Author Topic: Video editing question  (Read 8590 times)

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
Video editing question
« on: January 05, 2013, 07:26:42 pm »
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of our forum members have any tips on video editing? What I'm trying to do is to replace existing sentence with new ones. Are there any programs that would let you do that? I'll show an example sometime later.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Video editing question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 07:57:20 pm »
I don't understand, there is a built in subtitle into the video?

Offline Kori-Maru

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:24:04 pm »
Something like this. Someone able to replace the Japanese text dialog with a English one.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5BCD1kNQfU[/youtube]

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:47 pm »
i have veeery little with video editing, so i don't know if this is possible, but...

Would you be able to make a solid shape and put it over the existing text? maybe gradient it if you can. so it fits in better with the existing box, you'd have to do that for each frame on the video, and then put your text over it.

Offline Kori-Maru

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:19:35 pm »
i have veeery little with video editing, so i don't know if this is possible, but...

Would you be able to make a solid shape and put it over the existing text? maybe gradient it if you can. so it fits in better with the existing box, you'd have to do that for each frame on the video, and then put your text over it.
Exactly what I want to do. Just to need to know what program. I know Windows movie maker can't because it sucks.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:31:44 pm »
Exactly what I want to do. Just to need to know what program. I know Windows movie maker can't because it sucks.

Your a student right now, you could sign up for adobe cloud. gain access to adobe's movie program, its' very high tech. $35/month (normally $50/month for non-students) for a 1 year contract for access to all of adobe's programs. I don't know if that is worth it to you or not, but i thought i would bring it up. You'd get access to a movie editing program that sells for 1000's of dollars normally. I've also heard of something called Sony Vegas, never used it though. but sony's option would probably be cheaper.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 05:13:05 am »
I've been editing video/sound since I was 16-years old and have used several different programs since. If you can, pick up the latest Pinnacle Studio. It's - essentially - a poor man's Avid. Fairly sophisticated and very user-friendly. The title generator can easily mask that text and replace it with yours. I can tell from lookin' at the video that the Pinnacle has a font that matches it. Like Will said, slap a shape over the text that matches the background color, then type over that shape. It's easy. I did that for the Star Wars Arcade and Schwarzenegger Double-Feature reviews.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline ungibbed

• Total Meseta: 4
  • hater of haters...
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 05:43:06 pm »
Your a student right now, you could sign up for adobe cloud. gain access to adobe's movie program, its' very high tech. $35/month (normally $50/month for non-students) for a 1 year contract for access to all of adobe's programs. I don't know if that is worth it to you or not, but i thought i would bring it up. You'd get access to a movie editing program that sells for 1000's of dollars normally. I've also heard of something called Sony Vegas, never used it though. but sony's option would probably be cheaper.

I remember using Adobe Premiere for a couple of years on my old Win2k box and hated every moment of it as it wasn't the most stable app so often a blood sacrifice was needed for your project to render. Then again, that was a long time ago.

My last dive into video editing was with iMovie HD for my old PPC based Mac. It was far more powerful than the current 64bit Intel app on current systems. Even then with the current iMovie app, it's capable and quick on a i7 setup and still does okay for some video but lacks the options of Avid, Sony Vegas (it started it's early life as a Mac app) and finally Pinnacle and Premiere

Final Cut studio would be overkill.  :o
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:53:00 am »
Hey Kori it's your lucky day, seems Adobe CS2 has been free for a while now, but the internet just found out today, adobe took the page down due to huge traffic increase, but they left the links up and said that it is indeed free on their forums, but can't guarantee CS2 will run right due to not being made for modern day OS

anyways, here is a link, there is a copy of Adobe Premiere CS2, which is a video editing App, so give it a try

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46152220&postcount=267

Offline Kori-Maru

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 07:15:02 pm »
Hey Kori it's your lucky day, seems Adobe CS2 has been free for a while now, but the internet just found out today, adobe took the page down due to huge traffic increase, but they left the links up and said that it is indeed free on their forums, but can't guarantee CS2 will run right due to not being made for modern day OS

anyways, here is a link, there is a copy of Adobe Premiere CS2, which is a video editing App, so give it a try

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46152220&postcount=267
Damn.... They removed it. Almost had Adobe Premiere CS2 downloaded until my desktop decided to act like balls.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 10:05:29 am »
To make it look good/professional, you'd need to use both Photoshop and After Effects. I'm not going to pretend that either program is easy to learn without a book or tutorials, but the internet is a bountiful resource.

