Author Topic: SEGA VS Fighting Games - "Better run home to mama now!"  (Read 165975 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Re: SEGA VS Fighting Games - "Better run home to mama now!"
« Reply #720 on: September 16, 2022, 03:24:47 am »
DLC characters: Entertainment District version of Tanjiro Kamado, Zenitsu Agatsuma, and Inosuke Hashibira launch Today!

We are happy to announce that the
🥳🥳 "Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Hinokami Chronicles" 🥳🥳

- Tanjiro Kamado (Entertainment District),
- Zenitsu Agatsuma (Entertainment District) &
- Inosuke Hashibira (Entertainment District)

Character Pack is Now Available!

For more information feel free to check out the website below for the full information!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 09:03:55 pm by Berto »

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #721 on: September 16, 2022, 05:59:57 am »
He was ... in the college classes at least.
In school, teachers rarely mentioned about business and politic.
Many cases happened when big company owner would be simplified as an inventor and powerful politician would be as a national hero.

It's as easy as saying the first Sonic game was made by SEGA, not by the combined work of Naoto Ohshima, Yuji Naka, Hirokazu Yasuhara, Masato Nakamura, etc
I guess so. But those were the old days. Now he is credited as an inventory as well as credited for many inventions he did not really make. Such as the light bulb.

Offline Berto

« Reply #722 on: September 18, 2022, 09:23:50 pm »
I guess so. But those were the old days. Now he is credited as an inventory as well as credited for many inventions he did not really make. Such as the light bulb.

Because he patented the successful light bulb first.
So legally and documentally that's what it's wrote.
Investors also side with him since he's really good at communication.

What about others who make experiments about light bulb during those times (Swan, Woodward, Evans, Sawyer, and Man)?
They either joined Edison or sold the patents to Edison in the end after meeting with him.
Edison could manage to find investors who fund his testing to more than 6,000 plants to determine which material would burn the longest.
Others would have hard time to find investors who's willing to invest to those expensive experiments.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #723 on: September 20, 2022, 07:31:29 am »
Because he patented the successful light bulb first.
So legally and documentally that's what it's wrote.
Investors also side with him since he's really good at communication.

What about others who make experiments about light bulb during those times (Swan, Woodward, Evans, Sawyer, and Man)?
They either joined Edison or sold the patents to Edison in the end after meeting with him.
Edison could manage to find investors who fund his testing to more than 6,000 plants to determine which material would burn the longest.
Others would have hard time to find investors who's willing to invest to those expensive experiments.
Again, credit him as a business man, not an inventor.

If Edison Day really needs to be commemorate him despite how poorly he treated Tesla and other clients, at least honour him as a business man.

Offline Berto

« Reply #724 on: September 20, 2022, 08:59:45 pm »
Again, credit him as a business man, not an inventor.

If Edison Day really needs to be commemorate him despite how poorly he treated Tesla and other clients, at least honour him as a business man.

He did invent something though.
He did find material that would burn the longest for the light bulb,
the one that cost-efficient to use for general mass.
He did not invent the light bulb though,
that's the general mistake.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #725 on: September 21, 2022, 04:29:56 pm »
He did invent something though.
He did find material that would burn the longest for the light bulb,
the one that cost-efficient to use for general mass.
He did not invent the light bulb though,
that's the general mistake.
He did not find the material. That credit goes to Joseph Swan who discovered the use of cheap carbon as a cost efficient filament for light bulbs in 1878. Thomas Edison did however figured to use thinner filaments and better vacuums. So where credit is due he did figure out how to improve light bulbs for both both scientific and commercial use.

Offline Berto

« Reply #726 on: September 21, 2022, 11:59:38 pm »
He did not find the material. That credit goes to Joseph Swan who discovered the use of cheap carbon as a cost efficient filament for light bulbs in 1878. Thomas Edison did however figured to use thinner filaments and better vacuums. So where credit is due he did figure out how to improve light bulbs for both both scientific and commercial use.

I didn't say he found the material.
He did not find the material.
He did find material that would burn the longest for the light bulb.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #727 on: September 22, 2022, 06:28:24 am »
I didn't say he found the material.
He did find material that would burn the longest for the light bulb.
What you say is contradicting.

He did find material that would burn the longest.

Did Thomas Edison find new material that would last the longest? NO
Did Thomas Edison alter the existing materials to make them last longer and be marketable? YES

It was Joseph Swan who found carbon as a cheap alternative to light bulb filament. However this filament would still burn out after awhile.

What Thomas Edison did was to make the carbon filament thinner and looped it as well as vacuum seal the bulb more efficiently.

Thomas Edison invented the "Edison Light bulb" which is less of a brand new creation and more of an improvement on a concept that's been around since 1802. You can credit Thomas Edison for making marketable light bulbs which is indeed a scientific break through, but that still leans him towards being a businessman than a full-on inventor.

Offline Berto

« Reply #728 on: September 22, 2022, 08:15:14 pm »
What you say is contradicting.

He did find material that would burn the longest.

Did Thomas Edison find new material that would last the longest? NO
Did Thomas Edison alter the existing materials to make them last longer and be marketable? YES

It was Joseph Swan who found carbon as a cheap alternative to light bulb filament. However this filament would still burn out after awhile.

What Thomas Edison did was to make the carbon filament thinner and looped it as well as vacuum seal the bulb more efficiently.

Thomas Edison invented the "Edison Light bulb" which is less of a brand new creation and more of an improvement on a concept that's been around since 1802. You can credit Thomas Edison for making marketable light bulbs which is indeed a scientific break through, but that still leans him towards being a businessman than a full-on inventor.

