were just on fire on the Saturn and it my eye's the Saturn also got the best of GameArts, Raizing, Treasure . Behind the Saturn the Mega CD comes 2nd and then its the Master System (which is sadly so underrated and overlooked)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 03:49:08 pm »
Dreamcast for me. All it need was more Model 3 ports...

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 07:33:06 pm »
Saturn by a mile. The console, to me, represents the high water mark of their Japanese stables. I have never been a big fan of Sonic or football, so those quasi-absences didn't really bother me.

Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighters MegaMix, Virtual On, Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers, three Panzer Games, Dragon Force, Gaurdian Heros, three Shining games (including the last great one), Sakura Taisen, two unique Sonic Team efforts, and on and on and on.

The console represented the apex of 2D gaming, and, despite the naysayers, was a damn good 3D game maker as well. Shenmue running on the Saturn looks like some of the best graphics of the 32 bit era. Sonic X-Treme, even as an incomplete and unreleased game, continues to inspire the series, (and Mario, to boot). Sega also had the 3D controller, the net-link, the twin sticks and a slew of other great gadgets.

The Saturn was also definitely a time of trial. Being a Sega fan at the time was so bizarre. It was bizarre, because Sega was quickly throwing out or never mentioning many of their greatest sellers from the MD era. No Ecco, no Eternal Champions, no Streets of Rage, no (real) Phantasy Star, no ToeJam and Earl, barely any Sonic and so on. It was completely turning the page, but it was a hell of a turn.

I think what is most upsetting about the Saturn was that it could have been so much more. Despite that, I think it represents, particularly from a Japanese software perspective, the brightest time at Sega.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 04:15:01 am »
Really surprised to see poll result.
Didn't expect that Saturn's the winner.

I love Saturn more than Dreamcast because it's full of Arcade's 2D fighting games from Capcom & SNK, and the controller (Japanese version) made it better.
2D fighting games was my favorite genre back then.
Still my favorite is Genesis/Megadrive.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 04:20:26 am »
My vote from 2013 is on the Dreamcast, but over time I came to enjoy the MegaDrive and Saturn much more.
SEG4GES

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 12:56:55 pm »
I'd go with the Dreamcast just based on the originality on display when it came to games and peripherals, but the Genesis is winning me over.

With the combo of Genesis/SEGA CD, and Power Base Converter, the library of quality games is pretty staggering.