Author Topic: New Yakuza  (Read 266848 times)

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: New Yakuza
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2014, 09:37:24 am »
That's fair.

Well, I imagine the Alien game will be reasonably successful; likewise with the next Total War, Football Manager and whatever Relic is making. I imagine as the generation continues, Sega's PC output will become more impressive. The western end of the company, from what I can tell, hasn't been this strong since the mid 1990s.

I'm not sure what to think about the Japanese market. From what I can tell, they're making all the right moves. They've had several reasonable hits on the mobile market, PSO 2 has had, what, 2 million downloads - probably quite a bit more since that report came out. That's definitely helping that brand's awareness. Despite it getting stale, the Yakuza games are still doing quite well. It's about to celebrate its tenth birthday, no?

Japanese arcades are about dead, and I think Sega's still adapting to that. The company doesn't really have too much experience with games that last more than 5 hours and its becoming harder to justify asking consumers to spend 50 dollars on something like a Daytona game.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2014, 08:22:57 pm »
Nagoshi didn't just make YAKUZA games in his heyday. Yet he's become lazy, too corporate and not really using anything to his real ability.

But hasn't he always sorta done this? How many Monkey Ball games did he make? Tons.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 04:18:00 am »
But hasn't he always sorta done this? How many Monkey Ball games did he make? Tons.

Yes but that's when he started to become important to the company and the company wanted more SMB games. Like they would have wanted more specific games from a particular Sega team if its really succesful and doesn't cost much to make.Not sure how activly involved he was with all of the sequels though,only think he was involved in the first three..could be wrong on that..

Offline ROJM

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2014, 06:32:43 am »
That's fair.

Well, I imagine the Alien game will be reasonably successful; likewise with the next Total War, Football Manager and whatever Relic is making. I imagine as the generation continues, Sega's PC output will become more impressive. The western end of the company, from what I can tell, hasn't been this strong since the mid 1990s.

I'm not sure what to think about the Japanese market. From what I can tell, they're making all the right moves. They've had several reasonable hits on the mobile market, PSO 2 has had, what, 2 million downloads - probably quite a bit more since that report came out. That's definitely helping that brand's awareness. Despite it getting stale, the Yakuza games are still doing quite well. It's about to celebrate its tenth birthday, no?

Japanese arcades are about dead, and I think Sega's still adapting to that. The company doesn't really have too much experience with games that last more than 5 hours and its becoming harder to justify asking consumers to spend 50 dollars on something like a Daytona game.

Sega is always adapting to something..i just wish they took the lead a little bit more rather than assimilate to the industry demands. Yes they're doing well on digital and PC but they either doing the exact kinda thing everyone else is doing or buying a studio that already is doing well on that field they want to go into like PC. I want Sega to just shake things up by producing a game once in a while that everyone will say wow...and everybody else tries to copy but can't get it exactly right..

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2014, 08:49:09 am »
Sega is always adapting to something..i just wish they took the lead a little bit more rather than assimilate to the industry demands. Yes they're doing well on digital and PC but they either doing the exact kinda thing everyone else is doing or buying a studio that already is doing well on that field they want to go into like PC. I want Sega to just shake things up by producing a game once in a while that everyone will say wow...and everybody else tries to copy but can't get it exactly right..

I have very high hopes the Alien game will do that. I'm hardly an expert, but the tech involved seems very impressive - referencing the AI. It's thinking. Really a pity they aren't thinking about making the full game with occulus rift. I imagine Sega will be smart enough to adapt the Alien tech to other games though.

I'm not sure to what extent you consider Creative Assembly part of Sega, though, I suppose. If successful, I hope they're able to continue stepping out of the RTS genre.

I don't think we'll be seeing too many "wow" games from Sega Japan this generation. There really just isn't any new blood in the company.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2014, 10:35:04 am »
They'll be making YAKUZA way after Kiryu's a pensioner or worse when he's dead...