May be I'm not good at wording them but I'm sure you get the point that I've been trying to do devil's advocate all this time since I myself didn't like Edison that much (even when he's played by one of my favorite actors in the movie).
My point is this is how general mass perceived at that time :

Let's say a father and kid were taking a look at light bulb.
Then the kid ask, "Dad, who invented the lamp?'
Most likely the father will simplify the answer by saying, "It's Edison, son" since the light bulb was produced by Edison Electric Illuminating Company.
This went on many decades so that Edison's name become a synonym for light bulb.
It's oversimplifying and it isn't true but it's understandable.

If my kids ask who created Toe Jam, Ecco the Dolphin, and Shenmue.
most likely I will simplify the answer by saying, "It's SEGA, son"
while the answers are supposed to be Greg Johnson & Mark Voorsanger, Ed Annunziata, and Yu Suzuki.
Or simplify the answers with Disney for Mickey, Donald, and Uncle Scrooge creator.

They are indeed a common mistakes but I can understand why it's like that and why it was hard to be fixed.

Offline Berto

« Reply #729 on: September 23, 2022, 03:48:20 am »
Share your "Tournament of Legends" memories for Upcoming SEGA Talk!

Share your Tournament of Legends memories for the upcoming Sega Talk!
Support Segabits on Patreon! Get early access, tell us what games to cover, and have your SEGA memories read at the end and more!

Link : https://www.patreon.com/posts/your-tournament-72261542

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #730 on: September 23, 2022, 08:33:40 am »
May be I'm not good at wording them but I'm sure you get the point that I've been trying to do devil's advocate all this time since I myself didn't like Edison that much (even when he's played by one of my favorite actors in the movie).
My point is this is how general mass perceived at that time :

Let's say a father and kid were taking a look at light bulb.
Then the kid ask, "Dad, who invented the lamp?'
Most likely the father will simplify the answer by saying, "It's Edison, son" since the light bulb was produced by Edison Electric Illuminating Company.
This went on many decades so that Edison's name become a synonym for light bulb.
It's oversimplifying and it isn't true but it's understandable.

If my kids ask who created Toe Jam, Ecco the Dolphin, and Shenmue.
most likely I will simplify the answer by saying, "It's SEGA, son"
while the answers are supposed to be Greg Johnson & Mark Voorsanger, Ed Annunziata, and Yu Suzuki.
Or simplify the answers with Disney for Mickey, Donald, and Uncle Scrooge creator.

They are indeed a common mistakes but I can understand why it's like that and why it was hard to be fixed.
I understand if it's simply over-simplifying an answer.

All I am saying is, give credit where credit is due. You do understand that the light bulb was not invented by Thomas Edison. He simply improved the design patent it. Thus he is a great businessman. Inventor not so much.

Offline Berto

« Reply #731 on: September 25, 2022, 09:13:14 pm »
I understand if it's simply over-simplifying an answer.

All I am saying is, give credit where credit is due. You do understand that the light bulb was not invented by Thomas Edison. He simply improved the design patent it. Thus he is a great businessman. Inventor not so much.

Yeah, that was back then, it's different now.
Thanks to the internet, nowadays Tesla is more well known and admired.
Even in the best selling manga "Record of Ragnarok" (there's also anime adaptation but still only season 1 for now),
they pick Tesla instead of Edison, Einstein, or Newton to represent humankind against Beelzebub, lord of the flies.

The story of "Record of Ragnarok" is about a tournament with 13 notable humans from across history against 13 of the most powerful gods engaging in duels to the death.
Humanity will be spared if their side achieves 7 victories in the competition.
If humans lose, the gods will decide that humans are irredeemable and must go extinct.

Those were the fighters from both human and god's side,
though there are some changes later in the middle of the story,
Buddha (who's a good friend of Confucius, Socrates, and Jesus) betrayed the gods and supported humans instead.
Hades also become one of the fighters from the god's side later replacing Buddha.

Here's the trailer of anime version :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XImWUxxUiCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atq12iFg0SE

Offline Berto

« Reply #732 on: September 26, 2022, 12:14:27 am »
Virtua Fighter's Graphics Are Responsible For Your Favourite Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1kXCu3tzOg

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #733 on: September 26, 2022, 07:49:25 pm »
Yeah, that was back then, it's different now.
Thanks to the internet, nowadays Tesla is more well known and admired.
Even in the best selling manga "Record of Ragnarok" (there's also anime adaptation but still only season 1 for now),
they pick Tesla instead of Edison, Einstein, or Newton to represent humankind against Beelzebub, lord of the flies.

The story of "Record of Ragnarok" is about a tournament with 13 notable humans from across history against 13 of the most powerful gods engaging in duels to the death.
Humanity will be spared if their side achieves 7 victories in the competition.
If humans lose, the gods will decide that humans are irredeemable and must go extinct.

Those were the fighters from both human and god's side,
though there are some changes later in the middle of the story,
Buddha (who's a good friend of Confucius, Socrates, and Jesus) betrayed the gods and supported humans instead.
Hades also become one of the fighters from the god's side later replacing Buddha.

Here's the trailer of anime version :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XImWUxxUiCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atq12iFg0SE
I might give that anime a go. Funny we we derailed a fighting thread to Tesla and Edison and now an anime about gods and humans fighting.

Reminds me a little of Super Science Friends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlybZHvj1og

Offline Berto

« Reply #734 on: September 26, 2022, 08:22:29 pm »
I might give that anime a go. Funny we we derailed a fighting thread to Tesla and Edison and now an anime about gods and humans fighting.

Reminds me a little of Super Science Friends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlybZHvj1og

Well.. It's back to VS Fighting again at least.
SEGA's Eternal Champions CFTDS has humans fought against gods too.
Well.. only two Gods (Eternal and Dark) but still...