Author Topic: Have you embraced mobile gaming?  (Read 32489 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Have you embraced mobile gaming?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2015, 02:05:05 pm »
I didn't say the gameplay was better. It's better if you're on the go, or are starting to play videogames

You said it was deeper than the originals.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2015, 02:09:02 pm »
How about not judging a game's gameplay until you actually play it?

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2015, 02:11:23 pm »
When it comes to temple run style games I will admit I don't see the appeal... Including Crazy Taxi id much rather have a 'proper' one... Then again I also don't see the appeal of sports games, I'd much rather go outside and play sports... Doesn't mean much though, there are plenty of other genres on console... and plenty of other genres on mobile.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2015, 04:06:48 pm »
Seems like someone else is joining the mobile market. Itagaki (Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive and Devil's Third):

Itagaki gave an interview to People's Daily Overseas Edition Japan Monthly, and said some pretty funny things. To note, this is a Japanese edition of a China newspaper, so keep in mind that his comments are likely intended to be for readers who have an interest in China-centric news.

When asked about the future of Valhalla Studios, he said that they're currently committed to finishing Devil's Third on WiiU, but after it ships, they'll be developing mobile games. He goes on to talk about mobile gaming culture in China, and how it is a huge market which has a strong social culture. He hopes to tie-in with Chinese companies in future to take full advantage of the growing market there.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054433

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2015, 04:48:27 pm »
How about not judging a game's gameplay until you actually play it?

I admitted I haven't played it, but I can still say it 'looks' bad. It's an infinite runner.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2015, 04:24:25 am »
*draws sword and points it to the sky*

NEVER!!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2015, 05:12:20 am »
You said it was deeper than the originals.
The originals are pure arcade games. There is no progression. Nothing to achieve but a high score. They have deeper gameplay, but the game itself isn't deep at all.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2015, 06:23:14 am »
City Rush isn't an endless runner. Stages have set goals and time limits. There are time extensions but you won't be playing endlessly.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2015, 08:17:27 am »
The originals are pure arcade games. There is no progression. Nothing to achieve but a high score. They have deeper gameplay, but the game itself isn't deep at all.

To me the gameplay is the game though.

Aesthetic fluff like paint-jobs and Hulk Hogan DLC isn't deep compared to the gameplay techniques. I know what you mean though, the games don't have much content.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2015, 09:02:49 am »
I don't think crackdude was referring to aesthetic fluff, I think he was referring to City Rush's progression and missions, which are more fleshed out than the arcade games. In that sense, I can see how he would call the game deeper in the gameplay department. The games are both very different though, so I wouldn't take "deeper gameplay" as meaning "City Rush is the better game".

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2015, 09:15:26 am »
I wouldn't take "deeper gameplay" as meaning "City Rush is the better game".
Basically this.

Thanks Barry, I was having some trouble with the language barrier.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2015, 10:19:32 am »
It has more content is what you are saying?

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2015, 11:00:23 am »
Yes. It has actual objectives, progression.
You not only get to customize your cab, there is a huge number of different cabs with different characteristics and everyone has several upgradeable parts that influence gameplay. You unlock new cities, objectives... Hell, the game has a storyline and some chapters are genuinely funny.

All this in a free game with (simplified) arcade fashion gameplay. If you want to spend a whole hour in it they charge you like.. a buck or two.
I really don't have a problem with this. It's mobile gaming done right. Sega's mobile games are VERY good, and show off Sega's heritage best than say...Alien Isolation. Because Sega is all about the quick but meaningful experiences.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2015, 11:02:47 am »
It has more content, stage progression, and more variation in missions. But the arcade Crazy Taxi games have more free roaming controls and the crazy box missions. To me, the games are too different to be compared, they're both good and City Rush stays true to the Crazy Taxi formula.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2015, 11:13:28 am »
It has more content, stage progression, and more variation in missions. But the arcade Crazy Taxi games have more free roaming controls and the crazy box missions. To me, the games are too different to be compared, they're both good and City Rush stays true to the Crazy Taxi formula.

How can it be too different to be comparable, but stay true to the formula?
Because Sega is all about the quick but meaningful experiences.

Hmmmmmmm I dunno. What about their old RPGs like Phantasy Star and Shining Force?
Is Shenmue not representative of Sega? Skies of Arcadia?