Author Topic: Super Hero movies that need reboots/heroes that need movies  (Read 17714 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Super Hero movies that need reboots/heroes that need movies
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 06:04:11 am »
Umm... for all intents and purposes they haven't gotten Superman right either.

I've always liked Batman - i've always found Supes, WW, Lantern and most of their characters stupid. No Offence, I am sure I am not as well versed with their special collector comic book stories but from what I've seen in the animated series is laughable that you would take them seriously for a second.

You just need to look at Wonder Woman and case closed.

Super Man, get an understanding of the characters physical and mental abilities and you'll see how much things are dumped down. If Superman has super strength then a fight should end before it starts cause that is what ultimately happens every time and Lex Luther is supposed to be so intelligent but he does things anyone with half a brain wouldn't do and the whole universe rests on the fact that no one is intelligent enough to tell CK/SM apart. The premise was laughable 50 years go and it is even more stupid today.

I don't know much about GL, but the movie trailer looked shit (exaggeration) and guess what the movie was shit (exaggeration).

Do I need to diss AquaMan?

Actually you're missing the point on the Superman mythos or at least the retconned version from the eighties. Superman is someone who is powerful but wants to be human and lead a normal life. He also holds back his true potential(something he's had to do most of his life in fear that he could kill someone) Lex Luthor is a genius who became a buisness man and most of his plans are subtle, longterm and ultimatly untraceable to him. If you're judging that from what the cartoons you've seen, which can barely get the entire history of a 70 year old comic series into a 20 minute episode i should say that the marvel cartoons are equally stupid and hardly gets it totally correct. For example the Xmen concept is stupid on the surface because mutants(Ie people born with powers) exist in a world use to seeing people with superpowers all the time like Spider man yet they don't hate the avengers but they hate the xmen? Its when you delve into the concept that's when it should make sense. IMO both marvel/Dc cartoons are enjoyable.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 07:00:56 am »
I'm actually a major X-Men fan I've read like the first 20 issues and have watched every movie.

As for the cartoon I love X-Men TAS, X-Men Evolution started off poorly but the characters were well written and season 3 and 4 weren't bad at all. I watched the first few episodes of "Wolverine & the X-Men" I liked how deep into the storyline it was (as in it wasn't a retelling of how the x-men are formed and everything) but man, I thought the animation for evolution was bad so I don't have words to describe Wolverine and I stopped watching the series after 13 episodes. It just wasn't good.

So yeah I'm hardcore into X-Men.

As for SuperMan I will always think he's stupid one more example:
SuperMan Returns:
He can die from Kryptonite,
He is stabbed with Kryptonite,
left for dead in freezing water,
retrieved by Louis Lane who pulls the Kryptonite out,
SuperMan Fly's to the sun and is completely rejuvinated,
lifts the entire Kryptonite island into outer space :S (wait can't he die from coming in contact to it, no that doesn't matter anymore)
Then suddenly we find out shards of the Kryptonite he was stabbed with are still lodged in him so he plummets to the ground, near death :S.

Fuck That Shit!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 07:41:53 am »
First: it is "Superman", not "SuperMan"

Second: I don't think you'll ever get Superman, so it's probably best to stop trying.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 04:59:02 pm »
Did you edit my post?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 05:51:17 pm »
Never touched it. Why?

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 03:53:09 am »
Sorry, got confused.

Superman i'll try and remember that and about all the other men you know BatMan, SpiderMan and so on. There movies usually have everything in Capital so it is hard to distinguish.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 05:21:49 am »
I'm actually a major X-Men fan I've read like the first 20 issues and have watched every movie.

As for the cartoon I love X-Men TAS, X-Men Evolution started off poorly but the characters were well written and season 3 and 4 weren't bad at all. I watched the first few episodes of "Wolverine & the X-Men" I liked how deep into the storyline it was (as in it wasn't a retelling of how the x-men are formed and everything) but man, I thought the animation for evolution was bad so I don't have words to describe Wolverine and I stopped watching the series after 13 episodes. It just wasn't good.

So yeah I'm hardcore into X-Men.

As for SuperMan I will always think he's stupid one more example:
SuperMan Returns:
He can die from Kryptonite,
He is stabbed with Kryptonite,
left for dead in freezing water,
retrieved by Louis Lane who pulls the Kryptonite out,
SuperMan Fly's to the sun and is completely rejuvinated,
lifts the entire Kryptonite island into outer space :S (wait can't he die from coming in contact to it, no that doesn't matter anymore)
Then suddenly we find out shards of the Kryptonite he was stabbed with are still lodged in him so he plummets to the ground, near death :S.

