Author Topic: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread  (Read 273320 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 04:48:39 am »
I never stated why the game was cancelled heh.

And then you asking why it was cancelled. Not big it doesn't fit into their key IPs,  that didn't last a year until SEGA  decided to invest in Company of Heroes 2,  Hatsune Mike and obtaining the Warhammer license.

Did they not have the resources? A silly notion after they spent over a $100 million on a developer who hardly has a million seller.

Perhaps they just didn't like the series? Which again made little sense given the fact SEGA funded a Bayonetta movie. The cancellation of Bayonetta 2 (or rather production being put on hold) has little in them wanting to focus only in 4 key IPs.

It was cancelled because Sega ran out of money for that title and a whole lot of other games that was meant to be coming out around this time and they weren't prepared to give Platinum Games the same deal they had on their previous contract which is why Anarcy Reigns was the last Sega game made for them. But instead of totally abandoning the title because it did make money they manage to strike a deal with Nintendo who took over all dev duties.
Sega refocusing at that time was mainly down to cutting the western development deals and just using the western studios (that they already own) to bring in the money on that side of things. Although there was some good games from that period like OVERKILL the western contract dev wasn't bringing in that much revenue, the only thing that was was the PC acquired IP and studios. And the company changed tactics accordingly. You also add the ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES scandal and the fact that BINARY DOMAIN flopped via lack of funds and mis handling, you can see why Sega sammy decided enough was enough.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 07:30:25 am »
Nah Bay, can be around as long Megaman if they want to. The idea is to focus as many users as possible, while keeping the series on going. With PS4/PS3/360/720 we have the problem with the user base outside that realm. Microsoft always have the PC market to be on, and the SONY, has a problem of censorship in Japan, when it comes to videogames ( TV-TOys vs Computer thing ). That is why we do not see any high profile material on our game systems. Their is nudity, suggestion of sex, but never really anything major.

With Nintendo we are safe because the market will not crumble on it's self, and since the thing is already going to be censored why not. A kiddie market is the baseline of the videogame market, leaving all that ikki stuff for computers. I know I am mad about it too, but even games in the west like "Conkers Bad Furday" and "ShadowRun Jake" was censored all over the place.

SONY was sappose to be this adult game system, as well as the original X-box, but instead they decided to play the, lets make another console game bit. The videogame/TV-toy market is made for children, and while their are many adults and educated people ( not to mean schooling/college ),
using these micro-controllers, they are also not freindly with me

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 07:47:08 am »
You also add the ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES scandal

Speaking of which, did SEGA ever get their money back from Gearbox? Not heard anything from them since.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 10:58:18 am »
To be fair, the decision to bring the game to Wii U was made long before the system started bombing.

Regardless, it's beside the point; if it wasn't for Nintendo the game wouldn't exist; nobody else apparently wanted to put up the money.

True, but Bayonetta was never a good match for the system in the first place. The original wasn't released on the Wii, and Nintendo already has a stigma of only being a platform to sell first party games.

Also, as I said, I think everyone agrees we'd rather see it exist as an exclusive rather than not exist at all, I'm just asking if it's going to bomb harder than Anarchy Reigns.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 11:17:12 am »
Whatcha mean not a good match. Pretty average. What I see in Bay, is all the stuff we usted to think was umber cool, or umber bad arsery, but people have moved on since then. Again for the new crowd. I think they decided to make the characters, super western, just to show off the systems powers. Otherwise, it would probably look like an animated character, or even FFX, or FFVIII.

Speaking of which, did SEGA ever get their money back from Gearbox? Not heard anything from them since.

From my understanding, their are various upgrades to this game itself, being made over time. However I am clueless to what is occurring. Mostly DLC related material. That Alien Horror game, however is looking good. Takes place in the Aliens world, without new products, outside that time zone. The only problem, being Ripley daughter, kinda sucks. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:33:26 am by RegalSin »

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 02:37:03 pm »
I'm not sure why Sega would ever "get their money back" from Gearbox, they released the game and they served as its publishers throughout the entire development process, so it's very hard to believe that they could have been "taken by surprise" by the game's quality.

If you don't like the job a studio is doing, you either fire the studio or go in and fix it...you don't wait until after they release a product and then go "hm....the game wasn't good...give us back our money!"

A break down of communication.

Erm, how so?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 03:04:48 pm »
I'm not sure why Sega would ever "get their money back" from Gearbox, they released the game and they served as its publishers throughout the entire development process, so it's very hard to believe that they could have been "taken by surprise" by the game's quality.

If you don't like the job a studio is doing, you either fire the studio or go in and fix it...you don't wait until after they release a product and then go "hm....the game wasn't good...give us back our money!"

I'm pretty sure he means in regards to the accusations that Gearbox was using Sega's money to bankroll Borderlands 2 instead of using it for development of Colonial Marines.

I can't remember if there was enough evidence for Sega to launch an investigation/lawsuit for mis-use of their funding.

Offline Ben

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 03:43:12 pm »
I doubt that there would be enough evidence for anything real to take place.

And again, if this was something that was occuring, it should have been corrected throughout the development, not admitted to after the fact.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 11:31:07 am »
Nah Bay, can be around as long Megaman if they want to. The idea is to focus as many users as possible, while keeping the series on going. With PS4/PS3/360/720 we have the problem with the user base outside that realm. Microsoft always have the PC market to be on, and the SONY, has a problem of censorship in Japan, when it comes to videogames ( TV-TOys vs Computer thing ). That is why we do not see any high profile material on our game systems. Their is nudity, suggestion of sex, but never really anything major.

