Author Topic: New Yakuza  (Read 266815 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: New Yakuza
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2014, 04:23:59 am »
Then you haven't PLAYED the game

Yes The demo, which like almost all Yakuza game demo's gives a great impression of what the finished game will be like as there's  very little changes in the graphics (Like for Yakuza, Kenzan, Yakuza IV demo's). 

Rubbish

The rainwater effect is Yakuza IV is very a basic fitter , that never changes not matter how much rains comes down there's no even real time reflections  , none of the characters clothes get wet either and the water effects in Kezan are the most basic piss poor ones I've seen in any major game on the PS3 . Yakuza games don't feature great lighting or water effects at all  in-game

You were harping about YAKUZA being outdated tech two years ago

No long before that in fact  . The tech in Yakuza III, Kezan and Part IV wasn't that great-no for a High end Big SEGA Japan production  . We saw a jump in the Tech for Yakuza V but that was only after the Team we given 2 years to make the game and we saw a big improvement in graphics . Trouble was other Teams pushed ahead with their tech too and so Yakuza V had trouble standing out when up against the likes of Assassin's Creed IV and so on .

What the one that tried to shut down SOA who was responsible for making Sega a household name

I think Sammy done a better job than anyone of killing SEGA America off with selling Visual Concepts and complete closing down their In-House studios and shedding loads of staff, leaving SOA just being a shell  . Looking over that .. I'll say that it was Sonic , SEGA Sprite scaliers  coin ups and the Mega Drive that really put SEGA on the map and that's all SEGA Japan.

i said RE, i never said RE 2.

RE 2 was leaps and bounds ahead of the RE on the PS anyways and that's the game it should be compared too since Deep Fear came out in 1998 like RE 2  . But if you want to compare a PS 1995 game to a Saturn 1998 game then fine . RE on the PS features better looking character models than either RE on the Saturn or Deep Fear on the Saturn 

VF1 was on model 1 which was still more powerful than what Namco was using

I know and like I said years back. Namco were clever in getting Tekken to run on the system 11 board as it was far cheaper and thus able to be sold to smaller Arcades and even been seen in pubs and take-aways . Tekken looked better  though and no-one will factor in the gluf in coin up spec's (other than the die hard gamers) people will just go on what they see . Shame as VF is a better game to play and control and also the Saturn version destroys the Arcade and Tekken for sound effects and one of the few games to make real use of the Saturn epic sound board (shame SEGA put low sound Ram in the unit) .

You said the engine was outdated and nothing used for it

The game engine is outdated and it clear to see. And really... you scraping the barrel saying that because Temco used SEGA facial scanning system for 'one' game that shows SEGA tech is amazing . Plenty of other studios have amazing facial tech systems , even small ones like our very own Ninja Theory here in the UK, never mind 2k, Bioware, Ubisoft , Capcom, Konami  and the like   

Pretty much every object has simple geometry except Sonic, you can find that in the trees and flowers

That's the case with almost any game and where they'll use simple graphics on the backgrounds, even in High games like Ryse on the XBox One or Forza II (which uses simple effects on the grass and trees  . And Sonic lighting effects are better than Yakuza's (well what lighting effects it has) and its basic shader effects and well the game looks better and a game for more fitting of a 360 and PS3 game and unlike Yakuza it's was developed to run on different platforms

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2014, 05:29:42 am »
Yawn..i don't care. You have no credibility left on this forum. So talk to yourself for all i care. I'm not carrying on nonsense with someone who judges an engine based on a demo and not the proper game..
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:34:09 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2014, 07:02:24 am »
'm not carrying on nonsense with someone who judges an engine based on a demo and not the proper game..

That's just for Yakuza V and the Ishi game on the PS4 . All the others I've played owned  and anyone who tries to make out that Deep Fear is better looking than RE clearly have't played both. Still to this day I doubt you've owned a Mega CD or Saturn , much less any of the 360 and PS3 games you talk about.

Let's have a look at your gamer tags on both platforms, I bet you don't even own Sonic Gen or Sonic Unleashed for starters . But by all means hit back with insults and the like
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2014, 08:51:47 am »
blagh blah blah

Keep at it. You're the one basing a whole engine on a demo and not the full game. Keep trolling the topic with walls of pointless texts and attacks. You were just found out as the fraud you are.

