Author Topic: Shinobi: The Complete History  (Read 58867 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Re: Shinobi: The Complete History
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2021, 08:31:27 pm »
Yeah what sucks is Sega were founders to video game genres that are still being used to this day, but the founding games are mostly backseated to the modern audience.

For example, you like popular fighting games like Tekken, Dead or Alive or SoulCalibur? You have Virtua Fighter to thanks for that.

DOA franchise at least had showed their respect by adding Sarah, Pai, Jacky, and Akira in DOA5.
They looks good and play smooth too in there.
Loved to play them in my PS Vita back then.

Link : http://segabits.com/blog/tag/dead-or-alive-5/

Offline Berto

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2021, 08:33:26 pm »
New Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack Membership lets you play N64 and SEGA Genesis games

The SEGA Genesis will launch with the following games:

– Castlevania: Bloodlines
– Contra Hard Corps
– Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
– Ecco the Dolphin
– Golden Axe
– Gunstar Heroes
– MUSHA
– Phantasy Star IV
– Ristar
– Shining Force
– Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
– Sonic the Hedgehog 2
– Streets of Rage 2
– Strider 

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2021/09/23/new-nintendo-switch-online-expansion-pack-membership-lets-you-play-n64-and-sega-genesis-games/

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2021, 09:23:11 pm »
DOA franchise at least had showed their respect by adding Sarah, Pai, Jacky, and Akira in DOA5.
They looks good and play smooth too in there.
Loved to play them in my PS Vita back then.

Link : http://segabits.com/blog/tag/dead-or-alive-5/
True, Does that mean the VF characters have a story in DoA?

Offline Berto

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2021, 09:36:10 pm »
True, Does that mean the VF characters have a story in DoA?

Yes, but very minor.
It's just basically they're saying hi to each other and then fight.
Story's still focused on DOA characters.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2021, 10:10:02 pm »
Yes, but very minor.
It's just basically they're saying hi to each other and then fight.
Story's still focused on DOA characters.

Aww. I wqould enjoy VF story more if it was more fleshed out. But even as guest characetrs they're meh.

Offline Berto

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2021, 10:35:12 pm »
Aww. I wqould enjoy VF story more if it was more fleshed out. But even as guest characetrs they're meh.

It's the gameplay that matters.
Virtua Fighter fans are used to have VF game with no story.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2021, 07:08:51 am »
It's the gameplay that matters.
Virtua Fighter fans are used to have VF game with no story.

True, but a bit of story is nice. After all what are they fighting for?

Offline Berto

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2021, 05:22:16 am »
True, but a bit of story is nice. After all what are they fighting for?

For Truth, Justice, and American way !!!
Naah.. to train themself of course, to become more stronger.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2021, 08:08:11 am »
I know, just  Iwouldn't mind a proper story mode for Virtua Fighter. There is stories written in the manuals and some sort of over-arching story throughout the game involving a group of contenders conflict with the J6 but that's about it.

This is why Tekken and DOA are more popular than Virtua Fighter, because these franchises fleshed out their fighters into interesting people than just fighters.

Offline Berto

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2021, 04:55:42 am »
Agree, it's harder to get attached to the characters if there's no story involved.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2021, 07:28:49 am »
Agree, it's harder to get attached to the characters if there's no story involved.
Virtua Fighter depict the fighters mostly stereotypical to a fault.

Akira Yuki is super-serious kung-fu fighter.
Jacky Bryant is hotheaded, sporty fighter. I think he is friends with Akira. This is only evident in S&SASR.
Sarah Bryant is Jacky's sister. I think she's a model? I dunno, that's all I know of her.
Pai Chan is sterotypical chinese fighter lady. Her personality is daddy issues and maybe crush on Akira Yuki but I dunno.
Lau Chan is Pai's dad. I think he's all serious martial arts instructor. Maybe business man I think, if he is probably something to do with J6 but I don't know.
Kage Maru is a ninja. I think he's looking for his mother.
Wolf Hawkfield is a wrestler. He's from Canada.
Jeffry McWild is just a burly australian. I didn't know he was a fisherman until later.
Dural is a gynoid-like being created by the evil organization Judgement Six. She is programmed to fight with an amalgamation of various moves from fighters throughout the game. Beating her ends with a cutscene showing that she was actually Kage Maru's mother all along revealing she was a cyborg. Dural returns in future games, either a cyborg victim of other women or her own robot. Eitherway Dural has more established backstory in the games than any other fighter.

