Author Topic: 2016 U.S. Presidential Election  (Read 183462 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: 2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« Reply #360 on: April 27, 2016, 12:43:41 am »
That's not what I'm saying, Barry. I'm saying he shouldn't be picking sides like he has and joined Cameron on TV in trying to stay in. He also said it would effect our relationship if we did leave. Why would it? Is our relationship only based on America using the UK to get the benefits of the EU without the sovereignty and immigration concerns? Really? We've been friends for years and this is the thing Obama is going to create bumps in that friendship? Seems rather weak.

Edit: I haven't had chance to check the stats yet, but going from what I've heard, Obama's visit has had the opposite effect.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:05:40 am by Tad »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #361 on: April 27, 2016, 07:34:54 am »
Obama can't give his opinion on the EU situation? What is up with some of you guys?

He shouldn't be telling voters which way they should vote . It also shows how little Obama knows about the EU and the way it works. The EU hates the USA with a passion
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #362 on: April 27, 2016, 08:12:51 am »
The EU hates the USA with a passion
No. No one in the EU actually really cares about the USA. Very different.

You don't even have decent football, how can you have our respect
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #363 on: April 27, 2016, 09:29:29 am »
Going to be interesting when we finally leave the EU what the Scots do next. SNP definitely going to push for another refurendum.

That's not what I'm saying, Barry. I'm saying he shouldn't be picking sides like he has and joined Cameron on TV in trying to stay in. He also said it would effect our relationship if we did leave. Why would it? Is our relationship only based on America using the UK to get the benefits of the EU without the sovereignty and immigration concerns? Really? We've been friends for years and this is the thing Obama is going to create bumps in that friendship? Seems rather weak.

Edit: I haven't had chance to check the stats yet, but going from what I've heard, Obama's visit has had the opposite effect.

He was specifically talking about trade agreements which it most likely will effect. Better to deal with the majority as one group than a lone country.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #364 on: April 27, 2016, 11:00:21 am »

And yet every time SEGA of America localizes a game, my feed is filled with EU people moaning about how they don't have the games (I kid, I kid)

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #365 on: April 27, 2016, 11:49:25 am »
You don't even have decent football, how can you have our respect

One we have 'footbal'l we play the game  with the ball only being allowed to touch the foot, you know Football. And we also do call winners of our domestic leagues 'World Champions'; Remind me again how many teams from around the world are able to play in the NFL ;) :P .

No. No one in the EU actually really cares about the USA.

I think you find the EU does. The EU wants to be its own Superstate and where the USA isn't needed . Wasn't so long ago the Americans hated Europe for its stance on the Iraq war or the EU support for the Palestinians. Seem to remember the USA telling both the EU and the UN where to go . Speaking of the UN when was the last time USA actually paid what it owes to the UN ? 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:55:13 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #366 on: April 27, 2016, 11:51:18 am »
And yet every time SEGA of America localizes a game, my feed is filled with EU people moaning about how they don't have the games (I kid, I kid)

I don'y think it was that along ago that SEGA America was seen as the sick and weak part of SEGA (I kid, I kid)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #367 on: April 27, 2016, 11:59:25 am »

This is also quite vague. Eastern Europe(baltic states at least) for example, is very pro American, because we take the defense of Europe more seriously than most EU states do. We also have decent reps with some of the nordic nations. Really off the top of my head the only country that really has a beef with us is France and that is more of a love hate relationship more than anything.

Everyone else either kinda likes us or feels very bleh about it.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #368 on: April 27, 2016, 04:24:54 pm »
Well, the general sentiment in southern europe about the US seems mixed. There's a strong anti-US sentiment coming from the particularly nasty far left parties. I can only speak in behalf of Portugal, which I have to say, considers the USA an ally or a rival, frankly, depending on which way the wind is blowing.

If the US Adminstration is Republican, no matter who they are, according to the portuguese media outlets, the US military base in the Azores is leeching off valuable resources out of our stagnant economy.
If the US Administration is Democrat, the same portuguese media outlets will worship the US military base in the Azores and hail it as boon to stagnant economy.