Now i expect you're reply will be another 20,000 word essay on the fall of sega why you are more sega than anyone else and why sammy is this and that and all knida nonsense...except for actually answering the point made to you. Later i want to talk about sega, not nonsense that revolves around you.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #229 on: September 28, 2014, 02:52:15 am »
Keep at it. You're the one basing a whole engine on a demo and not the full game

Yes for 2 games . All the others I've owned or played . What's your gamer tag then for the Wii U, PS and XBox ?

Come on lets compare games and we'll see who's owned and played what .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #230 on: September 28, 2014, 11:52:48 am »
How sad you have become. You got found out yet again and can't take it. What a joke. A demo...makes you an expert on the new engine HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAHAHAHAA! Go away TA and waste someone else's time.

I'm not gonna waste it on you anymore. Good day.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #231 on: September 29, 2014, 05:48:26 am »
So no gamer tag's then ? . Says it all , I really doubt you own much less played any for the last few Sonic games
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #232 on: September 29, 2014, 10:40:11 am »
That's the case with almost any game and where they'll use simple graphics on the backgrounds, even in High games like Ryse on the XBox One or Forza II (which uses simple effects on the grass and trees  . And Sonic lighting effects are better than Yakuza's (well what lighting effects it has) and its basic shader effects and well the game looks better and a game for more fitting of a 360 and PS3 game and unlike Yakuza it's was developed to run on different platforms

You've demonstrated you do not grasp the core points when it comes to discussing graphics so why do you insist to talk with me? The Hedgehog Engine uses baked lighting and simple geometry for the majority of the level, not just one or two places. It's not impressive and it shows by how the media were just not amazed by it in anyway.

And your final point is incorrect as the Yakuza engine now runs on the Binary Domain engine, which has shown that it works on both platforms. SEGA does not have one impressive engine at their current disposal EXCEPT The Creative Assembly's Alien game, even when the Hedgehog Engine was first unveiled it just was not generating any type of hype, however Alien: Isolation is.

But I'm not... I'm talking about a game that doesn't look jarring and dated. If you can make a beautiful game on an old engine then all the power too you. Sonic Generations, maxed out on PC looks fantastic. If that's due to the engine power or the art direction means nothing, all I care about is the game looking good... Which it damn well does.

The original discussion was about the technical prowess (Or rather lack of) Sonic Team and the Hedgehog Engine does not demonstrate that. Binary Domain, which is the engine Yakuza 5, Ishin! and Zero runs on, looks better than Sonic Generations on PC with max settings.

But the point is the Hedgehog Engine is not a great engine. Alien: Isolation on the otherhand...

Yakuza I'm constantly going, 'that looks weird' 'whats up with the lighting in this place?'

Are you talking about Kenzan! 3, 4 and Dead Souls or 5, Ishin! and Zero?

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #233 on: September 29, 2014, 11:19:38 am »
The Hedgehog Engine uses baked lighting and simple geometry for the majority of the level, not just one or two places. It's not impressive and it shows by how the media were just not amazed by it in anyway.

The media ?

Here's what Eurogame had to say on the visuals

The 2D levels are certainly superior, full of tricky and satisfying platform sequences and beautiful visuals,

CVG

Watching old-school Sonic zip around his new beautifully reimagined Rube Goldberg-ian playgrounds and MC Escher-esque mazes is pure delight, with SEGA finally managing to perfectly recapture what made this franchise so fun to begin with after years of missed attempts. Classic Sonic's new 3D character model (based on his original sprite-base origins) has an adorable, almost claymation-like appearance. You speed through stages, traverse careful platforming sections, and break open item boxes as if it were 1991 and you're still going nuts over "blast processing" and Jaleel White's voice acting.

Gamer TM

You can choose to play as either Sonic, and each gets his own version of every playable zone, but those zones are neither strictly 2D nor 3D. They’re a true blend of styles that make excellent use of modern technology to re-present familiar locations, and though one does lean slightly closer to a side-scroller and the other to on-rails headlong rushes, the distinction has more to do with the handling model of each hedgehog.

Even the likes of EDGE praised Sonic Gen graphics . In fact most media was impressed with the graphics - just some would highlight some of the frame rate issues as the only bad parts

The Creative Assembly's Alien game, even when the Hedgehog Engine was first unveiled it just was not generating any type of hype, however Alien: Isolation is.