Replacing the background is the hardest part, but simply covering the background with a gradient layer and masking out the shape/edges to fit over the original background will do. That would be a Photoshop process, then in After Effects or Premiere you place that layer over the original video and then add a text layer on top.

If you send me a specific video that needs text replaced, I would even go as far as make a video demonstrating how to do this specific task.

I remember using Adobe Premiere for a couple of years on my old Win2k box and hated every moment of it as it wasn't the most stable app so often a blood sacrifice was needed for your project to render.

It's come a long way since they added the "Pro" to the title. Stable and sexy.

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 10:32:06 am »
To make it look good/professional, you'd need to use both Photoshop and After Effects. I'm not going to pretend that either program is easy to learn without a book or tutorials, but the internet is a bountiful resource.

Replacing the background is the hardest part, but simply covering the background with a gradient layer and masking out the shape/edges to fit over the original background will do. That would be a Photoshop process, then in After Effects or Premiere you place that layer over the original video and then add a text layer on top.

If you send me a specific video that needs text replaced, I would even go as far as make a video demonstrating how to do this specific task.

It's come a long way since they added the "Pro" to the title. Stable and sexy.

Adobe's overly complicated and expensive for what you're wanting to do, in my opinion. Pinnacle can do the same thing at a fraction of the cost and still look damn good.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:14 pm »
you could also sign up for adobe cloud free 30 day trial, see what you think of it. Although if you aren't seriously into creating stuff, then you're probably gonna be ripping yourself off in the long run, adobe software is meant for professionals and that's why it costs so much. It's very rich featured.

If you aren't seriously into creating stuff at the moment you should try out pinnacle, like mylifeatsega suggested, I've never used their software, but it looks nice from what I've looked up about it. You could also see if they have a free trial.

If you cant make gradients in pinnacle you can always download GIMP. I hate gimp, it's realllly confusing interface xD but it's better then MS Paint and it's free unlike Photoshop.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:52:39 pm by Will »

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 03:33:20 pm »
you could also sign up for adobe cloud free 30 day trial, see what you think of it. Although if you aren't seriously into creating stuff, then you're probably gonna be ripping yourself off in the long run, adobe software is meant for professionals and that's why it costs so much. It's very rich featured.

If you aren't seriously into creating stuff at the moment you should try out pinnacle, like mylifeatsega suggested, I've never used their software, but it looks nice from what I've looked up about it. You could also see if they have a free trial.

If you cant make gradients in pinnacle you can always download GIMP. I hate gimp, it's realllly confusing interface xD but it's better then MS Paint and it's free unlike Photoshop.

You can do gradients with Pinnacle; easy money. A basic package is about $100 and it gives you plenty of features, such as color correction, 2D/3D transitions, green-screen capabilities, etc. There's also a bunch of gimmicky effects, like smoke and camera-shake, but you can customize everything so as to look more natural. I'm a very simple editor though. I just like being able to cut at the precise frame. Couldn't really do that with MovieShaker or iMovie. Not easily, at least.

I just like it because it's cheap, easy to use, and you can upgrade the software if you wanna' do more complicated stuff.

Another plus is that you can experiment and discover new things. When I was making Quiet Torments, I needed a shot to establish the passage of time and transition to the next scene. I thought, "If only I had a shot of the moon." Using a standard-def JVC camera, I knew the built-in lens wasn't good enough to capture the image I wanted. So I found a really nice still from a friends vacation photo taken at dusk. I cropped my buddies out of it, desaturated the image - Quiet Torments was a B&W short - made it darker while making the moon brighter, added the smoke filter - made quick and easy adjustments to modulation, detail, transparency and speed - then made use of a blur effect so it would look like the moon was shining through the cloud....

When I showed the finished movie, my friends and family asked me how many times I had to shoot the moon to get that perfect shot. That made me laugh. If you're clever, you can polish a turd.

However, some folks prefer Final Cut Express and Adobe. That's all well and fine. In the end, you gotta' find what works best for you. However, if you're not used to this sort of thing, Pinnacle is a nice, cheap starter kit.