Author Topic: Sonic Mania turns out great!  (Read 8011 times)

Offline Artwark

• Total Meseta: 0
Sonic Mania turns out great!
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:37:07 am »
So the game is finally out and finally, a Sonic game that is on par with Colors and Generations.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sonic-mania?ref=hp

I just want to say that as a Sonic fan, although I am more of a Mario fan, I'm happy that this game has performed well atleast in reviews. I have to get my hands on the game but I'm happy nonetheless.

Now I want to say this because why not?

Bravo SEGA. You have finally made a Sonic game that is on par with Generations and Colors.

Now all you need to do is LEARN from this game onwards and do JUST that for FUTURE GAMES!!!!!!

No more of that crappy Sonic Boom games, no more of adding new and new characters over and over again and no more of that trying to play safe route with Sonic 4 and all. Just keep doing like this until fans want something different.

Not every dev has to risk doing different things like Nintendo because devs can't spend so much time and money to do different things unlike Nintendo and you SEGA are one of them.

Now unless if I'm mistaken here, Sonic is an important IP for SEGA. It is one of the reasons why SEGA is relevant to the game industry and again, as a fan, I only want the best out of Sonic.

With that, I'm excited and I can't wait to get my hands on this in PC. Although it is kind of pity that its not coming to 3DS for some reason.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Sonic Mania turns out great!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 08:23:18 am »
"Not every dev has to risk doing different things like Nintendo"

I'll bite. What has Nintendo done that's so different?

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:23:58 pm »

Mario Plays Tennis 14

Offline Artwark

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 01:09:39 am »

Seriously?

Offline Tad

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 02:01:57 am »
Yes. Let's examine your claim, shall we.

Mario. A basic bread and butter platformer that occasionally adds a new mechanic that's taken from other games. Galaxy for example used physics/gravity the same way many other games had. Sonic 2, Psychonauts and god knows how many flash games.

Zelda. A standard adventure RPG that rewards puzzle solving and exploration. Now, it's getting praised for doing stuff the elder scroll series has been doing since the early 00s including the mundane stuff. The devs were clearly laughing at the players when they literally made it a quest to collect poo.

Smash. Under any other direction this wouldn't work, but by following the battle royale method with Nintendo characters, it's got a huge appeal for the Nintendo fans. Again, a battle royale game. Nothing new or different.

Mario Kart. If you can dominate the others and still end up last because of a stupid item that rewards your efforts with a middle finger, your game is broken. It's as simple as that.

Splatoon. I actually liked this. It's a fun paint ball like game, but the first game created it's law well...but then it just ends. No story mode, just the same few maps over and over for online gaming. It quickly got boring just holding the trigger down while running around.

And that'll be it from Nintendo every console. They'll bring these games out, then bring them out again with fresh paint for the next console. People talk about the old Sonic cycle, but Nintendo seem to have a far worse one. F-Zero, was thrown under a bus and they seemed to have tied Starfox to the back of it and let it get destroyed since Starfox 64. Nintendo have been resting their creative mind for quite a while now and living off the heavily biased media due to nostalgia.

Don't get me wrong, Sega have made many, many stupid mistakes. Some are just incredible dumb it's amazing they got past quailty assurance or even beyond the doodle on the back of a kitchen towel, but lack of creativity can never ever been used to bash Sega. The problem Sega has is creativity doesn't always sell or always result in a quailty product. Sonic Unleashed is a great example of this.

Offline Artwark

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:09:36 am »
Yes. Let's examine your claim, shall we.

Don't get me wrong, Sega have made many, many stupid mistakes. Some are just incredible dumb it's amazing they got past quailty assurance or even beyond the doodle on the back of a kitchen towel, but lack of creativity can never ever been used to bash Sega. The problem Sega has is creativity doesn't always sell or always result in a quailty product. Sonic Unleashed is a great example of this.

Which is exactly what I said earlier that NOT EVERYTHING needs to be completely different thus breaking the game further. Just play the damn safe route from Sonic Mania onwards and then do something different.

As for the rest of your posts, I'm not gonna bother attacking it since it clearly shows that its either your opinion or that you support SEGA to even great lengths.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:32:57 am »
That music to Green Hill Zone that always makes me happy, it never fails. Loving the game and this is really what should have been on the Saturn as a stop-gap with say Sonic CD on the Saturn but with Saturn sprite effects and better gfx on the bonus rounds. until Sonic Adv was ready on the Saturn.
Fun game but I still find the 3D games better myself.

