Author Topic: New Yakuza  (Read 272936 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: New Yakuza
« Reply #240 on: September 29, 2014, 10:42:59 pm »
Oh god, I remember that Burnout vs Sonic Generation argument, I was so angry.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #241 on: September 30, 2014, 12:07:27 am »
Is it bad that I never finished Sonic Unleashed?
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #242 on: September 30, 2014, 03:52:28 am »
Oh god, I remember that Burnout vs Sonic Generation argument, I was so angry.

Me too it was just silly . Even some driving games can't really be compared to each other as their engines are having to handle various different things . I can see why Codemasters F1 games runs at 30 fps and some other racers can handle 60 fsp and even in you look at Burnout Paradise,  Crierion next racing games (need for Speed) all run at 30 fps on the PS3 and 360.

It not just as simple as both games are fast

Is it bad that I never finished Sonic Unleashed

No because the last level is a complete bitch to finish and far too hard for its own good

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #243 on: September 30, 2014, 04:49:28 am »
Nothing that shows much admiration for the graphics with a throw away line.

Your source is incorrect, it is IGN, this is what they had to say in the end;
For comparison Yakuza 3 got a 8 for graphics and Yakuza 4 got 7 and Sonic Unleashed graphics got 6.5, so the Hedgehog Engine did not impress this particular media outlet.

This again is not from Games TM but NowGamer.

Using this same simple distinction you're using "The graphics look nice and do their job." we could apply the same logic with Yakuza. The graphics are okay, no one had their jaws on the floor, even here only the Sonic Team fanboys were impressed by it, everyone else realised the engine was not anything impressive.

Of course not, but the Hedgehog Engine is not impressive tech even in 2008, many people here realised how average the tech was back then, let alone 2011 and it shows with every screenshot you can provide.

Yet he has provided no links to see what they were saying in context. And it also doesn't prove that the YAKUZA engine is outdated either. Out of those sources only Edge is considered trustworthy since they are actual gaming journalists. Eurogamer is just a bigger version of Segabitsv and Kotaku. And since they thought VIKING BATTLE FOR ASGARD was crap their opinion holds little water. Funny since TA caught himself out with saying he's played only the demo he has diverted attention to the hedgehog engine as being the best example of a new engine..when it isn't. If you want to see a good example of a game engine at work , look at BORDER BREAK...which is miles better than the Hedgehog engine in terms of power.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #244 on: September 30, 2014, 08:34:30 am »
Is it bad that I never finished Sonic Unleashed?
No the game was mostly rubbish with some good bits. The last level was retarded and the last boss was beyond retardation. It was like some Mega Zord ancient Inca temple flying into space fuck my life why did I bother finishing that game just shoot me now

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #245 on: September 30, 2014, 08:42:57 am »
Euro also said this

IGN were full of praise for the day time sections for the graphics . It was the Nighttime part they had issues with and IGN . No that it changes the fact that most of the media were full praise for Sonic Gen graphics

The same level of praise of Yakuza, that outdated series you speak about, got for it's graphics. Unless the media is leaking with excitement, a throw away line about presentation is not being impressed with the graphics.

The day time sections looked great and Sonic Generations looks stunning to this day . The Sonic Team/PSO Team seems to be the only ones with decent graphics pipe-lines these days .

Keep living a dream. The fact you don't think a racing game can be compared with Sonic Generations which has almost the same level of interaction shows how little you know about gaming engines. By all means try to prove the Hedgehog Engine is "good" but all you've done is strengthen my points and weaken yours by showing off baked lighting and simple geometry in the models through out Sonic Generations.

No the game was mostly rubbish with some good bits. The last level was retarded and the last boss was beyond retardation. It was like some Mega Zord ancient Inca temple flying into space fuck my life why did I bother finishing that game just shoot me now

This was the game's credit song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEGKcWHqhZQ

Terrifying...

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #246 on: September 30, 2014, 09:28:42 am »
Haha. I remember Ben being really into this game at the time of release. I'm really glad i didn't put the effort in getting through the Werehog levels.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #247 on: September 30, 2014, 09:51:49 am »
The same level of praise of Yakuza, that outdated series you speak about, got
for it's graphics. Unless the media is leaking with excitement, a throw away
line about presentation is not being impressed with the graphics.

Ouch!