And other things as well. During the Bush years, it was Iraq war crimes 24/7, Guantanamo Bay, basically Anything-Gate 24/7, 9/11 conspiracies theories and Hurricane Katrina.

Obama, well, idol-worshipping 24/7 and not much else. Next to nothing on anything that might even cause his administration some mild embarrassment. Clinton, however, has not received the same lenient treatment.

Anyway, Trump won 5 states (which were very Trump-friendly to begin with) and so the gap between him and Cruz has widdened. Can Fiorina running as Cruz's VP bolster his chances to beat Trump? And who will Trump pick as VP? Let's find out soon...

Offline Tad

« Reply #369 on: April 27, 2016, 04:37:29 pm »
Is it actually looking like Trump could win?

Sorry if that's a silly question, but I'm a bit unsure on how the system works over there.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #370 on: April 27, 2016, 07:13:47 pm »
Basically, candidates for each party compete for delegates of all 50 states (not sure if Puerto Rico or the Samoan Islands count) in this early stage. The one who gets the most delegates in these pre-elections gets to be the candidate. After that, it's proper general election.

Those delegates become part of the Electoral College. So during a general election, when a candidate receives the majority in any given state, the delegates picked up by that candidate vote for him, thus awarding him the points necessary to win the Presidency. Get enough points from most the states and you win. Quite a system.

It's very different from european-style democracy. Basically whoever gets the majority seats in parliament, gets to do whatever they want for four years. In the United States, political power is divided into four separate entities (Congress, Senate, Administration and the Supreme Court). This is by design to prevent abuse of power.

And, yes, in all likelyhood, Trump is going to be the Republican nominee. There a chance that Cruz can get the nomination since the upcoming primaries take place in mostly Cruz-friendly states but it's going to be ubber hard, since California is a Trump-friendly state. And Trump winning California is basically a sign to Cruz and Kasich to bow out. Specially Kasich. People have tended to call Trump, a GOP saboteur but the more I think about it, the more I beleive Kasich is the real saboteur.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #371 on: April 27, 2016, 08:05:54 pm »
Puerto Ricans and American Samoans living in their respective countries outside the mainland cannot vote for president.

If they live on the mainland and are registered to an incorporated state they can, but otherwise no they don't count.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #372 on: April 27, 2016, 10:57:51 pm »
Why doesn't Puerto Rico just say "Alright U.S., we're tired of your B.S. We are not a part of you anymore!" Also, what are your opinions of Fiorina being Cruz's VP?

Offline Tad

« Reply #373 on: April 28, 2016, 12:00:48 am »
Basically, candidates for each party compete for delegates of all 50 states (not sure if Puerto Rico or the Samoan Islands count) in this early stage. The one who gets the most delegates in these pre-elections gets to be the candidate. After that, it's proper general election.

Those delegates become part of the Electoral College. So during a general election, when a candidate receives the majority in any given state, the delegates picked up by that candidate vote for him, thus awarding him the points necessary to win the Presidency. Get enough points from most the states and you win. Quite a system.

It's very different from european-style democracy. Basically whoever gets the majority seats in parliament, gets to do whatever they want for four years. In the United States, political power is divided into four separate entities (Congress, Senate, Administration and the Supreme Court). This is by design to prevent abuse of power.

And, yes, in all likelyhood, Trump is going to be the Republican nominee. There a chance that Cruz can get the nomination since the upcoming primaries take place in mostly Cruz-friendly states but it's going to be ubber hard, since California is a Trump-friendly state. And Trump winning California is basically a sign to Cruz and Kasich to bow out. Specially Kasich. People have tended to call Trump, a GOP saboteur but the more I think about it, the more I beleive Kasich is the real saboteur.

Ah, cheers. Seems worrying that Trump could be getting somewhere.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #374 on: April 28, 2016, 05:38:02 am »
It's gonna be hard for Cruz, but not impossible. And to be perfectly honest, as much as I dislike Trump, him becoming President would certainly be certainly a paradigm shitfing event in american politics. I can see the headlines: "Business Man Becomes Leader of the Free World".