Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 236711 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #585 on: July 21, 2017, 03:20:24 pm »
Guess I can just ignore it if it's truly bad. Just wish they'd stop with the cheese. TA, I'm 100% behind you with Mario, but I think the big difference is the lack of VA helps Mario.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have VA, but at least make the writing stronger.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:23:54 pm by Tad »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #586 on: July 22, 2017, 05:39:56 am »
Guess I can just ignore it if it's truly bad. Just wish they'd stop with the cheese. TA, I'm 100% behind you with Mario, but I think the big difference is the lack of VA helps Mario.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have VA, but at least make the writing stronger.
I think it's just it cool to find fault and hate on Sonic or COD these days. I get what you are saying, but it's Sonic at the end of the day. If you want a grown up more serious and adult platform game, then the likes of Drakes or Tomb Raider are more for you.

The game looks good and seems to build on the Gen and Colour team did, I like that direction for Sonic 3D and for the old school gamer you also getting Sonic Mania
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #587 on: July 22, 2017, 07:14:47 am »
So my guess is Sonic Mania will have 10-12 Zones with 20-22 acts and 21-23 boss battles.

I would be more than happy with this, I feel like 10 - 12 zones is a good length.

Also, gotta say I am not a fan of the general 'dark' 'edgy' tone they're taking Sonic Forces, I felt like the self aware comedic direction is way better for Sonic in general. HOWEVER, it wont stop me enjoying the gameplay if it plays like Generations and Colours which imo is the perfect 3D Sonic design.

In the end, Sonic Mania is what's really exciting me though... There really hasn't been a Sonic game like this in so long. I'm so eager to get stuck back into genuine feeling classic Sonic enviroments, music, gameplay...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:16:27 am by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #588 on: July 23, 2017, 07:04:36 am »
I sort of feel bad for sonicteam if they end of get a lot of flack while sonic mania ends up being the darling. I mean yeah  its good and all but still very shameful for a huge experienced team to be outdone by a couple of starters. On a more positive note I'm looking forward to the full fledged 3d classic sonic games they may end up producing. Not easy but sonic utopia proves  that it can be done.

Offline Tad

« Reply #589 on: July 23, 2017, 10:02:24 am »
I sort of feel bad for sonicteam if they end of get a lot of flack while sonic mania ends up being the darling. I mean yeah  its good and all but still very shameful for a huge experienced team to be outdone by a couple of starters. On a more positive note I'm looking forward to the full fledged 3d classic sonic games they may end up producing. Not easy but sonic utopia proves  that it can be done.

I do and I don't at the same time. Despite all the hate it gets, I don't dislike the Adventure games or how they played for the most part. Sure, they had issues, but nothing to the point of being awful or worthy of the hate it gets. It's funny how they only got bad reviews after the Dreamcast died...

I think the problem they've had is mostly to do with direction. They flip flop every few games in gameplay and they seem to be pushing for the story to be for little kids instead of giving it mass appeal like other media does. Mania is clearly aimed at the old gamers, but at least it's premise isn't talking down to it's audience.

Sonic Mania's story: https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/07/sdcc-sonic-mania-panel-roundup-special-stage-reveal/man2/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:21:14 am by Tad »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #590 on: July 23, 2017, 09:17:19 pm »
Looks and sounds good.
Finally Sonic Team is focusing on what it does best, cheesy and fun.

I agree with crackdude, let Sonic Team do what they do best. SEGA can hire another team to appeal to people who want classic style games, maybe the Mania team?

Classic style games have always been a weakness for modern day Sonic Team.

i'll take edgy Sonic any day over another Lost World

Sonic Forces is going to sell well, as is Sonic Mania. It could be a realistic sales model for SEGA going forward and keep everyone happy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:22:06 pm by Happy Cat »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #591 on: July 24, 2017, 02:49:09 am »

How do you know they're out done? We've let to play both games tbf. It's just cool to bash modern Sonic and harp back to the classic SOINC. Not matter how good Modern Sonic is, it will always be bashed more by people who don't like Sonic and haven't bought a Modern Sonic game because it's just so cool and in vogue to bash modern Sonic and Retro is so cool these days

Modern Sonic gets the same sort of crap and bashing the likes of COD gets . And tbh its not like the Classic Sonic were that good imo. Mario IV was a much better game with better level design and to me Revenge of Shinobi and Quackshot were far better Mega Drive platform games
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Tad

« Reply #592 on: July 28, 2017, 02:41:22 pm »
Some places are listing Sonic Forces for the 7th of November.

That's a bit later then I expected really. Thought it wouldn't be too far behind Mania. Fingers crossed the time and effort pays off for the team.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #593 on: August 10, 2017, 08:23:55 pm »
Opening Animation for Sonic Mania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9zwpMj_8A

Offline Tad

« Reply #594 on: August 11, 2017, 10:44:24 am »
This looks like something special. It really does. Can't wait to play it.

Offline Betwixt Thieves

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #596 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:43 pm »
Just read through the review. Feels like most sites are lambasting the game for difficulty, too faithful to original material, and no QTE (ok I made the last one up). It is refreshing to see that the SegaBits review calls out some of these things, but with a humble response that our reflexes have been softened with this current generation of games while acknowledging that this game is faithful to what most of us cut our teeth on when we first began our Sega gaming career.

Thanks for a review that helps me understand what I will be sliding in to when my Collector's Edition shows up at my doorstep.

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #597 on: August 14, 2017, 02:55:50 pm »
I see lots of people who haven't played a Sonic game since 90s or early 00s that makes me both happy and frightened. Is anyone else here going to encourage people to try Sonic games they missed? I will fail miserably but I don't want people to go back into hiding just in case the next game isn't a Mania 2.

Offline Betwixt Thieves

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #598 on: August 14, 2017, 04:13:28 pm »
I see lots of people who haven't played a Sonic game since 90s or early 00s that makes me both happy and frightened. Is anyone else here going to encourage people to try Sonic games they missed? I will fail miserably but I don't want people to go back into hiding just in case the next game isn't a Mania 2.

To be honest I am one of these people. I haven't played a Sonic game since the Dreamcast. I have kept up with other Sega IP, but for some reason have avoided the Sonic titles. Should I venture forth in retrieving the past 15 years of games or leave them buried?

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #599 on: August 14, 2017, 05:08:30 pm »
To be honest I am one of these people. I haven't played a Sonic game since the Dreamcast. I have kept up with other Sega IP, but for some reason have avoided the Sonic titles. Should I venture forth in retrieving the past 15 years of games or leave them buried?
Well I want people to pick up what may interest them. The series is quite varied there is something for everybody contrary to what narrative typically says.

This is what I say to recommending Modern Sonic, I assume you played Adventure:

Advance games
Rush games
Colors
Generations

Worth a play:
Heroes
Unleashed
Lost World
Riders 1
Battle

Skip everything else. All Star Racing I consider a Sega crossover series not really Sonic.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:16:49 pm by Kuronoa »