Keep living a dream. The fact you don't think a racing game can be compared with Sonic Generations which has almost the same level of interaction shows how little you know about gaming engines. By all means try to prove the Hedgehog Engine is "good" but all you've done is strengthen my points and weaken yours by showing off baked lighting and simple geometry in the models through out Sonic Generations.

Bravo, Bravo, That's telling him sir...BRAVO!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #248 on: September 30, 2014, 09:54:34 am »
Haha. I remember Ben being really into this game at the time of release. I'm really glad i didn't put the effort in getting through the Werehog levels.

Ben taste in games and I are not on speaking terms.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #249 on: September 30, 2014, 10:11:31 am »

I thought it was overall decent until I found out needed medals to progress. Such a dumb idea.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2014, 10:35:00 am »
The same level of praise of Yakuza, that outdated series you speak about, got for it's graphics.

Hey you tried to make out the media didn't like Sonic graphics I just pointed out otherwise . I think most of the media were praising Sonic Gen graphics more than Yakuza IV.

The fact you don't think a racing game can be compared with Sonic Generations which has almost the same level of interaction

No you can't  Platform games and driving games are totally different and share little in common. Just because you race though 'some' of the Sonic levels does not mean you can compare it to a racer. There's plenty of speed runs for many a 3D platform game like Crash , Mario  but I'll not compare them to a racer. I thought the Sonic Adv II engine was nice , but not really about to compare it to Sega GT  and you go on about 30 vs 60 fps. Maybe you'll care to explain why Criterion games made after Paradise all run at 30 fps on the PS3 and 360 ?

By all means try to prove the Hedgehog Engine is "good" but all you've done is strengthen my points and weaken yours by showing off baked lighting and simple geometry in the models through out Sonic Generations

I'm just saying it looks better than Yakuza a game which as simple geometry on the backgrounds and not the best lighting effects in-game  . You and Joe might be happy with SEGA Japan current output , outdated engines and focus on Mobile I'm not and its sad to see SEGA Japan sliding behind the rest

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2014, 10:41:41 am »
No you can't  Platform games and driving games are totally different and share little in common. Just because you race though 'some' of the Sonic levels does not mean you can compare it to a racer. There's plenty of speed runs for many a 3D platform game like Crash , Mario  but I'll not compare them to a racer. I thought the Sonic Adv II engine was nice , but not really about to compare it to Sega GT  and you go on about 30 vs 60 fps. Maybe you'll care to explain why Criterion games made after Paradise all run at 30 fps on the PS3 and 360 ?

What CAN we compare Sonic Unleashed to?

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2014, 10:56:06 am »
Hey you tried to make out the media didn't like Sonic graphics I just pointed out otherwise . I think most of the media were praising Sonic Gen graphics more than Yakuza IV.

I said they were not impressed. And the praise for Yakuza 3's graphics was greater than that of Sonic Unleashed.

Learn to format properly. Is it so hard?

And that's a shame you will not compare it to a racer, I guess we can't compare the engine of F-Zero and Monkey Ball because they are different genres. Oh wait we can since it's the same engine.

You can absolutely compare two engines and make a call which is better because IT IS that simple. You say they share little in common but that's true only in genre. The engine itself can easily be compared, because there isn't many differences between the two at the engine level.

I'm just saying it looks better than Yakuza a game which as simple geometry on the backgrounds and not the best lighting effects in-game  . You and Joe might be happy with SEGA Japan current output , outdated engines and focus on Mobile I'm not and its sad to see SEGA Japan sliding behind the rest

Yakuza has better geometry than Sonic Generations. That's not the point, the point is the Hedgehog Engine is not a great engine or something you believe impresses people.

Again you project what you think either myself or Joe are like, when me and Joe have made our stances clear several times where we stand. But please continue to have imaginary debates in your head and leave me out of it if this your style of debate.

What CAN we compare Sonic Unleashed to?

Sonic Colours, Generations and Lost World obviously.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2014, 10:56:33 am »
I liked the end credits bit in Unleashed where you saw Tails flying above and Sonic running below and Endless Possibility played, had a nice classic vibe to it - just Sonic and Tails. ;_;

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2014, 11:03:44 am »
Learn to format properly. Is it so hard?

Usually I would agree with you, but this forum is jank as FUCK.