Author Topic: SEGA VS Fighting Games - "Better run home to mama now!"  (Read 169704 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: SEGA VS Fighting Games - "Better run home to mama now!"
« Reply #510 on: April 30, 2022, 12:44:05 am »
SEGA Talk Podcast #95: Eternal Champions (1993)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYfRGfKpK0

Welcome to the world of Eternal Champions, we’ll be your guides as we look at the creation of SEGA’s answer to Mortal Kombat, talk about the characters in the game, talk about the 7-Eleven Slurpee promotions, spin-offs, and even cancelled games!

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2022/04/29/sega-talk-podcast-95-eternal-champions-1993/

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #511 on: May 01, 2022, 06:42:38 am »
Y'know Sega has a few fighting games that have really fallen in the gaps of the sofa.

For example, Burning Rival. I never heard of it until yesterday. You'd think they would recycle some of those fighters for Virtua Fighter or if Sega ever collab with Capcom on a Street Fighter game.

Offline Berto

« Reply #512 on: May 01, 2022, 08:14:41 am »
The Unofficial SEGA-centric Fan Event Returns After 4 Years; Sonic & SEGA Fan Jam REMIX Event & Kickstarter Pre-Sale Dates Details

While previous events took place in Savannah, GA, over the years, this year’s event will take place in Marietta, Georgia at the Hilton Atlanta/Marietta & Conference Center on Saturday, November 12th with a Kickstarter badge pre-sale launching on Tuesday, May 17th with amazing reward tiers.
 Here are the guests announced for the event so far: Corey Marshall (Shenmue), Eric Kelso (Virtua Fighter, Shenmue, F-Zero GX), Lisle Wilkerson (Virtua Fighter, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue), ...

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2022/04/29/the-unofficial-sega-centric-fan-event-returns-after-8-years-sonic-sega-fan-jam-remix-event-kickstarter-pre-sale-dates-details/

Offline Berto

« Reply #513 on: May 01, 2022, 08:19:27 am »
Y'know Sega has a few fighting games that have really fallen in the gaps of the sofa.

For example, Burning Rival. I never heard of it until yesterday. You'd think they would recycle some of those fighters for Virtua Fighter or if Sega ever collab with Capcom on a Street Fighter game.

I've checked all of SEGA fighting games that I put on first page of this thread,
some of them I played on MAME emulator,
and trust me Burning Rival is really not worth our time.
It's bland, uninteresting, and I'm even sure Yu Suzuki wanted us to forget that game ever existed.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #514 on: May 01, 2022, 09:32:04 am »
I've checked all of SEGA fighting games that I put on first page of this thread,
some of them I played on MAME emulator,
and trust me Burning Rival is really not worth our time.
It's bland, uninteresting, and I'm even sure Yu Suzuki wanted us to forget that game ever existed.
Some of those listed games were third-party than Sega, such as Power Instincts. And Guilty Gear was the step-child that was reluctantly included in the marriage and cut ties at X2.

Burning Rivals is ugly, but still Sega.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N0yXGVWS1Y

Offline Berto

« Reply #515 on: May 02, 2022, 10:11:49 am »
Some of those listed games were third-party than Sega,

No no no, all of those games are published by SEGA (and Atlus).
None on the list are published by third party.
If they are developed by other companies,
it would meant the developer was second party since it's published by SEGA,
not third party.

If I include third party games like Mortal Kombat 1,2,3 on Genesis
Or KOF series, Street Fighter Alpha 1,2,3, Darkstalkers, and Marvel vs series on Saturn & Dreamcast
the list would be tenfold,
lot lot longer than right now.

... such as Power Instincts.

Power Instincts was Atlus games.
Now that Atlus is part of SEGA, Power Instincts became SEGA's franchise.
It became a first party game now.

And Guilty Gear was the step-child that was reluctantly included in the marriage and cut ties at X2.

Arcade version of Guilty Gear series are all published by SEGA.
Arcade games being published by SEGA in Japan gave it more visibility since SEGA used to have hundred of arcade centers.
Even when Nintendo want to publish arcade games they chose SEGA (Luigi's Mansion, Rhythm Heaven, Pokemon Corogarena).

