Author Topic: Must read: Nagoshi takes Yakuza 6, the final chapter for Kazuma.  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44

This really is a great read if you're a Yakuza fan...
Read it here:

http://yakuzafan.com/post/148365704343/long-time-yakuza-super-fan-chelsea-contacted-me

Extract:
Nagoshi: I’m not lying when I say that this is the final chapter in the legend of Kazuma Kiryu, however. Those are my true beliefs right at this moment. Usually - for example, right around this time as we’re making RGG6 (editor’s note: July 2016) - the staff generally have at least a bit of discussion amongst themselves about what we might do with RGG7. This time, though, there’s been nothing like that at all.
―This game really does mark the end.
Nagoshi: The staff are all working in earnest with everything they’ve got, like bursting across the finishing line of a seemingly endless marathon. When RGG6 is released, the first thing I’d like everyone to do is spend plenty of time playing it, but I also really hope that after that they praise the development team who’ve stayed the course so far during this eleven-year marathon. They have created eleven games, after all. That isn’t something you do often in life.
Made by SEGA

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Must read: Nagoshi takes Yakuza 6, the final chapter for Kazuma.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:52:27 pm »
I remember when 4 was also Kiryu's last chapter. Not holding my breath.

The fact that he's the only playable character this time around does lend some credit to that, though. Plus that while thing about the title's meaning that the choice that he and Haruka will have to make. I don't think Kiryu will die though, Yakuza can be pretty dark but  it's also pretty light at the same time. They never end on a downer note. But I really appreciate how much importance Nagoshi gives to the fact that the mainline Yakuza's timeline is equal to each's game development time so characters age in real time. The fact that he's deadset on Yakuza eventually stopping on merit of that logic is pretty legit.

I hope the combat is as good as Yakuza 0 but I bet they'll make it more accessible considering the framerate and the more expanded open world.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:07:03 pm by Phantasos »

Offline Clint Forrester

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 01:35:40 pm »
If they're going to leave the Yakuza franchise alone after this, then maybe... You know... Could they give us a 3D Streets of Rage game with a full fleshed-out story? I always thought it'd be sweet to see them create one, and have it set in early 90's America to boot. I know they'd do a great job.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:16:16 pm »
If they're going to leave the Yakuza franchise alone after this, then maybe... You know... Could they give us a 3D Streets of Rage game with a full fleshed-out story? I always thought it'd be sweet to see them create one, and have it set in early 90's America to boot. I know they'd do a great job.

That...would actually be pretty sweet. It's a known and loved franchise, a team that has the Yakuza engine that's clearly flexible and as they've built it, they know exactly how to use it.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 04:02:32 pm »
An interesting read. The characters all look somehow more stylized, and the colors are more saturated. Is it just me or do they look slightly less realistic now? I don't mind a change in style, it's just something I've noticed.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 06:18:31 pm »
Centrale, it has been taken that turn since Yakuza 2 when Hase Seishū, a novelist, left the Yakuza project and he was replaced with Masayoshi Yokoyama in Yakuza 3. Every game Masayoshi Yokoyama makes the characters more and more over the top and it seems to work in the Japanese market but I loved the dark and gritty undertones that Hase Seishū had. While the games are still great, Seishū was a better writer imo. Yakuza 2 has the best story of the bunch.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 03:26:40 am »
I remember when 4 was also Kiryu's last chapter. Not holding my breath.

Yep I also remember that , along with Nagoshi-san having a pop at developers that make sequels saying that its easy thing to do and how he didn't want his 'then' Amusement Vision studio to be the same oh and how Monkeyball would only have room for 3 games .  Mind you all developers make sequels to games that sell well it's a given and I also take its a bad translation,  since there hasn't been 11 games in the series .

It be nice to see the team given the time and R&D to create a new IP or just work on something different

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure