Author Topic: So You're Moving Out Of Your Parents Home...  (Read 10244 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: So You're Moving Out Of Your Parents Home...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 04:12:12 am »
Buying a house for me and for many in Portugal is a complicated deal. Sure having a house that you can pay off is great, but it's also a massive commitment.

The most problematic of all is that it stagnates people. In my case, I work for a company in Oporto while living in a place like Aveiro, which is roughly 70 kms away (40-minute drive by car, 1hr by train). I telecommute so, I don't have to spend that much in travelling, however, if I had to work at the office it would mean expenses and time that I waste during travels.

But really troubling is that, yes you can buy a house, but assuming that you get a better job offer in some distant place. It would mean, putting up the house for sale, while you have to buy and maybe request another loan which would take another 30 or so-years to pay off.

Selling a house is very difficult nowadays. My parents took almost 2 years to sell our old one thus repeating that process would be almost financially suicidal at this point. And when you don't sell, you still have to pay for the local taxes in both your new home and your old one until it's sold off. And this is no bull, I had to visit the old house every month to open faucetts for an hour because it's was cheaper than to have no running water.
Penafiel City Hall(in the town where I lived) actually charged more water works taxes for apartments and houses that didn't report any increases in their water counter.

It's a cultural thing, owing a house is the quintessential portuguese way of life, but with the housing bubble that mindest is slowly changing.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 12:28:56 pm »
Ben pretty much hit it on the head. In the states, haggling won't get you anywhere and it'll definitely look bad because you want to seem as though you won't have an issue with monthly payments. Also, your credit needs to be great, no one cares about references here. If you pass their credit check, then you should be fine. Most places around here tell you how much you'll need to move in immediately, down payment, 1 month of rent, etc. It's pretty straight forward stuff. I would recommend looking for a place that covers some utilities, like water, trash, etc.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 09:15:05 am »
Guess it's gonna take a little longer than what I expected. Partially it's the hesitation of leaving the "nest", custody of the dogs and the larger expenses... but hopefully I can figure something out.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 04:15:27 pm »
You own dogs? My big cousin brought a dog when they moved out. The moment they failed and moved back in; and had to choose between the dog and the baby ( something along those lines ).

Why I say a house is because it could like an apartment. Imagine if you got it in your name and then have somebody live their and help out with the bills. I just can't bear to see my money go into something I do not own at all.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 09:25:15 am »
Well, I finally worked up the guts to call one of those numbers and I'll be taking a look at a Studio Apartment today.

Gotta start somewhere.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 03:46:25 pm »
Studio apartments are fucking sweet, I've been living in one for the last nine months. Easy to maintain and more than enough room for something a guy like me needs. Most of my furniture was purchased on the cheap from the previous tenant, Ikea and I took a dinner table from someone who was moving and was going to throw theirs out.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 05:13:10 pm »
The one I checked was already full furnished (fridge an' all) and even had an 32 inch LED TV in the living room ( which I don't need, 'cause I got my own). I was very much surprised by how huge it was, way different to the old studio apartments when my parents were young.

But when it came to rent, it was way too expensive and there was really nothing I could barter off, so I had to bs my way out of it. But I'll keep lookin'. There's a few cheaper studio apartments 'round here.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 09:03:52 am »
The one I checked was already full furnished (fridge an' all) and even had an 32 inch LED TV in the living room ( which I don't need, 'cause I got my own). I was very much surprised by how huge it was, way different to the old studio apartments when my parents were young.

But when it came to rent, it was way too expensive and there was really nothing I could barter off, so I had to bs my way out of it. But I'll keep lookin'. There's a few cheaper studio apartments 'round here.

You should expect a fridge and oven as standard, but any other furniture (tables/chairs/bed etc) are usually what comes with 'Fully Furnished' apartments. Fully Furnished seems to be for short term rent only (or mega-rich people) because it inflates the rent so much.

You're better off finding a place that has just the fridge, oven and then buy your own furniture if you're planning to stay for a year at least. The rent changes dramatically in my experience and you'll save by buying your own stuff or moving what you can from home.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 05:45:28 pm »
I really would like an "Studio" apartment one day. In the term to actually run a studio of some sort. My family member had one such apartment. It was a big room, with an basic kitchen area. Nothing too amazing. Just a big room basically. I hated that thing, plenty of "flying" roaches.

I really want a cabin. Yeah I am going to grow my hair out and wave to the pretty people walking by all day long. Or a house designed as one.

Maybe you could find somebody in the area who is willing to share a place with you. I could see myself with like four or ten people inside one place.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 06:06:46 am »
Well, I thought I could talk about this again:

Number 1: It's been on my mind again.
Number 2: It was one of 2014's NYR that I didn't get done.

Quick question: Without getting too much into detail, how difficult or what hurdles come with "leaving the nest"?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 08:29:31 am »
The hardest part is taking the first step I think. I just kind of up and left the country and had to start living on my own. Make sure you have the finances to do it first is the big thing I guess. If you aren't moving far then it's not too hard to adjust, since you can visit and the like.