Author Topic: Comics and Graphic Novel General Discussion!  (Read 79812 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Comics and Graphic Novel General Discussion!
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2012, 05:51:46 pm »

I read this a while ago. The last great Paul Dini story arc after his departure from Detective Comics.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2012, 05:02:23 pm »

Trashy, trashy, trashy.

This comic has it's moments (mostly where Garth Ennis is writing, but even then it's weaker than his other stuff), but overall its a bit naff I think. I LOVE the characters and lore and story from the games, and unbelievably the comic was considerably less interesting.

Having said that, it's not terrible, in fact, the trashiness is probably part of it's charm, like a guilty pleasure sort of thing. Overall though, it's just not what I was hoping for after playing the games. I'm thinking i'll park this series for a moment, and move to some classic Punisher Warzone which I found a trade of in the comic book shop the other day and looks really good.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2012, 12:30:08 pm »

Recently finished these.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2012, 04:14:48 am »
Street Fighter? How was that one? Also, it looks like CVS2 artwork.
I started reading Punisher War Journal classic the other day. It's really good. It always surprises me just how serious old Punisher comics can be. In an age where i usually expect extreme cheesiness, the Punisher comics seem much more mature and well told than a lot of modern stuff I read. There's very little super-heroics going on with the Punisher, and it seems like he relies on cunning just as much as recent titles. There's not quite the level of extreme violence, but he's still operating in very real-world circumstances most of the time it seems.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2012, 05:27:32 pm »

So, finally finished reading Scott Pilgrim, good stuff.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2012, 12:56:46 pm »
A few more I finished reading:

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2012, 01:20:08 pm »
Green Lantern from Earth 2 was announced today. He is a gay character. I don't mind gay characters, but DC comics is using that as promotion for the character. Feels like they add 'gay' characters to be more diverse...

Come on.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2012, 01:53:32 pm »
Yeah, saw that. Pretty cheap. Like, why not CREATE a character with that as their character rather than dusting off an old character and tacking it on. Makes it seem real cheap. Also, it relegates being gay to being like Iron Man with a drinking problem. Character boring? Add a change in sexual orientation!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »
He isn't the only gay character, the New 52 also has Batwoman, who is a lesbian. But at least that wasn't flaunted.

In the end I didn't care much for her story.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2012, 11:55:15 am »
Yeah, saw that. Pretty cheap. Like, why not CREATE a character with that as their character rather than dusting off an old character and tacking it on. Makes it seem real cheap. Also, it relegates being gay to being like Iron Man with a drinking problem. Character boring? Add a change in sexual orientation!
They created a new gay character for Teen Titans. I guess they figured they'd get more coverage with an established name like Green Lantern.
To be fair, this is an alternate universe GL, so I don't see it as being much different than Ultimate Colossus being gay.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2012, 06:24:38 pm »
They created a new gay character for Teen Titans. I guess they figured they'd get more coverage with an established name like Green Lantern.
To be fair, this is an alternate universe GL, so I don't see it as being much different than Ultimate Colossus being gay.
Ohhh, so THAT's why Fluffy used to harp on about Collossus so much.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2012, 06:39:29 pm »
Could be. I know Brian K. Vaughan did a run on that title, so I'd imagine it was well written (at least while he was on it).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2012, 10:15:15 pm »
Haha! I read Colossus as Galactus and thought how freakin' crazy that would be. Who would date Galactus? How would he, erm... find a man willing to take his massive dong?

Offline SOUP

« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2012, 10:59:13 pm »
Haha! I read Colossus as Galactus and thought how freakin' crazy that would be. Who would date Galactus? How would he, erm... find a man willing to take his massive dong?
Maybe that's why he's always in such a surly mood. A lonely devourer of worlds is a grumpy devourer of worlds.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2012, 10:46:51 am »
I don't post in here much, but I did pick up a few comic books. Found the complete mini-series of Dollman. What is Dollman? A fantastic B-movie about a tiny cop from outer space who takes on a bunch of drug dealers and aliens on Earth. Here's the trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y0WzayKjk8[/youtube]

They teamed with this publisher I've never heard of to produce a four issue mini-series of Dollman's further adventures. Here's the first issue:

Once I read them all I'll share my thoughts, but I'm certain they'll be awesome.