Burning Rivals is ugly, but still Sega.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N0yXGVWS1Y

Yeah, but remember when SEGA release mini arcade with built-in arcade games?
It didn't include Burning Rabger.
It include Dark Edge instead.
Now that's a SEGA fighting game that I could enjoy.

The reason why there were few VS fighting games from SEGA is because SEGA of Japan always rejected all ideas of it after Virtua Fighter was released.
Eternal Champions was planned to be trilogy with Eternal Champions: The Final Chapter should have been published by SEGA of America for Sega Saturn.
But the game was forcefully canceled by Sega of Japan, seeing the game as competition for the Saturn version of Virtua Fighter.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #516 on: May 02, 2022, 05:06:38 pm »
No no no, all of those games are published by SEGA (and Atlus).
None on the list are published by third party.
If they are developed by other companies,
it would meant the developer was second party since it's published by SEGA,
not third party.

If I include third party games like Mortal Kombat 1,2,3 on Genesis
Or KOF series, Street Fighter Alpha 1,2,3, Darkstalkers, and Marvel vs series on Saturn & Dreamcast
the list would be tenfold,
lot lot longer than right now.

Power Instincts was Atlus games.
Now that Atlus is part of SEGA, Power Instincts became SEGA's franchise.
It became a first party game now.

Arcade version of Guilty Gear series are all published by SEGA.
Arcade games being published by SEGA in Japan gave it more visibility since SEGA used to have hundred of arcade centers.
Even when Nintendo want to publish arcade games they chose SEGA (Luigi's Mansion, Rhythm Heaven, Pokemon Corogarena).

A bit confusing, but I think I understand.
Yeah, but remember when SEGA release mini arcade with built-in arcade games?
It didn't include Burning Rabger.
It include Dark Edge instead.
Now that's a SEGA fighting game that I could enjoy.

The reason why there were few VS fighting games from SEGA is because SEGA of Japan always rejected all ideas of it after Virtua Fighter was released.
Eternal Champions was planned to be trilogy with Eternal Champions: The Final Chapter should have been published by SEGA of America for Sega Saturn.
But the game was forcefully canceled by Sega of Japan, seeing the game as competition for the Saturn version of Virtua Fighter.

It's kind of understandable in a sense. I mean when Street Fighter came out it revolutionized the fighting genre and fighting games wanted to be like it, thus an era of Street Fighter knock-offs. Games like Dark Edge and Eternal Champions maybe their own thing but were still clones of Street Fighter. But Sega had the technology to revolutionize the fighting genre themselves giving it a whole new depth with Virtua Fighter. While perhaps extreme to cancel Eternal Champions over Virtua Fighter Sega knew Virtua Fighter would be their flagship fighting franchise entirely original to themselves and likely figured it would look uncouth to continue ripping-off Street Fighter over it.

Now there's games like Tekken, Dead or Alive and SoulCalibur, games regarded better than Virtua Fighter despite the fact these games were knock-off to Virtua Fighter.

So in a sense, Sega didn't want a knock-off of Street Fighter to represent Sega in the fighting game market, but Bandai Namco and Tecmo practically built their careers off knock-off Virtua Fighter games and overtaken the original out of it.

Offline Berto

« Reply #517 on: May 03, 2022, 10:18:17 am »
It's kind of understandable in a sense. I mean when Street Fighter came out it revolutionized the fighting genre and fighting games wanted to be like it, thus an era of Street Fighter knock-offs. Games like Dark Edge and Eternal Champions maybe their own thing but were still clones of Street Fighter. But Sega had the technology to revolutionize the fighting genre themselves giving it a whole new depth with Virtua Fighter. While perhaps extreme to cancel Eternal Champions over Virtua Fighter Sega knew Virtua Fighter would be their flagship fighting franchise entirely original to themselves and likely figured it would look uncouth to continue ripping-off Street Fighter over it.

Now there's games like Tekken, Dead or Alive and SoulCalibur, games regarded better than Virtua Fighter despite the fact these games were knock-off to Virtua Fighter.

So in a sense, Sega didn't want a knock-off of Street Fighter to represent Sega in the fighting game market, but Bandai Namco and Tecmo practically built their careers off knock-off Virtua Fighter games and overtaken the original out of it.
Street Fighter II did revolutione fighting game genre,but the first Street Fighter didn't.