I would play a Yakuza game where Kiryu cleans up the nursing home of retired criminals.
"Hey you're a lucky guy! Lucky in that you get to give me your back medication!"
*VS Retired Yakuza*

Then you beat them up with walking frames and the heat move near a bed is to throw them into it then press the 'Bed Rise' button to launch them into the TV hanging from the ceiling.

Oh, and @BEN: I still remember you as ShadowLegend, but that's neither here nor there. You mention Yakuza games not being 'Creative' but I argue that while there is definitely merit in being creative and making 'new' ideas, I also think there's almost/equal enjoyment and challenge involved in refining and perfecting a series. Yakuza games consistently are released as high quality titles and each one adds new features and new ideas that build the underlying gameplay. I personally would have no issue whatsoever playing Yakuza games on and on with the same basic gameplay, but refined combat, more moves, more mini-games and more fun overall. I have no doubt that there is a big challenge involved in 'how can we improve this already very highly regarded series'.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:40:33 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2014, 12:44:08 pm »
I have very high hopes the Alien game will do that. I'm hardly an expert, but the tech involved seems very impressive - referencing the AI. It's thinking. Really a pity they aren't thinking about making the full game with occulus rift. I imagine Sega will be smart enough to adapt the Alien tech to other games though.

I'm not sure to what extent you consider Creative Assembly part of Sega, though, I suppose. If successful, I hope they're able to continue stepping out of the RTS genre.

I don't think we'll be seeing too many "wow" games from Sega Japan this generation. There really just isn't any new blood in the company.

The same way Visual Concepts was part of Sega. A sega 1.5 studio or i just prefer to say Sega west as its easier, especially when in sega history sega had their own western studios from the eighties, to the nineties and now in this period.

As for wow games...yes because they did change tactic but they didn't abandon consoles entirely or this ALIEN game would not have been made. They need to adjust to how console game are made if they want to go toe to toe with the best of them. Maybe Creative Assembly console division is what they need to build original new ip for the west..and new ideas from Sega japan consumer division too..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:35:06 am by ROJM »

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2014, 11:46:52 am »
Questions aside, there is a new information about the next entry in the series.

The game is going to be revealed this 28/08 at 21:00 hs Japan Time/ 5:00 PDT/ 7:00 EST-CDT / 9:00 My time :)

Just in time before TGS for gaining expectation.

http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/newtitle/

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2014, 04:50:34 pm »
Aki must be a little excited about this XD.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2014, 12:13:45 pm »
Well compared to the last one this one had better be pretty amazing.
We don't need any more naked tatood men facing each other on roof tops and then jumping off the building die hard style from an explosion....

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2014, 12:21:40 pm »
We don't need any more naked tatood men facing each other on roof tops and then jumping off the building die hard style from an explosion....

Shirtless tattooed men fighting eachother is the primary reason for playing Yakuza games though

Offline ROJM

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2014, 12:35:17 pm »
Shirtless tattooed men fighting eachother is the primary reason for playing Yakuza games though

Maybe at first..but since this is spinning from the Yakuza genre from the movies and books there's dozens of scanrios that they could use where it doesn't have to end the same way..i mean where are the Yakuza women for gods sake. I use to watch tons of films about female yakuza herorines. That's something i'm suprised they haven't even gone into.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2014, 12:52:12 pm »
Yes I am excited for Yakuza next, but after the ending to Yakuza 5, I'm just not sure where the plot can go.

Of course a game starring Joji and Kazama set before Kiryu would be great too, always loved both characters and would love to have a game starring them and showing the old crew (Shimano, Kasawagi, Sera etc) and how the Toji Clan came to be.

Maaaang, there is like over 4 shirtless fights in Yakuza 5, you should give it a go! Go go go!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2014, 01:00:50 pm »
Maaaang, there is like over 4 shirtless fights in Yakuza 5, you should give it a go! Go go go!
But I don't speak moon-runes.

I wanted to say something angsty about not buying it on principle and down with Sega ra-ra-rah, but you know me too well to fall for that.

Also I have no consoles since I moved country so I couldn't play it on anything :x

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2014, 07:07:24 pm »

The team needs a break. Hell, even a new Super Monkey Ball would be a change of pace.