Author Topic: SEGA VS Fighting Games - "Better run home to mama now!"  (Read 165924 times)

Offline Superglue

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: SEGA VS Fighting Games - "Better run home to mama now!"
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2021, 10:37:41 pm »
I know these are not Sega games, but which one of the big three do you like the best:

Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, or Tekken?

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2021, 12:32:31 am »
I know these are not Sega games, but which one of the big three do you like the best:

Definitely Street Fighter:-D

Street Fighter II was so big in my arcade center, and it was the reason I choose SEGA Mega Drive 2 over Super Famicom back then.
(because of its six buttons controller layout, other reasons : Golden Axe, Moonwalker).

Here is my collection of the franchise
(Not included in the pic are SFIV & SFV)

Offline Elni

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2021, 10:20:26 pm »

Street Fighter.
I don't like Mortal Kombat because of its overdose on violence.
The 16 bits Mortal Kombat were all right since the violence wasn't realistic enough, but the recent ones made me want to vomit.
No wonder the franchise never made to Japan again.
Tekken is okay, but too lazy to remember all the combos. Street Fighter's combos are easier to remember.

Offline Berto

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2021, 03:54:31 am »
Astro City Mini Review: The Perfect Way To End SEGA’s 60th Anniversary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mitvLFDWCcs

The years come and go, it is now 2021 and I finally put together a review for SEGA Toy’s Astro City Mini.
The unit has a lot of things going for it that makes it a must own device, but at the same time has some glaring flaws that we need to discuss.

Article: http://segabits.com/blog/2021/01/15/astro-city-mini-review-the-perfect-way-to-end-segas-60th-anniversary/

Offline Berto

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2021, 12:30:57 am »
Happy 20th Anniversary for Fighting Vipers 2 (DC) !!!

It's the 20th anniversary of Fighting Vipers 2 hitting the Dreamcast in Japan!
This sequel is featuring all the original cast plus two new characters: Charlie and Emi.
Mahler is also selectable from the start.

Link : https://segaretro.org/Fighting_Vipers_2

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2021, 03:55:33 am »
If Sega ever decides to make a Sega All-Stars fighting game, I hope they make it a direct sequel to Fighters Megamix and not knock-off Super Smash Bros.
Though that'll be the day Virtua Fighter actually has a fleshed out story mode for a change to compete with Tekken or DoA in lore-building.

Offline Berto

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2021, 01:17:54 am »
If Sega ever decides to make a Sega All-Stars fighting game, I hope they make it a direct sequel to Fighters Megamix and not knock-off Super Smash Bros.
Though that'll be the day Virtua Fighter actually has a fleshed out story mode for a change to compete with Tekken or DoA in lore-building.

I'm fine with anything they made, as long as they start to make it.
Fighters Megamix 2 would be best choice, but 2D like Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax is fine too, Akira and Selvaria was fun to play at that game.

Offline Berto

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2021, 01:20:45 am »
Virtua Fighter 2 is free on Steam in a promo by Games2Gether.
This giveaway is available until January 25

Head over to Games2Gether and create an account then login
Go to the Rewards section
Link Games2Gether with your Steam account to get the game for free
Make sure to check out all the other goodies that are also free (DLC’s, art, comics)

Article : https://www.indiegamebundles.com/get-segas-virtua-fighter-2-for-free-on-steam/

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2021, 10:18:11 am »
I'm fine with anything they made, as long as they start to make it.
Fighters Megamix 2 would be best choice, but 2D like Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax is fine too, Akira and Selvaria was fun to play at that game.
There is a fan game called Sonic Smackdown which fans say it's so good they wish Sega themselves would promote it.
Me, not so much. I mean it is good but Sega were the founders of the 3D fighting genre and I think they should stick with it.
Which is why it breaks my heart games like Tekken, DoA or SoulCalibur are regarded the better 3D fighters in comparison to the Virtua Fighters games.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:31:38 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2021, 12:33:35 am »
There is a fan game called Sonic Smackdown which fans say it's so good they wish Sega themselves would promote it.
Me, not so much. I mean it is good but Sega were the founders of the 3D fighting genre and I think they should stick with it.
Which is why it breaks my heart games like Tekken, DoA or SoulCalibur are regarded the better 3D fighters in comparison to the Virtua Fighters games.
Yeah. Virtua Fighter is the pioneer of 3D Fighting Games, the franchise should be kept alive like Sonic and Yakuza.
I hope Virtua Fighter x eSport become success enough to revive the franchise again.