With Nintendo we are safe because the market will not crumble on it's self, and since the thing is already going to be censored why not. A kiddie market is the baseline of the videogame market, leaving all that ikki stuff for computers. I know I am mad about it too, but even games in the west like "Conkers Bad Furday" and "ShadowRun Jake" was censored all over the place.

SONY was sappose to be this adult game system, as well as the original X-box, but instead they decided to play the, lets make another console game bit. The videogame/TV-toy market is made for children, and while their are many adults and educated people ( not to mean schooling/college ),
using these micro-controllers, they are also not freindly with me

That has nothing to do with BAYONETTA's longevity. The main thing that affected BAYONETTA was behind the scene politics/financial situation. Nothing more, nothing less. Plus we are also talking about a company that can leave a game series alone for 20 years and then come back to it. And most of those are games that their inhouse teams produce. So with that in mind BAYONETTA has no chance really being a second party made game. The systems and whatever the company is doing with them has no real bearing to BAYONETTA's current situation. 

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 07:18:36 am »
I don't think you'd find many developers who would pass up the opportunity to work on a series as iconic as Metal Gear.

Besides that, Metal Gear Rising was a perfect fit for Platinum.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 02:16:55 pm »
I think it's a little silly to suggest that Bayonetta 2 could kill the franchise, when the franchise was already dead.

Bayonetta sold well, but in the end it SEGA didn't want to make a sequel on their dime. Really, that's when the franchise died.

Bayonetta 2 is going to bomb, and it may very well be the last game we see in the franchise unless Nintendo or some other benefactor decide to fund another title. But personally, I prefer to think of this game as a pleasant final surprise from a franchise that produced my favorite 3D action title.

Heck, Kamiya doesn't even seem to think a third one will be needed:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/08/kamiya_doesnt_think_bayonetta_3_will_ever_happen_but_is_open_to_okami_sequel

Personally, I'm okay with this being the last Bayonetta game for awhile.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:20:58 pm by nuckles87 »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:29 pm »
Outside of the two games, we had Bayonetta in Anarchy Reigns and Wonderful 101, so at the very least if there isn't another game after the sequel, we have a few other games that allow you to play as her.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2014, 05:14:05 pm »
Knuckles' logic makes little to no sense, possibly not well thought out. You are suggesting that it is OK to deflate and kill a series because SEGA said they didn't have enough money to make a sequel at the time? You do know money comes and goes, right? Just because SEGA didn't make the sequel right away didn't mean they couldn't do it later for Xbox One or PS4? But switching consoles is deadly for a franchise and now that it is locked down to Wii U it pretty much means its dead, along with the hardware that it tied exclusivity for.

I don't know about you, I wish SEGA would have not made that deal, at all. I agree unless SEGA has the ability to port the game after x amount of time, this will probably be the last Bayonetta game.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:16:18 pm by George »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2014, 06:54:01 pm »
From my understanding Sega, or anyone else will not be able to port the game because Nintendo funded it and will hold publishing rights to it. It's trickier than usual maybe because Sega still owns the IP, but I don't think they could make Bayonetta 2 for any other system, even if it was renamed or "Bayonetta 2 GOTY Edition" or something.

Offline Ben

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2014, 01:35:47 am »
Knuckles' logic makes little to no sense, possibly not well thought out. You are suggesting that it is OK to deflate and kill a series

Uhh, no. Sega cancelled the game. I do love how you're going to blame a company other than Sega when Sega were the ones who cancelled the game. You're suggesting that it's Nintendo's fault that Bayonetta will die when they're the only ones who picked the franchise up when Sega was ready to pull the plug on it. That's insane.

because SEGA said they didn't have enough money to make a sequel at the time? You do know money comes and goes, right?

Yeah because we know how much Sega loves to make sequels to beloved franchises. How's waiting on Shenmue III coming? JSR3?

Yup, someday the money will be there, keep waiting, guys! It'll happen!

Money "comes and goes" yet money never seems to come to continuing beloved Sega fanchises, instead, it's blown on bad games like Aliens:Colonial Marines. The idea that if Nintendo didn't pick up Bayonetta 2, Sega would eventually decide to release it, is just wishful thinking to the highest degree. When "the money comes" to Sega, it goes into bad licenses, or into not releasing their games in the West. That's always fun. Maybe the money would come into a Yakuza 6 that Western fans would never get to play. Good times!

Just because SEGA didn't make the sequel right away didn't mean they couldn't do it later for Xbox One or PS4? But switching consoles is deadly for a franchise and now that it is locked down to Wii U it pretty much means its dead, along with the hardware that it tied exclusivity for.

Maybe Sega should have thought of that before, you know...cancelling it? And then selling its rights off?

Sega.Had.No.Intention.Of.Continuing.Bayonetta.

We're lucky the sequel exists at all and if it weren't for Nintendo, it wouldn't have.

I don't know about you, I wish SEGA would have not made that deal, at all. I agree unless SEGA has the ability to port the game after x amount of time, this will probably be the last Bayonetta game.

It would be the last one anyway because if the Xbox 360/PS3 owners actually bought Bayonetta in large enough numbers to begin with, Sega wouldn't have cancelled and sold off the series.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:49:00 am by Ben »