They didn't do it in the first try and I think Tekken and DoA also didn't do it in the first try.
But they kept trying and trying and trying...meanwhile Virtua Fighter stopped at five.
It's still SEGA's fault that the knock-off surpased them at some point.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #518 on: May 03, 2022, 04:32:23 pm »
Street Fighter II did revolutione fighting game genre,but the first Street Fighter didn't.

They didn't do it in the first try and I think Tekken and DoA also didn't do it in the first try.
But they kept trying and trying and trying...meanwhile Virtua Fighter stopped at five.
It's still SEGA's fault that the knock-off surpased them at some point.
I forget which Street Fighter game was the revolutionized one. Didn't street Fighter 2 had like a dozen variations and re releases? I dunno.
But yeah if Virtua Fighter simply had a story mode it would perhaps hold more of a candle with Tekken, or at least Dead or Alive. Either way Sega didn't wanted to be known for knock-off Street Fighter II games while Bandai Namco and Tecmo are known for their knock-off Virtua Fighter games that are regarded the successor series to Virtua Fighter.

Offline Berto

« Reply #519 on: May 09, 2022, 08:35:23 pm »
I forget which Street Fighter game was the revolutionized one. Didn't street Fighter 2 had like a dozen variations and re releases? I dunno.
But yeah if Virtua Fighter simply had a story mode it would perhaps hold more of a candle with Tekken, or at least Dead or Alive. Either way Sega didn't wanted to be known for knock-off Street Fighter II games while Bandai Namco and Tecmo are known for their knock-off Virtua Fighter games that are regarded the successor series to Virtua Fighter.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior of course.
The variation and rereleases are mostly just balancing or adding some new moves and characters.

The thing is Virtua Fighter games do have story in their manual books,
at least for each characters.
SEGA was just too lazy to put them in the game.
Their own mistakes for treating making console games like making arcade games.

Offline Berto

« Reply #520 on: May 09, 2022, 08:36:33 pm »
Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram is currently 60% off on the Japanese PS Store

Probably the best time to get into VOOT since PS4 launch.
Many new/returning players, resources more accessible, and game collection is currently 60% off on the Japanese PS Store.

Link : https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP0177-CUSA16156_00-VIRTUALONMP00000
About VOOT : https://wiki.gbl.gg/w/Virtual-On_Oratorio_Tangram
Source : https://twitter.com/soulguitarist/status/1523438889762914306?s=21

Offline Berto

« Reply #521 on: May 11, 2022, 09:38:55 pm »
Happy 27 Years Anniversary for SEGA Saturn !

Happy Birthday!
27 years ago, the Sega Saturn sees a surprise early launch in North America at E3 1995 with Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, Clockwork Knight, Sega International Victory Goal and Pebble Beach Golf Links

Source : https://www.facebook.com/sega.anthology

Offline Berto

« Reply #522 on: May 13, 2022, 01:17:07 am »
Mortal Kombat Creator Calls for Sega vs. Capcom Fighting Game

Ed Boon's comment on a potential crossover was prompted by a fan that shared artwork from the "Worlds Unite" storyline that took place in the Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comics published by Archie Comics in 2015.
Worlds Unite was a sequel to a previous crossover featuring Sonic and Mega Man, but this one brought in a number of additional characters owned by Sega and Capcom.
There was something really cool about seeing all of these icons interacting with one another, and it would be even cooler to see in a game. 

Article : https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/mortal-kombat-ed-boon-sega-vs-capcom-fighting-game-sonic-the-hedgehog/

Offline Berto

« Reply #523 on: May 16, 2022, 09:24:57 pm »
Happy 25 Years Anniversary for Groove On Fight: Gouketsuji Ichizoku 3 (Saturn) !

Happy 25th Anniversary!
In 1997, Groove On Fight: Gouketsuji Ichizoku 3 is released for the Sega Saturn in Japan.
Here's pic of cover & flyer.

Source : https://www.facebook.com/sega.anthology

Offline Berto

« Reply #524 on: May 18, 2022, 01:04:18 am »
Power Instinct Legends - All Super Moves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxnJEdXsYO0
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 08:43:06 pm by Berto »