Author Topic: Yakuza 5  (Read 32491 times)

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Yakuza 5
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2016, 05:08:30 am »
I was surprised to see readable manga in the M convenience store... then I noticed Concept of Love was playing in the store!

That seemed like one of those things that the Localization team would have cut but missed since none of them were written in English. Or maybe they're so scared of cutting content after Yakuza 3 that they left it as it is. And yeah, the random Sega music playing is awesome. The driving was great, especially the racing parts where you could race to mother fucking Daytona USA.

Although, Kiryu reading manga off shelves? Back to the life of crime, I see.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:44:06 am by Phantasos »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2016, 03:32:02 pm »
I love the humorous elements. The malware incident at the taxi office was hilarious. Seeing Kiryu pounding the hell out of the PC tower with his unflinchingly dead serious expression... priceless. And this funny moment from the taxi missions... not only the premise, but the way the camera went through three quick cuts, like it was a shot from a horror/suspense movie or something:

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2016, 12:02:16 pm »
Started 5 the other day after pretty much finishing with 4 (Stuck on Ultimate Challenges on it), I like the seamless battle system but I feel like the combat has been reduced in what you can do with the moves (no idea why I can't use certain heat actions with Kazuma that I could do with him at Level 1 of Yakuza 4).

Regarding Saejima, I don't mind him story wise (not got to 5 yet but 4 wasn't the worst thing I had played last year). Although his look in Yakuza 5 reminds me of Skinheads you see in England (probably intentional but I preferred his rugged look from 4 since you knew he hasn't seen the outside world in years).

I have a question (not too spoilery), does he actually get with the times in 5? (i.e: Has a Mobile Phone, gets to know what Social Media is, etc?) It'd be nice if they expanded on his new found freedom in the game and how the Tojo Clan now do things. :P

Eh? Sejima's in 0? How does that work?
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2016, 01:20:14 pm »
So far im loving this game. As always the story is fantastic, at least so far. Sometimes i get lost into the cutscenes so much that I forget that i have to pick up the controller again eventually.

Which leads me to the question. Why dont I see this kind of strong mature narrative more often in japanese anime? Im not into the action anime because its predictable as fuck. Or often its shallow and lacking depth. I love that a lot about yakuza and it made me realize that i would absoluyly love watching something similar if it exists...

Its quite surprising that SEGA hasnt done anything like that to fill what I feel is missing in anime. What do you guys think of a yakuza sorta like anime? If somethinglng like it exists please do tell!

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2016, 02:16:18 pm »
So far im loving this game. As always the story is fantastic, at least so far. Sometimes i get lost into the cutscenes so much that I forget that i have to pick up the controller again eventually.

Which leads me to the question. Why dont I see this kind of strong mature narrative more often in japanese anime? Im not into the action anime because its predictable as fuck. Or often its shallow and lacking depth. I love that a lot about yakuza and it made me realize that i would absoluyly love watching something similar if it exists...

Its quite surprising that SEGA hasnt done anything like that to fill what I feel is missing in anime. What do you guys think of a yakuza sorta like anime? If somethinglng like it exists please do tell!

Check out Outrage and Beyond Outrage.

They're not anime, but live action movies about yakuza. There's a lot of similar themes. The Yakuza/RGG games are better though as they're not afraid to venture into the ridiculous from time to time. I guess you have more freedom to do so when gaming is your media format.

Now that you mention it, I wish this game series was made into an anime.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2016, 11:38:09 pm »
I have a question (not too spoilery), does he actually get with the times in 5? (i.e: Has a Mobile Phone, gets to know what Social Media is, etc?) It'd be nice if they expanded on his new found freedom in the game and how the Tojo Clan now do things. :P

Honestly Saejima doesn't get much of any development in Yakuza 5. His section feels sorta the most shoehorned in and he definitely doesn't get much freedom, not to get too spoilery.

but I feel like the combat has been reduced in what you can do with the moves (no idea why I can't use certain heat actions with Kazuma that I could do with him at Level 1 of Yakuza 4).

My guess is because he has a different role in this one; In 4 he was sort of The Final Character, so he was  meant to come across as more powerful, while he's the Intro Character in Yakuza 5, so he's pretty much the one meant to ease you into the combat system.

That's one of the flaws with the Multiple Character system, though I think 5 improved on it in many ways over 4.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:42:38 pm by Ben »

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2016, 12:40:21 pm »
Check out Outrage and Beyond Outrage.

They're not anime, but live action movies about yakuza. There's a lot of similar themes. The Yakuza/RGG games are better though as they're not afraid to venture into the ridiculous from time to time. I guess you have more freedom to do so when gaming is your media format.

Now that you mention it, I wish this game series was made into an anime.
Thanks man. Gonna look into it. An anime would be appropriate imo and id love if SEGA or someone else did something similar. Im sure there's many reasons why such thing dont exist though. Or maybe it just hasnt been tried yet. Either way im gonna look into that as well and maybe ill find something.

Having just finished part 1 of the game, I absolutly love kiryu in this. What a beast. So far for me this is better than Y4. But i think its also more apprioriate to start the game with kiryu in comparison to akiyama in 4. Kiryu is just a more lovable character. That fight at the warehouse was really something.

I feel like mobs have also become more aggresive and challenging. Alltho im not so sure about that
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:49:13 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Centrale

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2016, 01:30:17 pm »
Just wondering if the Yakuza series has influenced anyone else's life? I for one now like to wander around picking fights. I go up to people, lean forward and kind of jerk my head up in a provocative way as I insult their clothes and/or age. Unfortunately, not being able to fight very well, I usually end up getting my face scraped on the ground until I hand over an energy drink and offer my apologies.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2016, 02:01:30 pm »

Because anime is more often than not, aimed at kids to teens and the other group that gets a huge pandering to are otakus thanks to how much they spend on a show. Still two good shows that have great character interaction are Monster and Gungrave.