CA tech as never been in question they've always had great PC Pipe lines and sure the game looks amazing and getting some hype (helps when you have a big license). It's SEGA Japan that's issue here, I mean its not like many of the press are hyping up any of SEGA Japan games or their tech.   

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #234 on: September 29, 2014, 11:48:58 am »
Here's what Eurogame had to say on the visuals

Nothing that shows much admiration for the graphics with a throw away line.

CVG

Your source is incorrect, it is IGN, this is what they had to say in the end;

Graphics = 7.5
Looks great in motion, but not as nice when everything stops. Framerate issues pop up somewhat regularly.
For comparison Yakuza 3 got a 8 for graphics and Yakuza 4 got 7 and Sonic Unleashed graphics got 6.5, so the Hedgehog Engine did not impress this particular media outlet.

Gamer TM

This again is not from Games TM but NowGamer.

Even the likes of EDGE praised Sonic Gen graphics . In fact most media was impressed with the graphics - just some would highlight some of the frame rate issues as the only bad parts

Using this same simple distinction you're using "The graphics look nice and do their job." we could apply the same logic with Yakuza. The graphics are okay, no one had their jaws on the floor, even here only the Sonic Team fanboys were impressed by it, everyone else realised the engine was not anything impressive.

CA tech as never been in question they've always had great PC Pipe lines and sure the game looks amazing and getting some hype (helps when you have a big license). It's SEGA Japan that's issue here, I mean its not like many of the press are hyping up any of SEGA Japan games or their tech.   

Of course not, but the Hedgehog Engine is not impressive tech even in 2008, many people here realised how average the tech was back then, let alone 2011 and it shows with every screenshot you can provide.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #235 on: September 29, 2014, 11:55:41 am »
I just now remembered having a massive argument about how Hedgehog Engine was special because it could have Sonic moving quickly through levels. I countered by saying that Burnout Paradise did the same thing, BUT THAT'S DIFFERENT BECAUSE IT'S A CAR AND NOT A HEDGEHOG.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #236 on: September 29, 2014, 11:58:58 am »
I just now remembered having a massive argument about how Hedgehog Engine was special because it could have Sonic moving quickly through levels. I countered by saying that Burnout Paradise did the same thing, BUT THAT'S DIFFERENT BECAUSE IT'S A CAR AND NOT A HEDGEHOG.

How did you not have an aneurism after receiving an answer like that? O.O

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #237 on: September 29, 2014, 12:04:57 pm »

Oh man, I remember that. When you actually compare the two side by side (60 fps v 30 fps, low levels of pop up, similar level of interactions) it just becomes clear the Hedgehog Engine is just not the industry standard.

(Psssst remember how computer's learn how to translate too?)

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #238 on: September 29, 2014, 12:22:40 pm »
Nothing that shows much admiration for the graphics with a throw away line.

Euro also said this

The re-imagined 2D levels offer beautiful new takes on classic visuals.

For comparison Yakuza 3 got a 8 for graphics and Yakuza 4 got 7 and Sonic Unleashed graphics got 6.5, so the Hedgehog Engine did not impress this particular media outlet.

IGN were full of praise for the day time sections for the graphics . It was the Nighttime part they had issues with and IGN . No that it changes the fact that most of the media were full praise for Sonic Gen graphics

Of course not, but the Hedgehog Engine is not impressive tech even in 2008,

The day time sections looked great and Sonic Generations looks stunning to this day . The Sonic Team/PSO Team seems to be the only ones with decent graphics pipe-lines these days . Yakuza Kezan in contrast was poor and really wasn't that impressed with Yakuza 3 or IV in-game graphics . Part V was a nice improvement but seeing Yakuza on the PS4 using the same old tech is a huge letdown for me and I expected better from SEGA Japan 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #239 on: September 29, 2014, 12:40:48 pm »
Oh man, I remember that. When you actually compare the two side by side (60 fps v 30 fps, low levels of pop up, similar level of interactions) it just becomes clear the Hedgehog Engine is just not the industry standard.

(Psssst remember how computer's learn how to translate too?)

I agree, the engine didn't seem all that special at the time, it seems evident now that nobody actually licensed it for use (unless I'm mistaken?)

Also, yes, I do.
I also remember that games with complex animations cause lag online)