Author Topic: The Wonder Boy/Monster World thread  (Read 53830 times)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
The Wonder Boy/Monster World thread
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:25:21 am »
I've only beaten the last two titles in the series, but even at that, I'm surprised this series doesn't get more attention nowadays. 
These are hands down some of the best 16-bit titles I've played, and they're just overflowing with character.

I finally finished Wonder Boy in Monster World yesterday, and I'd probably put it just behind Monster World IV.  The combat's a bit tougher than Monster World IV, but you can equip a spear to give you a bit more of an attack range. Instead of the episodic levels of Monster World IV, everything is interconnected in a Metroid meets Zelda kind of way.
The only real downside to Wonder Boy in Monster World that I found, was that the final boss is ridiculous. The entire screen is trying to kill you, while you jump around on a treadmill, trying to avoid a buzz saw in the ground, and every once in a while hitting the actual boss.

I'd like to give  Wonder Boy in Monster Land a shot, but if it's any thougher than this one, I doubt that I'll be able to beat it.

Also: The emulation on these Vintage Collection games is fantastic.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: The Wonder Boy/Monster World thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:52:29 pm »
Which version of Wonder Boy in Monster World is it?  The Genesis/Mega Drive, I presume?  I really want to play it.  I finished Monster World IV a few months back and it's a masterpiece.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land is cool, but obviously since it's the earliest of the series (well, aside from just plain Wonder Boy), it's more basic than the later games.  But it's still got a very pleasant atmosphere.  It is hard as nails though.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:42:58 pm »
Yeah. It's the Genesis & Mega Drive version (there's a region select in the emulator menu).
If you liked Monster World IV at all, I'd definitely recommend it. The main character will seem quite a bit clunkier to control than Asha, but things get better once you upgrade the equipment.

It's interesting to see the little things that join the two games together story-wise too.

I'll definitely have to at least give Wonder Boy in Monster Land a shot then. I'll just be a bit bummed out if I can't finish it.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 09:04:21 pm »
I am not sure why I shunned the series for so long, but after fully completing it I consider Monster World IV one of my favorite games of all time now, so I really want to get into the rest. I have played them all previously, but not extensively.

I have always heard The Dragon's Trap is the best in the series, so I am not sure if I should go into that first or save it for last. Most would probably tell me to check out the Master System version, but I think the worse resolution in the Game Gear release will make it overall a bit easier.

Monster Land is actually pretty forgiving, way way easier than Monster World. Just be sure to ignore the boot upgrades!

Another very similar game I think everyone here should check out is Chiki Chiki Boys/Mega Twins. I prefer the Genesis version, but there are too many variations to count. Fantastic game.

Fake edit: Another another great similar game to check out is Tomba, which was just released on the PSN last week. I love the game, but not as much as I remember I did back in the day. Still very good fun.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:09:21 am »
Thanks for the tips on the boots.
I really want to try out Dragon's Trap, but I think I'll hold out for a Vintage Collection release of the remaining games.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 12:05:38 pm »
I've started up Wonder Boy in Monster Land.
It's pretty interesting so far, but quite difficult in spots. Right now I'm stuck fighting some guy that shoots rainbow lasers.
My shield isn't big enough to block them, and I just keep dying over and over :(.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 08:06:10 pm »
Looks like Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap got physical edition from Arc System Works.
PS4 version only though.

Source : http://www.play-asia.com/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-multi-language/13/70b4g3

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 10:14:44 pm »
Wait, what?? I don't know much about Arc System Works. Explain how they got it.

Offline Berto

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 11:49:44 pm »
Wait, what?? I don't know much about Arc System Works. Explain how they got it.

Arc System Works acts only as a publisher for Asian physical release.
According to what I read on smspower forum, 'superior' western physical release would be revealed soon (after they got publisher probably, hopefully NOT Limited Run Games).

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 03:55:52 am »
If you're at the rainbow laser guy, I'm guessing it's that Bull Boss? If so, I hope you haven't been ignoring the boot upgrades as the only way to beat him is to be faster than he's able to blast you.

I'm chiming in cus I recently beat the game. Did it on the Vintage collection (tons of game saves were needed).

You just have to keep rushing him. Stay really close hit hit hit, don't take any breaks or leave any gaps.

Good luck.

If you HAVE to play things in order then don't play Dragon's Trap until you're done with Monster Land. It is a direct sequel.

Add one vote from me for Dragon's Trap being the best of all time. IV being a close second (and better in some ways).

Wonder Boy rules!!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 07:22:08 am »
Why isn't Sega publishing this? Game looks great
SEG4GES

Offline Berto

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 02:23:29 am »
Any more news about "Wonder Boy Universe: Asha in Monster World"?
The latest WB game that's first spotted on the official GDC 2020 exhibitor page?

Edit : The news : http://segabits.com/blog/2020/08/24/wonder-boy-asha-in-monster-world-announced-for-ps4-and-nintendo-switch-with-the-original-development-team/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:06:55 pm by Berto »

Offline Berto

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 07:18:13 pm »
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom' to Get a Free 4k/120fps Upgrade on Xbox Series S/X and PlayStation 5

Source : https://twitter.com/user/status/1303438434950938624

Offline Berto

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 09:15:36 pm »
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:37:56 am by Berto »

Offline Berto

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 09:19:46 pm »
Save 55% on Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom on Steam
Offer ends at 25 September 2020

Link : https://store.steampowered.com/app/449610/Monster_Boy_and_the_Cursed_Kingdom/