Not dealing with gangsters but a very good thriller anime is Monster, highly recommended with a fantastic plot and cast of characters. The anime based on GunGrave (Which other than the character design can be taken as an almost original production) starts off as a science fiction and then goes into a mafia drama before returning to it's sci-fi roots.

There are a few other "serious" animes (The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, One Punch Man, Noir, Black Lagoon, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure etc) but they are either more action focus, comedy focused or both.

Just wondering if the Yakuza series has influenced anyone else's life? I for one now like to wander around picking fights. I go up to people, lean forward and kind of jerk my head up in a provocative way as I insult their clothes and/or age. Unfortunately, not being able to fight very well, I usually end up getting my face scraped on the ground until I hand over an energy drink and offer my apologies.

I challenge every teenage girl on the streets to a dance off.

Everytime I try to do a backflip I usually end up pulling a muscle in my back :<

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2016, 03:11:04 pm »
Because anime is more often than not, aimed at kids to teens and the other group that gets a huge pandering to are otakus thanks to how much they spend on a show. Still two good shows that have great character interaction are Monster and Gungrave.

Not dealing with gangsters but a very good thriller anime is Monster, highly recommended with a fantastic plot and cast of characters. The anime based on GunGrave (Which other than the character design can be taken as an almost original production) starts off as a science fiction and then goes into a mafia drama before returning to it's sci-fi roots.

There are a few other "serious" animes (The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, One Punch Man, Noir, Black Lagoon, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure etc) but they are either more action focus, comedy focused or both.
Wow, this is great. Thanks Aki. While loving anime im not much of an anime nut, so I tend to not know a lot. But the first 2 you mentioned look interesting!

Yakuza's influence on me. Ive learned some great fighting moves myself, like sliding peoples faces on the road. That one seems to really help a lot in real life.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:10:28 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2016, 11:55:05 am »
Honestly Saejima doesn't get much of any development in Yakuza 5. His section feels sorta the most shoehorned in and he definitely doesn't get much freedom, not to get too spoilery.

My guess is because he has a different role in this one; In 4 he was sort of The Final Character, so he was  meant to come across as more powerful, while he's the Intro Character in Yakuza 5, so he's pretty much the one meant to ease you into the combat system.

That's one of the flaws with the Multiple Character system, though I think 5 improved on it in many ways over 4.

That is a real shame to be honest, as I am pretty much a fan of Saejima's shenanigans from 4. (I actually captioned what he says on the final Side Quest on 4 because I loved it so much!) Appearance aside, I do like how he comes across, but if what you said is true, poor Saejima....surely SEGA (or Nagioshi) could have thought of SOMETHING!?! He's a convicted criminal with a heart of gold! (although they all are to be hair), having him learn the ropes again in the Tojo Clan would have been nice to see, and perhaps show how he advances in the modern world too.

Does Akiyama at least develop more in this game? I liked his story about being a legit money lender but I think it got boring after awhile.

Regarding the latter, I did come into the game expecting to start from scratch, but after getting to level 15/16....meh....he doesn't feel the same (guessing this is related to the story about him being rusty).

Random question but....is it me or does Kazuma look YOUNGER every game he appears in? (Appearance wise, he looks younger in 6 then 5, and then in 5 from 4 due to how they make him skinnier).

@Aki: Is the Monster anime by any chance about [[spoiler]a Surgeon doing an operation on a kid and that kid starts killing?[/spoiler]

Yakuza and Anime kind of makes me think of Boondocks....

Offline Centrale

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2016, 01:09:33 pm »
Random question but....is it me or does Kazuma look YOUNGER every game he appears in? (Appearance wise, he looks younger in 6 then 5, and then in 5 from 4 due to how they make him skinnier).

To me he looks older in 5 than he did in 4. Especially around the eyes.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2016, 11:44:46 pm »
Yeah I think in 3 they went for an "older" look and then backpedaled, lol.

Which is good, I think it's probably necessary to keep Kazuma in the thick of things.

Does Akiyama at least develop more in this game? I liked his story about being a legit money lender but I think it got boring after awhile.

Ehh I feel like you should form your own opinions on Yakuza 5, so I'll let you form your own opinion. I didn't personally feel that anyone developed much, but still found the characters to be in top form.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2016, 07:16:55 pm »
Im not sure if I like the variety for the sake of variety in this game. Racing and taxi driving was pretty alright, but the hunting after 5 missions I decided to leave it there. Its like ignoring the best parts of the game being story and fighting, to do some lame ass asignments. But then again ive always ignored most of the side stuff in yakuza since the first game. Anyone that didnt ignore the side missions?

I also think I understand the "Kiryu only" sentiments. Im already starting to miss him.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:08:16 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2016, 01:06:39 pm »
To me he looks older in 5 than he did in 4. Especially around the eyes.

Does he? Then again you get thinner as you get older, like my Uncle (and he was already thin!)

Yeah I think in 3 they went for an "older" look and then backpedaled, lol.

Which is good, I think it's probably necessary to keep Kazuma in the thick of things.

Ehh I feel like you should form your own opinions on Yakuza 5, so I'll let you form your own opinion. I didn't personally feel that anyone developed much, but still found the characters to be in top form.

I guess, although personally I like the broad look for some reason, makes them look more manly! :P

Fair enough, I was curious if he builds on his characteristics as he was pretty humorous.