I know Virtua Fighter games added more characters, but other than the summery of backstory provided to them what else do you know about them?

It's more evident is the anime when the show went ahead and turned Akira Yuki into a Goku-like goof, which is probably the right thing to do given Akira's original personality is "Shut up, I'm training."

Meanwhile, Tekken, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter hell even Fatal Fury get's story modes in their games as well as TV series, video specials and even cinematic movies now and again which thoroughly expands on each and every characters personality. Their motivation and why these characters are more than their stereotype.

Offline Berto

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2021, 10:01:25 am »
Yeah, all of their backstory I only knew from anime, magazines, and game's manual book.
Nothing from the game (not counting game gear version since it's basically from anime).

Outside from the anime I only know these (from magazine and manual book) :

1. I remember reading in magazine that deep inside Sarah hates Jacky for being overprotective.
That's why she's kinda easy to be brainwashed into fighting him (compared to Vanessa) since the root is already there.
That's rather different in anime. They're super close in the anime.

2. Akira is defeated by Kage-Maru in fourth tournament and having a breakdown for a while.

3. Jeffry is searching for his rival (Devil Shark) that has been kidnapped by J6.

4. Pai realizes that Lau didn't have long to live and finally respect his desire to pursue ultimate strength.

5. Eileen kinda had a crush on Pai. (If this game was on Switch, I'd definitely put the game in this thread). She enters the tournament in order to get to close to her.

6. Lei Fei's goal is to defeeat Lau to see the secret of Ko'en-ken.

7. Aoi is the type of a girl who get frustated easily every time she loses. The only way to get rid of her frustation is by entering tournament and fight again.

8. Goh is ordered by J6 to kill someone in tournament but his plan is ruined by Dural's appearance and hates Dural since then.

9. Kage is just like what you said. To save the soul of his mother.

10. Lion enter the tournament to learn about his father's involvement with J6.

11. Brad is a playboy but her preference is strong women. That's his motivation to enter the tournament.

12. Shun Di is searching for his student that has been kidnapped by J6.

13. Lau is ready to face the last fight of his life.

14. El Blaze is feeling jealous in Wolf's victories in the heavyweight division. He wanted to surpass him.

15. Wolf saw a small mark on Dural's body that was very similar to symbol he had seen in his nightmares. He wanted to know what it was.

16. Vanessa volunteered herself to protect Sarah from J6 but then got back to Jacky's house unconscious and some memory of hers was missing. Probably J6 tried to brainwwashed her but failed and she escaped. She enters the fifth tournament in order to get a clue what happened.

17. Jacky wanted to destroy J6 so that Sarah could live a normal life. After what happened to Vanessa, he enters the fifth tournament to help her too.

The reason of fighting for each character indeed exists. SEGA is just too lazy to put in the game.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2021, 10:10:37 am »
Because some of these magazines were not available to me I didn't even know half these stories.

I though SHun Di was just a chill drunk who got involved in the tournamebnt because she wanted something to do.

But yeah imagine if Sega actually bothered with a propper storymode to tie all these characters together!

Offline Berto

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2021, 09:28:36 pm »
Because some of these magazines were not available to me I didn't even know half these stories.

I though SHun Di was just a chill drunk who got involved in the tournamebnt because she wanted something to do.

But yeah imagine if Sega actually bothered with a propper storymode to tie all these characters together!

Before reading about him, I though he was Lau's buddy.
Just like in Virtua Fighter anime.
He seems to know a lot about Lau in the anime.

Offline Berto

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2021, 09:29:18 pm »
Khinsider Has Removed 500+ Albums Related to Sega

"Segapocalypse!
Wave Master, the company that manages Sega's music, has contacted me and asked me to remove lots of albums related to Sega.
At the end of the day, over 500 albums were removed, including Sonic, OutRun, and others.
Unfortunately, this even included fan made compilation albums for games that have no commercial releases, which, quite frankly, makes absolutely no sense.
If you were wondering why some albums have disappeared on the site, this is why." 

Link : https://downloads.khinsider.com/