Fuck That Shit!

But that's the film not the character, SR was a stupid film, so was Wolverine, that doesn't mean the character or the concept of that character is stupid. Anyway the Bruce Timm Batman, Superman and Justice league cartoons are a very high standard and are better to some marvel cartoons.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 08:19:19 am »
@Cube: You're right about Batman, but Spider-Man is written with a hyphen. The reason for the hyphen was to differentiate him from Superman. Because at quick glance, Superman and "Spiderman" look very similar. But the hyphen makes Spider-Man stand out.

Agreed with ROJM. I liked Superman Returns, but it did make some stupid decisions. All that is a plot and film problem, not a character problem. In previous Superman discussions I've given a number of great examples of Superman:

Comics: There are hundreds, but if you want a fantastic mini-series I will once again give a shout out to:

Cartoons: The 1940's Fleischer Superman cartoons are CLASSICS. Great animation, fun stories involving scientists, robots, WWII, etc. Not deep by any means, but a load of fun to watch.

Superman: The Animated Series. From the team behind Batman The Animated Series. Need I say more?

Movies: I'll admit, the 70's Superman movies are dated, but they did a LOT for the superhero film genre. The first is a great film. Origin story is told very well, the score is fantastic, the effects are great for the time and it's got Brando and Hackman! THe sequel is a good film as well, though I prefer the Donner Cut.

The upcoming Man of Steel looks to be good, though I don't know enough about it yet. Just that it's a reboot and features Zod.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 04:02:23 pm »
I thought I was supposed to leave Superman alone, well let me know when to stop.

My next attack is 10 years of Smallville - the show couldn't even maintain continuity through a season.
Villain's like Brainiac did so many stupid things just so Superman could win, the laws of Kryptonite were less more unstable than homemade explosives.
In one episode Clarke picked up Kryptonite with his hands while being locked in a Kryptonite Sauna and threw them against the glass in other episodes he falls down while he is feet away from the Kryptonite, and the fact that pisses me off the most is that on paper intelligent villains do the most stupidest things.

Like that last Bruce Timm's Superman/Batman team up movie where Lex becomes president. It was so stupid.

I think Barry is right the character just isn't for me, what pisses me off is that he has such great villain's that are wasted on him.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 05:20:17 pm »
Smallville, while an intriguing concept, was held back by a lot of things. I've only seen a handfull of episodes, but the low budget hurt the series, and the fact that they intentionally had to hold back on a lot of things hurt it. Like, why not stick him in the suit for the final season? It won't kill anybody. Everybody wants to see it, so why not do more than a few minutes in the finale. I did watch the finale and was like "if only the whole series was like this".

Still, Smallville is in no way an accurate representation of Superman. It tried to be Superman without Superman, with a dash (okay, a heap) of teen drama and cheesy weekly sci-fi series concepts. Like the episode you mentioned.

Anyway, yeah, I didn't say to leave him alone, I just recommended you stop trying to get the whole thing. I tried stuff like Lost, Heroes and 30 Rock, didn't get them so I let them be.

But I still stand by All-Star Superman. Check it out, even if it's a PDF download.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:23:55 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 08:01:53 pm »
Heroes was more or less Garbage, fluctuated worse than Smallville.
30 Rock isn't for everyone.

LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST. WHO WHAT WHY HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE IT.
The quality went down with time, sure but the 1st season was gold.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 06:05:24 pm »
Barry pretty much said what I was going to about the Fantastic Four. Mind you the films are enjoyable overall but they really aren't a good representative of the Fantasic Four. The characterization of some of the characters like Doom (one of the most complex characters in the Marvel Universe!!) and Sue Storm could have been much better. I'm sorry, but Jessica Alba was a really bad casting choice for the role of Sue Storm. Didn't fit the character at all in my opinion, and in both movies they always had scenes trying to get her naked. =/  Again, I don't dislike the FF films, it's just that Marvel's first family deserves so much more. They practically gave birth to the Marvel Universe and saved Marvel Comics as a company.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2022, 09:57:05 pm »
Hero that need a movie?
The Sentry.
He's kinda unique,
kinda unstable, unlike usual other super heroes.
He has other side of him : The Void.
For every people he saved,
The Void will scr*w other people to balance.
It made everything what he does always come with a cost.