Offline Berto

« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2021, 12:36:45 am »
Cyber Troopers Virtual On - Tanita Cup 2021 Livestreaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tif_mz6auU

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2021, 04:57:44 am »
Yeah. Virtua Fighter is the pioneer of 3D Fighting Games, the franchise should be kept alive like Sonic and Yakuza.
I hope Virtua Fighter x eSport become success enough to revive the franchise again.
I think the one thing Virtua Fighter series needs is a proper Story Mode. As far as I'm aware Virtua Fighter games (as well as Fighting Vipers) don't have a story mode. They have a story but it's the mostly the "Fighting tournament" trope which feels more like an excuse than a reason in fighting games.

Virtua Fighters does have more to it's story, like the J6 organization collecting data and roboticizing mothers to creat Dural. But given Virtua Fighter doesn't have a Story Mode to further expand on it, not many know of D6 or the whole point of the tournament. I mean, sure these games were made for the Arcade, most of Sega's arcade games lack story. But there is no harm expanding on it for console release.

Games like Tekken and Dead or Alive, they have Story Modes in their games and spin-off movies and animations based on these Story Modes. Because of this players can relate more to the fighters they choose and be more engaged in the lore around Tekken. As for SoulCalibur I dunno much about it's media but it too has a story which explains the lore around the Soul Edge and it's ongoing history and story.
Virtua Fighter... a bunch of muscle-dudes show up to fight in a tourney.

Cyber Troopers Virtual On - Tanita Cup 2021 Livestreaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tif_mz6auU
Whenever I think of Cyber Troopers Virtual On, I can't help but think VR Troopers.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:06:03 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2021, 05:28:44 am »
Whenever I think of Cyber Troopers Virtual On, I can't help but think VR Troopers.

I didn't enjoy the TV series very much, but I like their design (which is officially taken from Japanese Tokusatsu series)
I even had the Genesis version of the game eventhough I know the gameplay is not that good, just okay.  ;-D

https://segaretro.org/VR_Troopers

Offline Berto

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2021, 05:35:24 am »
I think the one thing Virtua Fighter series needs is a proper Story Mode. As far as I'm aware Virtua Fighter games (as well as Fighting Vipers) don't have a story mode. They have a story but it's the mostly the "Fighting tournament" trope which feels more like an excuse than a reason in fighting games.

Virtua Fighters does have more to it's story, like the J6 organization collecting data and roboticizing mothers to creat Dural. But given Virtua Fighter doesn't have a Story Mode to further expand on it, not many know of D6 or the whole point of the tournament. I mean, sure these games were made for the Arcade, most of Sega's arcade games lack story. But there is no harm expanding on it for console release.

Games like Tekken and Dead or Alive, they have Story Modes in their games and spin-off movies and animations based on these Story Modes. Because of this players can relate more to the fighters they choose and be more engaged in the lore around Tekken. As for SoulCalibur I dunno much about it's media but it too has a story which explains the lore around the Soul Edge and it's ongoing history and story.
Virtua Fighter... a bunch of muscle-dudes show up to fight in a tourney.

Agree about story mode.
And funnily enough, Game Gear / Master System has a story mode.
If they can do it for its 8 Bit version, why not in the modern version.

https://segaretro.org/Virtua_Fighter_Animation

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2021, 05:51:07 am »
Agree about story mode.
And funnily enough, Game Gear / Master System has a story mode.
If they can do it for its 8 Bit version, why not in the modern version.

https://segaretro.org/Virtua_Fighter_Animation
I don't know if the Game Gear version counts though given it was based on the anime than directly on the games. The anime portrait characters rather differently than the games so I can't really regard the anime "canon" to the games, no more than I regard AoSTH or SatAM canon to Sonic games.

For example in the original Virtua Fighter games, Akira Yuki is suppose to be this serious, no-nonsense martial arts master who take his training very seriously. While he is friends with other fighters (at least, I presume they're friends. Sega All-Stars Racing is the only hint I have that Yuki and Jacky are at least friends.)

In the anime, while Akira Yuki is a travelling martial artist, he's somewhat of a goof. His personality reminds me a bit of Goku from DragonBall Z. The sort who does take his training seriously but will eat a lot of food but still a powerful fighter despite not behaving like one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boxz2oTPpZw