Also speaking of Soinc CD all those lovely sprite effects like rotation on Sonic and the bosses in Mania could and should have been done on the Mega CD by SEGA to show off the ASIC hardware.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Centrale

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:03:31 am »
Not every dev has to risk doing different things like Nintendo because devs can't spend so much time and money to do different things unlike Nintendo and you SEGA are one of them.

Dude, you've got a history of trolling on this forum and it looks like you're getting up to old tricks. It's laughable to try and assert that Nintendo is somehow more of a risk-taking innovator than Sega... particularly on a Sega forum.

Offline Tad

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 12:13:31 pm »

Which is exactly what I said earlier that NOT EVERYTHING needs to be completely different thus breaking the game further. Just play the damn safe route from Sonic Mania onwards and then do something different.

As for the rest of your posts, I'm not gonna bother attacking it since it clearly shows that its either your opinion or that you support SEGA to even great lengths.

I don't support Sega to great lengths. Nintendo make plenty of great games, there's no denying that.

Zelda OOT/MM/WW - Great games. Simply amazing. Twilight and Skyward both had good moments, but didn't quite do it for me personally. No interest in the direction it's took with Botw.
Pokèmon - again, love it. I haven't kept up to date, but the series is just great and I really hope the full 3D Switch game is good.
Starfox 64 - Really annoyed we haven't had a true follow up to this as I played this all the time as a kid.
Splatoon - great idea, but I feel it wasn't fully fleshed out once it was released.

Need I go on?

Things I don't like about Sega:

32x/CD - stupid, stupid, stupid.
Ailen CM/ Sonic Boom - disgusting that Sega released these.
Yakuza - Great games no doubt, but I struggle to really click with them. The problem is, it's the next big title for Sega now and this means I just have to ignore it.
Sonic - mainly the way they've flip flopped on it's direction. Yes, they do deserve some criticism, but it's completely overblown to the point that the media give them good scores then declare Sonic was never any good.
Forgotten Series - Both Sega and Nintendo are guilty of these. Tons of loved game series just sitting there doing nothing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:58:09 pm by Tad »

Offline Artwark

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 12:26:14 am »
Dude, you've got a history of trolling on this forum and it looks like you're getting up to old tricks. It's laughable to try and assert that Nintendo is somehow more of a risk-taking innovator than Sega... particularly on a Sega forum.

When I said that not everyone has to innovate like Nintendo, I meant that those who think that SEGA makes games that aren't fresh are wrong. They don't always have to innovate and they don't always have to feel fresh.

That's what I meant by that since a lot of people believe that Nintendo tends to do lots of gimmicks to their consoles and IPs which are not needed always.

What the hell does this have anything to do with trolling SEGA here?

Offline Centrale

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:30:13 pm »
What the hell does this have anything to do with trolling SEGA here?

Your meaning is unclear. I think a better question is, what does Nintendo have to do with Sonic Mania?

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 07:59:31 pm »
Just finished sonic mania and it was great. It touched a lot of chords with me im guessing im not the only one. Honestly there isnt much to be dissatisfied about from level design to bosses. Everything is pretty solid in the game. Only thing i hope in the future is to feel more of a difficulty progression from zone to.the next. Game had a stagnant difficulty it wasnt that hard i think. So yeah this being a classic style sonic game since a long time makes thay forgiving. Lots of new people will need to get used to the controls and might have difficulty like many of us did when we started. Hopefully we'll see a followup game be a bit more challenging.

Offline Betwixt Thieves

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 10:39:08 pm »
I was really surprised to see a lot of the reviews mention how hard the game was. So far the game has been easier than classic Sonic titles in my opinion.

The game is amazing. I have loved it even more than I thought I would. Going to let the kids try it out on Saturday and see what they think (they are 6 and 3). My six year old already loves the old Sonic games so she is super excited.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 11:32:30 pm »
Yeah I think that overall it may bea bit of the same as sonic 2 and s3k but the peak(in challenge) is definitely higher in those games. No sonic game is really challenging if u realise that u can almost always pick up that one ring. I hope they explore this a bit more.

Offline Artwark

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 07:50:37 am »
Your meaning is unclear. I think a better question is, what does Nintendo have to do with Sonic Mania?

It has nothing. I was just making an example as such.